Old 12-17-2007, 10:55 PM   #1
cassfan3

Default Backlit/Glint Shots

Hi All,

Admittedly, the backlit/glint sort of shots aren't really my thing, so I typically don't pay them much attention whether they are on this site or coming off my camera. However, I was spending a lazy Sunday afternoon yesterday reading a book under the old freight shed in Rocky Mt. NC watching CSX & Amtrak do their thing, and I shot the below rejected photo. I actually sort of liked it because of the tunnel effect and the long shadows in the foreground. I realize that the dead space in the roof is not great, but it got rejected for (big surprise!) being backlit. I converted it to B&W b/c the left side (behind the supports) seemed too busy in color.

Here she be:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=788529749

Just curious for some thoughts and what yall think since I tend to be backlighting illiterate.

Thanks & Merry Christmas,

Nick McLean
cassfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:15 AM   #2
WKUrailfan

the first thing i think about is the possibly gorgeous color of the light in the scene. Would like to see a non black and white version.
WKUrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:40 AM   #3
JRMDC

I think this is a very nice example of a very nice shot that just doesn't fit the RP style. Also, it looks like if the sun were at your back the structure would be casting a shadow on the engine.

I would appeal, giving some reason why it should be accepted despite having a dark nose, such as the fact that the pole shadows across the ground point toward the direction of motion of the train so it is desirable to have the sun from the back right. And maybe that the sun can't light the nose well at any time of day because of shadow from the structure (if I am correct).

Then, if it is rejected, put it in the personal collection, but with pride. I really like it.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:49 AM   #4
Wizzo

A tighter crop might work better ? Just enough to retain some roof detail. I like the concept.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
cassfan3

I attached a downsized color version...which I'm not so keen on and definitely needs to be brighted up a bit...but since it was asked for here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Copy of P1013833.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	2380  
Old 12-19-2007, 12:55 AM   #6
Mgoldman

I like it! Wish it were mine.

As for RP, don't let that throw you, I have two photos on RP that were initially rejected that are among my highest views. I know of a photo that got a Screener's Choice after initially being rejected.

The photo works well in B&W, much better then the color. It has a 70's feel to it, though maybe it just triggers a vision I had. The photo is very well composed. I would appeal it - I'd like to have my pics complimented with such in the database. Keep experimenting - the photo was one of the best on RP today!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:04 AM   #7
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman
I like it! Wish it were mine.
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman
As for RP, don't let that throw you, I have two photos on RP that were initially rejected that are among my highest views. I know of a photo that got a Screener's Choice after initially being rejected.

The photo works well in B&W, much better then the color. It has a 70's feel to it, though maybe it just triggers a vision I had. The photo is very well composed. I would appeal it - I'd like to have my pics complimented with such in the database. Keep experimenting - the photo was one of the best on RP today!
Ditto.

Back when I was starting to upload to railpix, I had a certain favorite photo rejected. I thought it was a good photo and I gave up on uploading after that. Recently someone else thought that photo was good enough that they paid me $500 to use it in a publication. I think they call that "laughing all the way to the bank." Appeal your photo (tweak the levels first) and see where it goes.

Last edited by John Ryan; 12-19-2007 at 02:58 AM.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
cassfan3

Appealed but still a no go for the same rejection reason. Oh well. Thanks for the kind words yall.

Nick
Old 12-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
Chris Starnes
Administrator

Nick,

Have you considered re-uploading the image after doing some work on the levels? With some more post-processing, I think this one deserves to be in the database.

Chris
Old 12-20-2007, 12:22 AM   #10
cassfan3

Chris, I'm planning on doing just that. I didn't think there was anyway to alter the rejected photo before appealing...is there? I'll play around with it, and see what happens. I've never been one for post processing (don't usually do much besides the crop>downsize>sharpen routine), and my skills with p.s. rival that of most farm animals, but I'll see what I can do.

Any pointers welcome from yall. Thanks again.

nick
Old 12-20-2007, 12:40 AM   #11
Freericks
Met Fan

Nick,

A resubmission is not an appeal. After you alter the photograph, you create a new submission, as if adding it to the database for the first time.

You SHOULD ALWAYS add a comment to the screener explaining why it was rejected before and what you have done to it in order to resubmit it. If you don't do this, the screener, who is looking at lots of pictures, may not realize straight off that you made a change and not know why you are resubmitting.

Charles
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:06 AM   #12
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

I see it being more backlit than glint. I could probably crop it some and adjust the levels to get a glint look, add some saturation too. Scrap the B&W though! I'd like to play with the original myself!
See more of my train photos at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/firehouse16
See my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SoCalRailFan
socalrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote