Old 06-23-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
River Rails Photography
Banned

Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography
Exclamation Lake Champlain Frequencies?

Hi all...........

I will be heading up to Lake Champlain in NY on Saturday, and I had a few questions regarding the area..... I go up here every summer at least twice as my grandparents own two houses right next to each other.... RIGHT ON THE CP MAIN! This place is in Keesville, by Plattsburgh. I had a few questions, as this summer, I am equipped with a scanner. I wanted to know...

1.)What is the name of this railroad line?

2.) What radio frequencies are used in this area? I have already asked Mr. Knapp, but am not too sure if I will get a response soon enough, though...

Help is DIRELY needed! Thanks!
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
millerm

I can't help you with the name of the road or an exact frequency but I can tell you how I find out what frequency if I don't know.

It's somewhat trial-and-error but has worked well. First, set you scanner to search all of the AAR channels (if you don't know them it's easy to find on Google) and just listen to them for a bit. You may even find a listing sorted by railroad if you're lucky.

>If it's not near a yard -- just a main line passing through:
Adjust your squelch so you have the shortest range possible and just wait. You'll very quickly notice a trend that every time a train goes by there's traffic on one or two channels and it's always the same channel(s). That's it.

>If it's near a yard or other busy area:
Again, adjust your squelch so you have the shortest range possible. If you still pick up lots of stuff on all the channels you may want to pick up a shorter "Race-Scanner" type antenna that's designed for shorter range. If you're lucky there will be a signal or road name that they read off as they pass it (something like "Clear Broadway Signal" or "Approaching Hamiltonís Crossing"). Maybe a station along that route that you can listen for them stopping at too.

Once you know the channel(s) just readjust the squelch so you have maximum coverage and enjoy. I also got a ham-radio type antenna so I can put the antenna on top of my car when I'm out railfanning, it's not necessary but can help you pull in the traffic farther away.

Good luck!
millerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
River Rails Photography
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm
I can't help you with the name of the road or an exact frequency but I can tell you how I find out what frequency if I don't know.

It's somewhat trial-and-error but has worked well. First, set you scanner to search all of the AAR channels (if you don't know them it's easy to find on Google) and just listen to them for a bit. You may even find a listing sorted by railroad if you're lucky.

>If it's not near a yard -- just a main line passing through:
Adjust your squelch so you have the shortest range possible and just wait. You'll very quickly notice a trend that every time a train goes by there's traffic on one or two channels and it's always the same channel(s). That's it.

>If it's near a yard or other busy area:
Again, adjust your squelch so you have the shortest range possible. If you still pick up lots of stuff on all the channels you may want to pick up a shorter "Race-Scanner" type antenna that's designed for shorter range. If you're lucky there will be a signal or road name that they read off as they pass it (something like "Clear Broadway Signal" or "Approaching Hamiltonís Crossing"). Maybe a station along that route that you can listen for them stopping at too.

Once you know the channel(s) just readjust the squelch so you have maximum coverage and enjoy. I also got a ham-radio type antenna so I can put the antenna on top of my car when I'm out railfanning, it's not necessary but can help you pull in the traffic farther away.

Good luck!

Mainline pass through. Problem is, my scanner only has 30 channels. Also, this place is in (literally) the middle of nowhere. Thanks, I already have gotten the frequencies, however. Thanks though! I will certainly try that in other areas where I am unsure of the frequencies.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:37 PM   #4
River Rails Photography
Banned

Lightbulb

FRED frequencies might be needed. This way I can ruin my shots with them

Last edited by River Rails Photography; 06-24-2008 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Feng Shui Issues....
Old 06-25-2008, 12:29 AM   #5
millerm

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rails Photography
Problem is, my scanner only has 30 channels
Does it have a search/scan mode? Maybe you could tell it to scan from 160.000 -162.000. Alternatively, if you wanted a new scanner RadioShack sells the Pro97 (what I use) for about $150 on sale quite often. It has 1000 channels plus several search modes.

Don't know how accurate it is but I just found this on Google -- it sorts the channels by railroad.
http://www.whrc-wi.org/railfreqs.htm

Last edited by millerm; 06-25-2008 at 12:31 AM.
millerm is offline   Reply With Quote