Old 07-14-2010, 02:28 AM   #1
cassfan3

Default Cropping Monster Part...Whatever

Hi all,

Again I've struck out this week and am in need of your expert opinions once more. My last rejection I could agree with...just a matter of personal taste. However, this one I'm a bit confused about. It seemed pretty straight forward to me, but maybe things are a little tight on the edges? I don't have much more room to work with as I couldn't go any wider or stand any farther back. I'm puzzled; hence the need for more objective opinions

Thanks as always!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=834594&key=0

-Nick McLean
Greenville, NC
cassfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:11 AM   #2
JRMDC

Bottom heavy, especially with the people lower left who are disappearing into the corner. Crop the top until you are down to 3:2. No need to preserve sky above the tree in the back middle, I see why one might do it, but it hurts more than it helps.

Too bad about the light, a cloud seems to have come by at the wrong time.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:17 AM   #3
JimThias

Bad wide angle distortion giving it a sense of leaning to the left. I'd work on fixing that as well.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Mgoldman

Nice shot Nick! I feel your pain.

The photo may be just infinitesimally high in crop - RP thrives on the rule of thirds and there is something about the crop that makes the trains almost seem centered. Despite being a horizontal shot, it almost looks square or even vertical in composition. Maybe cut some off the top and even a hair off the bottom - to get it in.

I see your reasons for the crop - nice buffer space and inclusion of all the un cut elements. Don't you wish all photos on RP got the same zero-tolerence?

Speaking of "Crop Monster whatever..." Anyone wondering if there is a new secret screener? Seems this issue is more prevelant then ever.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
Dennis A. Livesey

Nick

I find the cropping uncomfortable as is. Too tight overall.

Other things. The front loco "touches" the rear one at the same point we have a cut-off human and an ugly soda container. Then the cyclone fence shed and another person is distracting.

Finally, the processing has that same heavy black that your B&W shot of the mechanic on No. 154's smokebox door had which I find unappealing.

Content is another matter. The locos are immaculate, the news about No. 154's first day the glitches interesting and as a news photo it has impact.

Please remember, this is just my $.02.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
cassfan3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Other things. The front loco "touches" the rear one at the same point we have a cut-off human and an ugly soda container. Then the cyclone fence shed and another person is distracting.

Finally, the processing has that same heavy black that your B&W shot of the mechanic on No. 154's smokebox door had which I find unappealing.
The cutoff person/tender/soda cut etc all bug me too, but composition was about the best I could do and still get both in the frame not to mention with all the people milling around, this shot had the least amoung of cut off/obstructing people of the ones I got. I thought the two sitting side by side with fresh paint was worth of posting even with the imperfections.

As for the too-black-blacks, I'm guessing that's a combination of a new (very bright) monitor on my end/ fresh paint/ or changing personal preference.

-Nick McLean
Greenville, NC
cassfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
KevinM

Hi Nick,

I don't see this as an "artsy-fartsy" picture, so the presence of the spectator, the cyclone fence and the drink container don't bother me all that much. In a perfect world, you could have staged this without those things.....but this isn't a perfect world and you weren't shooting a museum display, you were shooting a working yard. When I look at this shot, I see two pretty locomotives, not all sorts of imperfections.

I'm also fine with the "breathing space" that exists on either side of the locomotives. If the shot has balance problems, it probably does have too much on top....but to fix it, you have to cut off the tree top. If that's what it takes to get the shot on and you really want to show the picture, I would find the neatest top-trim and go for it. Last week, I had to cut one of my own shots up in what I considered an awkward way to get it accepted.

As for depth of the depth of the blacks, I am wondering if there's fresh paint and/or a wash-job that could be throwing folks off. If the crews have recently painted and or cleaned the locomotives, they might just really be a gloss black....vs. the filthy sooty color that most folks expect. I saw the same thing recently at the Wilmington & Western when they painted their engines. I am assuming that you've adjusted on the blacks slider and you see no clipping on the left. If that's the case, it is what it is.

Thx!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote