Old 08-15-2005, 06:11 PM   #1
willie6622

Default Your own favorite shots

I looked back through the forum, & it has been quite awhile since this topic has surfaced. I wondered if some of you would join me in posting your 3 favorite shots, and explain why you like them. These don't have to be your most viewed, but just the ones you personally like.

Mine are:
Image © Willie Brown
PhotoID: 113432
Photograph © Willie Brown
This is a place that I have taken many shots, but this day I seemed to get the focus, lighting, and subject just how I wanted them.

Image © Willie Brown
PhotoID: 108907
I like catching things that are out of the ordinary, and this has 2 of those elements. The first being it is not everyday you see the geometry train, and 2nd to happen to catch a barge boat in the frame is very difficult around here.

Image © Willie Brown
PhotoID: 102771
I tagged along down to the Natural Tunnel with a good friend & hoped I would get something good. When the local showed up, and I could see that the people were going to be in my frame I was upset, but then when I got home & saw the exchange of waves between the engineer and them I was very glad that they were in my shot.

Last edited by willie6622; 08-15-2005 at 07:00 PM.
willie6622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:42 PM   #2
Donna

Great idea Willie. Ok, here goes....

Image © Donna Hanck
PhotoID: 93562
Photograph © Donna Hanck
First visit to Pine Junction in Indiana-new camera. I wasn't sure how a shot like this would turn out.

Image © Donna Hanck
PhotoID: 102623
Photograph © Donna Hanck
As much as I go to Delray Junction in Detroit, MI. This is the really first decent shot of an engine going by the tower that I have ever gotten. It was a nice sunny day and the fact that it was a BNSF was even better yet.

Image © Donna Hanck
PhotoID: 105396
Photograph © Donna Hanck
On this one I waited it out to see if two things would happen, it had to be a nice looking sunset and a train had to come by before the sunset was over.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:48 PM   #3
jweber33

Default Trees and Moorpark

Image © F.JOLLY
PhotoID: 109879
Photograph © F.JOLLY

I don't know why it's this one.

Last edited by jweber33; 08-19-2005 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Add sentence
jweber33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:20 PM   #4
hoops

Image © Keegan Goss
PhotoID: 115048
Photograph © Keegan Goss

My favorite bacause it's my only good shot of a meet between trains.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:11 PM   #5
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

At first I didn't like this shot and didn't really have any intentions of uploading it. However, the more I looked at it the more I liked it. This was my second photo accepted to the database, and first ever night shot accepted. It's one of those shots where I happened to get lucky.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

So I got bored one night and decided to try my hand at some more night photography. I'd shot from the bridge several times during the day and thought that it would be a cool night shot. After several tests, I knew that this shot would be a keeper, and that all I needed was for a train to move. While I was working on it in photoshop, I thought, "How would this look as a black & white shot?"

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

This is probably my best shot overall. I had tried this shot a few months prior, but my camera battery died about two seconds before I pressed the shutter. Go figure. So here it is in late July I find a reason to leave the house because I didn't want to stick around for a yard sale. For the last shot of the day, I stopped at Palm. Hearing 124 coming up behind me, and 175 coming south, I started up the hill. Luckily, the camera battery didn't die on me this time, and the results were most excellent.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:59 PM   #6
trainmonster

Well, if I had a favorite from the database from years ago, it'd be this one after a quick look:

Image © Richard Hart
PhotoID: 83128
Photograph © Richard Hart

The fact that I loved the old MU's, and with the lighting and the WTC in the bg, stirs me up pretty good.

For a recent:

Image © Richard Hart
PhotoID: 106222

For a change, the lighting, sun, everything all clicked and I was pleased with the result.

Also-having grabbed this one in the last couple weeks:

Image © Richard Hart
PhotoID: 115021

shot near the top of 'recent favorites' list. NS looks better in B&W anyway, to me.

Rich

Last edited by trainmonster; 08-16-2005 at 11:02 PM.
trainmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:00 PM   #7
Wade H. Massie

I'm not sure how to insert photos into a message so I'll just post a few links:

LTV Steel Fs on the dock at Taconite Harbor moments before sunset:

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=63150

Conrail freight passing an ancient blast furnace:

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=64173

Night shot of a W&LE grain train in Connellsville (this is the photo next to my s/n):

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=52072

-Wade

www.WadesImages.com
Wade H. Massie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:06 PM   #8
trainmonster

Finally got the frackin' thing to work!

