Old 11-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #26
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Since I have APS-C camera's, I also use the superb 10-22mm which is, as far as anyone is concerned, L glass in disguise.
Too bad it's not L build. My 10-22, which I bought back in the spring, is already having focusing issues. I've resorted to having to manually focus most of the time, which slows me down on the job. Hopefully I can get a replacement under warranty.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #27
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Canon 10-22 is a steamy turd, and to call it anything near L glass level is offensive

Maybe a bit harsh, but that's the one lens I wouldn't reccomend for anyone lol
Quote:

I've used most of the available ultra wides for a canon body, and I consider it the more expensive, lesser performing, worst constructed option for the Canon mount.
NOW you say that. Had I read these comments six months ago, I may have purchased something different. What do you suggest that is "better" than the Canon 10-22 in terms of image quality?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #28
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
NOW you say that. Had I read these comments six months ago, I may have purchased something different. What do you suggest that is "better" than the Canon 10-22 in terms of image quality?
Good question. I'm thinking about getting a 10-22.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:36 AM   #29
JRMDC

I've had nothing but positive outcomes with my 10-22.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #30
bigbassloyd

I spent a weekend with a Tokina 11-16, and a Canon 10-22 courtesy of an awesome retailer that was local to me. I wanted to get the absolute best lens I could, and I had no experience with ultra wides to that point. Long story short, it didn't take the entire weekend to determine what lens I wanted, and it blew my mind because it wasn't the Canon. The Tokina was sharper at any setting, had a constant wider aperture, was better built, had a better warranty, came with a lens hood, and was cheaper. The only downside I could find was the Tokina (and as I discovered later on, the Sigmas) flare a little bit more. I don't consider the lack of focal range a downside, as I can usually take 3 steps forward

Since then, I've went on to play with quite a few ultra wides, and while I haven't found another one that beats the Tokina, I've found several that hangs with, or beats the Canon.

Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, Sigma 8-16 f4.5 / 5.6 would be my recommendation in that order. But in all honesty, there's no need to go past the first option

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 11-05-2013 at 04:37 AM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:38 AM   #31
magicman_841

My only complain with the Sigma is the heavy CA at some settings. Easily fixable in post, tho.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:43 AM   #32
bigbassloyd

CA is just one of those things that happens with any rectilinear lens. Thank goodness for post process right?

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:49 AM   #33
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I spent a weekend with a Tokina 11-16, and a Canon 10-22 courtesy of an awesome retailer that was local to me. I wanted to get the absolute best lens I could, and I had no experience with ultra wides to that point. Long story short, it didn't take the entire weekend to determine what lens I wanted, and it blew my mind because it wasn't the Canon. The Tokina was sharper at any setting, had a constant wider aperture, was better built, had a better warranty, came with a lens hood, and was cheaper. The only downside I could find was the Tokina (and as I discovered later on, the Sigmas) flare a little bit more. I don't consider the lack of focal range a downside, as I can usually take 3 steps forward
Ok, you've got my attention. I'll see if my local store carries this one.