Old 06-20-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
bigbassloyd

Default Anybody ever call in a potential railroad emergency while fanning?

I never thought in a million years I'd ever need the CSX emergency number, but last night proved me wrong..

I was out with my son, driving around to get him to sleep, and I heard
an eastbound coming; U282-15. I see it coming from the road, and the
2nd unit is throwing sparks from its wheels. I fly down to the
crossing at Pence Springs, and try to flag the crew down. They didn't
see me, so I jot down the symbol of the train, and unit number as it
goes by. After it passes I fly up the road to get cell service, and
call the CSX emergency number.
I give them the information, train symbol, unit number, location and a
few minutes later AM dispatcher is on the horn with the crew, telling
them that a 3rd party reported a stuck brake or something on the train.
They get stopped outside of Alderson, WV and inspect the engine. They
call the AM back, and report the brakes were locked tight on the
motor, all shoes burnt off, and the wheels appeared to be scratched
up. As I headed back to the house, they were going to contact the
mechanical desk and see what their options were. I know that train
traveled nearly 10 miles with the brakes stuck that I can verify, and
I'm sure they were stuck a while before I saw it. Detectors didn't
pick up anything wrong with the train either.

Might end up being a long night for the crew, but I hope I prevented
something that would have made it a very bad night.

So whose got a story like this to share? I'd love to read them!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:20 AM   #2
River Rails Photography
Banned

Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography

Well.....

Mine are nowhere as good as yours.

Well, first, I never had to call the CSX number. But, it is a tale of how one bus lost a rear view mirror. While a train was switching, a bus pulled up as the gates went down. Apparently, the driver didn't realize his/her mistake. The gates went down, and right when they went down, the driver noticed that he/she parked too close! The gates were all the way down, and, then, THEY BACK UP!!!!! This almost pulled off the entire mirror! The crew got a good laugh off of that, and, since they knew we were there, they said over the radio 'Did you see that?!'. When they came back past us, my dad and I said 'Oh yeah, they'll have fun explaining that!'.

Another time was that a gate wouldnt go down, and a car missed getting hit...
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:01 AM   #3
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Called in more than one malfunctioning crossing.

One more noticeable one I called in was similar to yours, saw a sparking car on an westbound train on the racetrack and I called it in, but, being earlier in my railfanning career, I had no idea what to call it, and probably confused the person I was talking to. Don't know whatever happened with it.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
J

Was out taking a walk in a park along the UP (WP) north of Stockton a few years ago and heard a repetitive clunking sound as a train rolled by. Walking up to investgate I noted two cracked joint bars with the bond wire still attached. I phoned it in and later enjoyed hearing on my radio a maintainer calling for track time at the location.

Last edited by J; 06-20-2008 at 09:05 PM.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
Ween

I've used BNSF's emergency number once for a hitchhiker in a coal train. Stroy here:
http://forums.railpictures.net/showp...68&postcount=7
Old 06-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
gbrozny

Send a message via ICQ to gbrozny

I called NS a few times to report malfunctioning grade crossings, one time I called in a guy who was riding a Top Gon coal hopper while it is was raining quite hard, he was hanging on to the hand break and appeared to not have that good of a grip. No idea if they caught him or not.
gbrozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
Peter MacCauley

Fortunately, i've never had a reason to use the railroad emergency number, but this is something i heard over the scanner a few months ago. Someone has reported a tankcar leaking, and as it turned out, it was a beer concentrate car. This was about 5 miles after a fresh crew had jumped on board a CP train, in the middle of winter. Needless to say, they were not thrilled about having to walk to the 56th car of a 60 car train. The report ended up being false, and the crew said the only thing leaking from the car was some melting snow. I guess the person must have been a little paranoid, as it is very difficult for something to leak from a modern tank car (especially through the the bottom of the tank).

See my RP photos at:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=18537
Peter MacCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:53 PM   #8
Carl Becker

On the day that my dad took this photo with me:

Image © Louis Becker
PhotoID: 200562
Photograph © Louis Becker

We observed that as the train was going by, it was boucing as it was coming off the bridge. Taking a closer look as the last half of the train went over, we noticed a good sized gap in between the rails and the ballast. We never heard the crew comment about it, so we called it in, and a few days later, we found a large, makeshift gravel road leading up to it, along with a number of trucks everywhere. Needless to say, the problem was fixed almost right away.

~Carl Becker
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:27 AM   #9
TAMR159

I've called the CSX emergency number a few times. Sticking brakes on all counts, which is a very serious matter. If not reported, they can and will quite literally burn the wheel right off, causing a derailment. The one time I reported it, it was a loaded tank car - definitely not something CSX needs derailing (and likely exploding or worse, seeing how it's a 50 MPH train).

Lesson of the day: if you see sparks coming from the wheels/trucks, or if one of the journals is glowing red (burning right through the axle), call the emergency number ASAP! Your call may very well eliminate the next big derailment. And, of course, any other common sense thing. I'll flag down maintainers and point out track defects if I think they warrant attention (I pointed out a frog that didn't look too good, which they promptly put a 10 MPH slow order on before repairing it shortly thereafter).

Just be a good railfan and return the favor. If you are vigilant about these things, and respect the local railroad employees, they'll generally return the favor.
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #10
Ken Carr
Senior Member: Vegasrails

I havenít had the need to call in while east since time is limited for being even near the rails but out west Iíve called the BNSF and UP emergency numbers for stuck brakes sparkling, vehicles on the tracks, extra passengers in the well of a COFC sharing a beer, and someone attempting to go through a crew compartment on a locomotive like this shot
Image © Ken Carr - Vegas Rails
PhotoID: 95365
Photograph © Ken Carr - Vegas Rails
the glow to the right of the power from a flare the person threw at me.
Each occasion in my mind it appears to be an actual problem not guessing since Iíve heard the pros and cons of fan calling alleged emergency that wasnít.
Last on a few occasions I received a call back from the railroad asking for address and other information the first time I thought I must have been in some kind of trouble but found instead dayís later a thank you letter from a manager or on other occasionís packages with small gifts and other goodies. All came as a surprise and made me feel better in making the call.

See what I do for fun along the rails and in the desert

See some of my slide shows

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Last edited by Ken Carr; 06-21-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Ken Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #11
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

I've called in a few crossing malfunctions and a stuck brake.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
millerm

Not personally but I FW'd info for the college to find a number and call in one (track parallels campus parkinglot until it goes under the trees). There was a train starting up and the second engine threw out some fire out which would have been fine if it wasn't 20 feet from going under the low hanging branches.

Could be interesting if it had started a forest fire but it died down enough in time that as far as I know what little flame was left cleared the trees. For a minute I thought I'd be calling the fire dpt to put out the parking lot.
millerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #13
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

We were on Donner just recently, and witnessed a train coming downgrade will some flames from the brakes. I got on the phone and called UP Dispatcher 74 to report it. After staying on hold for 5 minutes, and told him about it. One of our conductor friends got on his packset and reported it to the crew too, then we hear 74 come on and tell the train to stop and inspect it at Gold Run. We drove down there, but they must have checked it quick because they were gone when we got there. After missing him at Gold Run, we ran down to Colfax and got a lot of dirty looks from the crew. DS74 then called the train and asked if they found anything, and the crew said "No, the railfans must not know what they're seeing, darn railfans".

Oh well... You tell me if this is a safety issue:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90e2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	2989  
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:19 AM   #14
Arne H. B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmwelch
Oh well... You tell me if this is a safety issue:
Open flames right now in the forest..Yeah I'd say that's a safety issue all right! With the fires going on in Northern California that could cause another huge one. I would have called it in too.
Arne H. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:55 AM   #15
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne H. B.
Open flames right now in the forest..Yeah I'd say that's a safety issue all right! With the fires going on in Northern California that could cause another huge one. I would have called it in too.

Cough cough, hack hack... I'm tired of the smoke that we're getting in the East Bay! I haven't seen the sun in 4 days due to it, and I'm tired of wiping ashes off the brand new truck.

But, then, it's dirty anyways... Too many trips before the fires to Portola, catch all those bugs on the front. A white truck doesn't help any.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:12 AM   #16
SDavey

I have called the railroad police in Detroit more than a few times because people were breaking into stopped intermodal cars at Delray Junction a few years ago. RR Police have really stepped up patrols in the area and will pace almost every train.

Detroit police officers busted people breaking into a CP boxcar last summer stealing boxes of vodka from a stopped train at 11:30 in the morning. (God I love Detroit.)
SDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:24 AM   #17
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDavey
CP boxcar last summer stealing boxes of vodka from a stopped train at 11:30 in the morning. (God I love Detroit.)
For the first time I'm impressed by the ingenuity of the criminals... how many boxcars would you have to open before you'd find something of some value to an average person?
Old 07-01-2008, 06:39 AM   #18
SDavey

I'm pretty sure the criminals knew what they were doing, just read this news blurb I found on it.

Quote:
Detroit police say they caught two men unloading dozens of cases of Ketel One vodka from a California-bound boxcar. One officer responded, but couldn't reach the men because another train was passing in front of him.

The officer radioed for help -- and could see the men unloading the cases and reloading them into a tractor-trailer.
SDavey is offline   Reply With Quote