Old 09-07-2011, 04:12 AM   #1
KevinM

Talking Bambi strikes a pose

I've almost broken myself of the futile habit of submitting anything but pretty wedgies in the evening.

Caught this wildlife shot just a minute or two before a train came plowing through. Thought it was pretty cute that this pair decided to pose for me in a most appropriate spot! A bit surprised that neither one gave me "the paw".

But, we all know that shots depicting brazen acts of trespassing are automatically PEQ'd.

Look if ya like!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=839739055

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
Ron Flanary

Well......I like it! If they had been males, I would have said "the bucks stop here."
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

I like it.

I think it would get top 24 easy.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
troy12n
Banned

That's a head scratcher...

Maybe it needs a boat?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

I think the scene is too cluttered for it to work. The bridge sort of distracts from the scene and the person that is randomly placed on the left side doesn't help too much.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
I think the scene is too cluttered for it to work. The bridge sort of distracts from the scene and the person that is randomly placed on the left side doesn't help too much.

Chase
Hi Chase,

I was concerned about the complexity of the scene as well as the ability of the viewer to see detail in the animals and the sign. It is already cropped pretty significantly over the way it was shot for those reasons. I disagree that the bridge is distracting, only because it gives the viewer a sense of place. Folks who follow the narrow gauge will recognize this spot instantly as one of the most popular locations from which to shoot the trains leaving downtown Durango. With respect to the railroader, I also think his presence lends interest in that these two deer have me on one side of them and him closing rapidly on the other, yet they seem completely unfazed.

I thought it was a cute shot and yes, I thought it might grab some views. I try to post material that people will find interesting, but that is getting progressively more difficult. The audience wants to see different things. I have a hard drive full of pretty steam wedgies that will get maybe 300 views in 24 hrs.....but RP is overrun with that kind of stuff on a daily basis. Every time I think about posting one of those, I can envision the audience all yawning.

I do find it odd....very odd....that the site welcomes dull derailments, wrecks, washouts and abandonments, but a decently lit shot of wildlife on a very active line within a block of a busy downtown is PEQ. Go figure.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I do find it odd....very odd....that the site welcomes dull derailments, wrecks, washouts and abandonments, but a decently lit shot of wildlife on a very active line within a block of a busy downtown is PEQ. Go figure.
That was pretty much along my lines of thinking as well.

Although, I will say, I like some of the abandoned pictures, as long as there is compelling content. A picture of a dirt road with no railroad content does nothing for me.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I think the photo would have worked without the guy in it. It's really distracting to the eye...where am I supposed to look?

Truly interesting photos are hard to come by. I haven't uploaded anything in months....but something will come up. There's no rush.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
jnohallman

Appeal and include links to both the bear shot and the crappy - wait, that's "crap" - shot.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #10
bigbassloyd

Where's Goldman and his damn dog photo?

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:25 AM   #11
Northern Limits

I think it would have been better with the field of view shifted to the left - cut out the yard sign and show the full width of the bridge. The person is a railway employee and to my thinking is part of the scene.
The other option would be to crop tighter so that the deer and the sign behind them are the defined subject (include the wooden part of the bridge structure).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3480.1315362294.jpg (914.0 KB, 201 views)

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Last edited by Northern Limits; 09-08-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #12
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Limits View Post
I think it would have been better with the field of view shifted to the left - cut out the yard sign and show the full width of the bridge.
Full width of the bridge, but I'd keep the yard sign. And I think it also would have made a difference if the rr employee had been looking up at the deer instead of downward. That would have brought him more into the scene instead of making him look like a randomly placed person.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:54 AM   #13
Dennis A. Livesey

The subject is interesting and the caption is fun but as a photo, it lacks.

While the bridge and the employee may give a sense of place, they both wreck the composition.

You say it has been heavily cropped and thus probably not enough left for a decent image but here is a suggestion anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3480.1315362294.jpg (326.4 KB, 184 views)

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:15 AM   #14
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
The subject is interesting and the caption is fun but as a photo, it lacks.

While the bridge and the employee may give a sense of place, they both wreck the composition.

You say it has been heavily cropped and thus probably not enough left for a decent image but here is a suggestion anyway.
Hi Dennis,

I appreciate the suggestions. The image came from a 16 MP D7000, so I do have the latitude to crop as you propose, but I really just posted the shot for whatever enjoyment or laughs people might get from it. I have no intention of resubmitting it. The evening scrooge ..uh...Screener called it a PEQ. Recropping it probably won't change its lack of esthetic quality. Despite the fact that there are tons of wildlife shots in the DB, I don't intend to appeal it either.

I need to go shoot some really ugly wrecks and derailments. Those have more esthetic quality than animals do.

Thanks,

My RP stuff is here.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:03 AM   #15
Dennis A. Livesey

Kevin

Did my crop do anything for you?

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 09-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #16
Northern Limits

Dennis - your crop is almost the same as the one I posted

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:44 AM   #17
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Limits View Post

Dennis - your crop is almost the same as the one I posted
Gee Jim, i didn't see your post. I guess I didn't look before I leaped.

Then again, my version is better.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 09-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #18
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Where's Goldman and his damn dog photo?

Loyd L.
To the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
The images of mine in question are all attempts of doing some unique... Certainly not the best images on RP, but I think they're outside of the box, have enough interest, and achieve what I intended them to.
Chase
To quote your own words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I do find it odd....very odd....that the site welcomes dull derailments, wrecks... and washouts, but a decently lit shot of wildlife on a very active line within a block of a busy downtown is PEQ. Go figure.
To paraphrase my own words.

A refreshing shot, Kevin - wish there was a place for it on RP.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #19
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
A refreshing shot, Kevin - wish there was a place for it on RP.
Maybe, but let's think of this differently. In what category - current or hypothetical - would one put Kevin's shot?

- wedgie - no

- scenic - no

- context - by which I mean a non-scenic setting in which the RR is present - no

- infrastructure - the yard limit sign is strongly present but secondary. The bridge, in the wider versions, is poorly captured. - no

- artistic - totally snapshotty in feel, no

- whimsy - yes - but RP does not do whimsy. Should it?

- oddities - yes - should RP do oddities, with no other photographically meritorious aspects?

What is the place that RP should have for such shots, if any?

PS: I am unable at the moment to think of a better phrase than "photographically meritorious", sorry. Really awkward, I know.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #20
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Maybe, but let's think of this differently. In what category - current or hypothetical - would one put Kevin's shot?
Do we really need to single this one out and categorize it? There are hundreds of images accepted on RP, one of them, real crap, that have gotten accepted that do not fit a category.

How about - chill and enjoy?

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #21
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
- chill and enjoy?

/Mitch
Sorry, but that sounds too much like an add for Bartles & James.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #22
JRMDC

Quote:
Do we really need to single this one out and categorize it? There are hundreds of images accepted on RP, one of them, real crap, that have gotten accepted that do not fit a category.

How about - chill and enjoy?
Thinking through issues is a form of pleasure. It can and is done without having to chill or unchill.

I singled it out only because you singled it out. Sensibly, I might add, because the entire thread has singled this image out. And it's a thread initiated by the creator of said image. Really, Mitch, get with the program, forum-wise.

And so I responded to your specific turn of phrase "a place for it on RP." I took that and ran with it. If you don't want to join, fine. If it was a throw-away line by you, fine. No one has to continue participating in a thread. Move along, Mitch! Bye!

It should be obvious to any long- or medium-timer on these boards that I engage in occasional delusions of analytical grandeur, at least at the magnitude of a forum post. I like to!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #23
KevinM

Unbelieveable that this thread lives long after the rejection has died. The shot was never intended to be artsy fartsy or have any deep meaning. I recorded something that happens frequently on wilderness lines like the DSNG. I didn't go looking for it. It just happened before my eyes as I was waiting for 461 on a sunny morning and I was lucky enough to catch it in good light. I thought it interesting because it happened in broad daylight in a public park that is frequented by joggers, cyclists, walkers....and trains. It was within a block of downtown Durango and literally two minutes before train time. The little critters even posed in front of one of those ubiquitous DSNG NT signs. I thought it was pretty cute, so I submitted it. After all, there are plenty of other similar shots in the DB. None of them has any deep meaning either.

Perhaps if the K-36 had been running Bambi over, it would have been more interesting and acceptable to the masses?

My RP stuff is here.