[photoid=5digitphotonumber]

Image © Wade H. Massie
PhotoID: 63150
Photograph © Wade H. Massie

Image © Wade H. Massie
PhotoID: 64173
Photograph © Wade H. Massie

I like this one! Abandoned steel mill gives it a real chilling effect. (like, our industrial base going down the crapper)

Rich

Last edited by trainmonster; 08-16-2005 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:45 AM   #9
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Smile A Little Change to the Post

Instead of showing your favorite photos you took, go back and find your favs of the person above you such as these:

Image © Richard Hart
PhotoID: 108446

Image © Richard Hart
PhotoID: 104248

Image © Richard Hart
PhotoID: 95044

Image © Richard Hart
PhotoID: 90346

Image © Richard Hart
PhotoID: 83128

Image © Richard Hart
PhotoID: 76739

Great stuff, Rich! There were a lot more that I could have added but these are my favorites. Very nice work.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:21 AM   #10
trainmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Instead of showing your favorite photos you took, go back and find your favs of the person above you such as these:

Great stuff, Rich! There were a lot more that I could have added but these are my favorites. Very nice work.

Oooops... I'll have to take a look-see after I come back-early in the AM I'm leaving for Cresson. Freight for Real Men! Yeah, baby! Thanks a lot for the comliments!

Rich

Last edited by trainmonster; 08-17-2005 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:45 AM   #11
ccaranna

Default Super cool thread!

Here are my three favorite, then below my three of Andrew's:

Most recently this one made the "Screener's Choice" section, and I was really pumped up to find it there...

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

This one is along the same lines, but the light was absolutely perfect. I really lucked out on it, as traffic here NEVER goes into the light, and the train had helpers which game a chance to shoot something other than a FRED.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Finally, my first uploaded photo that I've posted here on the forums many times-

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Now for Andrew's: (Lots to choose from! )

My favorite locomotive in a familiar scheme in my part of the world...

Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 102785
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

I love high trestle shots...

PhotoID: 87814

I'm a sucker for shots of people working on the railroad...

PhotoID: 81310

Chuck

Last edited by ccaranna; 08-20-2005 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Typos
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:43 AM   #12
mtrails

It's a good thing I only have 65 phtos to pick from! Here's my top 3:
Image © mtrails
PhotoID: 113255
Photograph © mtrails

Driving along a frontage road, I saw this view and slammed on the brakes. (well, not really). It was difficult to find a place to park, since tall grass is along the roadside. I was pleased to see my photo in the screener's choice!
Image © mtrails
PhotoID: 112671
Photograph © mtrails

I like this photo, because of reflection in the water. This is probably the only place within 100 miles where water is still enough near the tracks to get a decent reflection.
Image © mtrails
PhotoID: 79106
Photograph © mtrails

This has been my all time favorite photo. The leading loco is BNSF 9297 (Great Pumkin), and the sun poked out of the dark clouds soon enough for the shot. I like the reflective paint standing out on the loco, and the dark background.

Favorite ccaranna:
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

First of all, I like the colorful consist, especially an SP up front, and second, the composition and shadows.
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

The city backdrop... it's just nice!
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

I like the time travel feature of the photo. I like the loco heading toward the tower, rather than the coming from. Great shot!
mtrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:37 AM   #13
cblaz

Time for me to join in on the fun. Here are three of my favorites, and three of mtrails' best.

Image © Christopher Blaszczyk
PhotoID: 37827
Photograph © Christopher Blaszczyk

One of my older photos is of Steamtown's Water Gap specials in October 2003. On the last weekend of the trips, we chased the trip and were about a 1/4 of a mile down the line waiting for the train. It never showed, and the scanner came alive with a lot of radio chatter, so we backtracked and this site greeted us. It's not as good as the other two I have on, but it shows the tender leaning to the side after the loco rolled the rail.

PhotoID: 90137

We planned our 2004 summer trip to visit the DMIR and then chase UP 3985 from Trenton, MO to Boone, IA. Just a few miles north of Trenton, 3985 is already up to track speed on the UP Spine Line. This is probably my favorite of the dozen or so shots we got of it that day.

PhotoID: 91649

One of my all-time favorites is this grab shot I got at the Cassandra railfan outlook in PA. After shooting the head end in sweet afternoon light, I turned around to see this shot. Even better is the fact that the train is all trailers, a rare sight in the age of COFC.

Now on to mtrails' shots. Even though he only has 65 pics, they're all great, so it was a pretty hard choice.

Image © mtrails
PhotoID: 114012
Photograph © mtrails

A great panaroma shot. Almost feels like a model railroad, with a beautifully painted backdrop. SHows the variety of terrain in the state very well.

Image © mtrails
PhotoID: 75641
Photograph © mtrails

Interesting angle on this shot. You can almost feel the bridge shake. Also, MRL is always a nice change of pace from the big Class Is.

Image © mtrails
PhotoID: 93582
Photograph © mtrails

This shot is easily my favorite of the bunch. When you think of Montana, your think of rugged mountain scenery, but this shot really shows why Montana is "Big Sky Country." Keep up the good work.
cblaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:57 AM   #14
Ken Carr
Senior Member: Vegasrails

Default Favorite photos

Well I have more than a few favorites. So after reviewing my posted photos I chose three recent to semi recent ones.
The first is UP 1982 heading northeast out of Las Vegas at the bottom of the Apex S curve. A comedy of errors delayed my departure from Las Vegas earlier in the morning I had actually planned on taking a few night photos in the early AM then head north east and intercept the train within Meadow Valley Wash. I was running late and decided not to chance going to far out of town since I knew ( due to an earlier phone call that I had to go back to work on my day off. Hence I met up with two other railfans at Apex and during our brief conversation as the sun shifted and I worried about my shot the train appeared.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=114580
The second photo was a planned grab shot of sorts. I enjoy taking night photos even tho many of them land in the rejection side of this site. I just can't seem to take a light enough photo in the dark (lol). But getting out of the house one late evening this last summer I heard on the scanner this Gevo preparing to come back out on to the main. Showing up, they were having problems with a air hose and I had an additional few minutes, with the fire going up in the mountains the train moved a little closer towards the signal and here's the shot.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=110497
The third of this three a early evening photo. Once again delays courtesy of my job gave me a late start out to the transcon some 140 miles away. I started at Ludlow and with loosing light headed east toward Needles traveling a long Route 66. Stopping at Amboy I took some photos of the town and then head back to the tracks where from the east came an westbound stack. I played with different angles as the train appraoched in the distance finally at the crossing of Route 66, With another set of lights behind me in the distance. I set up on the siding and photographed the on coming train.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=83823
hope you enjoyed them as much as I do, I tried adding the photo like most of you but seems all it says is PhotoID and the number...Ken

See what I do for fun along the rails and in the desert

See some of my slide shows

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Last edited by Ken Carr; 08-19-2005 at 07:05 AM.
Ken Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:41 PM   #15
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

My three favorites:

This one has nice sun, nice color, is a special scheme, and was the first and only time I have been able to catch two trains at once here, even though it happens quite often. This was originally going to just be a zoomed in wedgie until I saw 111 coming, at which time I set up in a different spot and recomposed.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

I like this one because it captures a different perspective of railroading. Rather than a train zooming down the tracks, it is a recrewing of a train. The low light isn't too bad, either.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

I would say this is my favorite, except I have some issues with the way the train is not centered. That could have been avoided, but I was a hair too far, and you can't just come to a stop on this overpass. Anyway, it represents where I am from, so I like it for that reason. The lighting was good, too, and it is from a viewpoint you don't see too often.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.

Last edited by 4kV; 08-31-2005 at 08:59 PM.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:56 PM   #16
4kV

OK, now for the person above me, Ken Carr.....

Image © Ken Carr
PhotoID: 21569
Photograph © Ken Carr

This one just has the look of a kid waiting behind the corner to jump out and scare someone.

Image © Ken Carr - Vegas Rails
PhotoID: 83223
Photograph © Ken Carr - Vegas Rails

One of many night shots in his portfolio, I like this one better because of the green signal.

PhotoID: 90065

I like the way the rails curve and reflect some of the lighting

PhotoID: 86191

One of many meet shots, too. I like this one because of the variety of power.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:03 PM   #17
Flowing

my favorites:

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 103579
Photograph © John Higginson

This shot encompasses many of the characteristics of my much-beloved West Point Route, including the signal and block board.

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 94901

The shot of the day from a great day of railfanning.

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 90658

One of those pictures where the train is just a part of the scene; I tend to like 'busy' shots where there's a lot to see.

my favorites of N691LF's:

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

excellent compostion and lighting

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

love the silhouette shots

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

interesting location, great lighting... like I said I like shots where there's much more than just the train to take in
Flowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:47 PM   #18
jweber33

I posted my favorite earlier in the thread -- I changed it though to a "not favorite". Here are three of John Higginson's that I like:

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 113112

I like the tall signal.

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 109004

Well-composed and beautiful.

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 95866

This one reminds me of Wisconsin. Now for mine:

Image © Jeff Weber
PhotoID: 112666
Photograph © Jeff Weber

It's a Sounder engine in L.A, so it's "unique" compared to the normal Metrolink engines. Also, there is a freight sitting in the slide. Glendale may not be a scenic station, but it's always a good photo spot.

Last edited by jweber33; 08-19-2005 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Add more
jweber33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:44 AM   #19
nsnscalerailfan

Send a message via AIM to nsnscalerailfan

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 113764
Photograph © Greg Dahbura

I like this shot of mine for obvious reasons. I had waited for an hour in perfect lowlight, only to watch the sun get lower and lower and the lighting worse and worse.... Then as an act of desperation I went to the other side of the tracks... Got a silhouette shot of that train, then the sunset got even better after the train past and I opted for a crossing gate silhouette. I guess the fact I didn't give up after missing on the good lighting and the train as well as the sheer beauty of the sunset is why I like that one so much.

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 112044

I like this one a lot.. If you haven't noticed my avatar, LOL. Anyways, I like the composition and the fisherman...etc etc etc. My buddies attempted that same shot but notice the nose light was not great, and they attempted more "nosy" shots... going farther away worked for the better in my opinion.

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 112381

I like this one mainly because of the composition.... and also because it was the only train in sunlight during my breif trip to Detroit. If you look carefully you'll see evidence of two more trains.
nsnscalerailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:56 AM   #20
nsnscalerailfan

Send a message via AIM to nsnscalerailfan

OK..... now for Jeff.......

Image © Jeff Weber
PhotoID: 102831
Photograph © Jeff Weber

I like this shot a lot. The beach... the train.... The composition is really good. The bridge offers depth too. Very nice shot.

Image © Jeff Weber
PhotoID: 103372
Photograph © Jeff Weber

I like this shot because, first of all it's a pair of SP's, which I hardly see. And second of all the train is interesting.... 2 locos, a car and a caboose..... It shows the quiet side of railroading. The crossing equipment by the station is interesting too... Very nice shot.

Image © Jeff Weber
PhotoID: 115564
Photograph © Jeff Weber

Another nice shot... That hotel is pretty interesting. Cab control cars are underrated.... shots with them are different. One question.... did they turn a cannery into a hotel? That's pretty interesting.
nsnscalerailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 05:23 AM   #21
Ween

Okay, here're my favorites of Greg's:

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 108593

I love this shot. The B&W and the composition give it such life.

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 108879

I love the hunchback C39-8, especially from above.

Image © Greg Dahbura
PhotoID: 110346

Sometimes you get lucky...even if you drive a Metro!

Now for mine:

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 112983
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus

I love the lighting and mood in this shot. This is why I got the camera/lens combo I did: to get shots like this!

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 99314

Again, I love the lighting. I love SD60Ms. And I like curves...especially in North Dakota!

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 102423

I like the combination of rarities in this one: stacks in Grand Forks, Norfolk Southern up here, and a thunderstorm background with good subject light.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:18 PM   #22
ssw9662

Great shots everyone!

I only have 6 photos on RP (All are crappy IMO but if the next person wants he can post his 3 favorites for ridicule ), so I'll just post my favorites by Chris.

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 84179

I like this shot, the down on the ground angle and the cool looking clouds add a lot to the pic.

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 45460

I like the Christmas theme on this one, puts me in a Christmas mood three months early.

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 115674

This shot has good composition IMO. Those clouds hanging on the mountain brings it over the top for me.

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 100223

Sunset shots are always pretty cool, and this is no exception.

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 115930

I like this one because it looks as if the Hirailer is going to hit the SD70Mac, though it's just "tailgating" On a more serious note, it would be cool to photograph a train going towards the camera on that S curve.

Next poster, flame away at my shots.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 03:40 PM   #23
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

i love this pic very much as its the first pic for egyptian train in the database
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

this pic was caught by the admin of WDL group(world diesel locomotives)
and i uploaded it to this great website
(if you like an idea,thought alot in it and worked hard for it.you will get it)
click here 2 c my pix @ rp.net
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:24 PM   #24
4kV

What's up with the comment on this picture?

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Old 08-20-2005, 05:22 PM   #25
Ween

Quote:
On a more serious note, it would be cool to photograph a train going towards the camera on that S curve.
I thought so too, and I tried with the DPUs since the tail-ender was pointed in the correct direction. But the sun wasn't agreeing with me:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...aspx?id=174000
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...aspx?id=173998

Moe Bertrand got one coming the other way:

Image © Moe Bertrand
PhotoID: 4510
Photograph © Moe Bertrand