Old 03-20-2009, 02:35 AM   #1
cassfan3

Default Cropping Help Anyone?

Hi all,

I've got two rejected shots for yall to take a look at. Both nailed for bad cropping. I'll agree that just a light engine does not fill up a big shot all that well since I was shooting from so far away, and I only had 150mm at my disposal. Still, I liked the shots since there isn't really any coverage of NC State Port ops on RP. Perhaps I've been out of practice too long and I have lost the "eye" for such a seen. Hope not! Anywho, advice, criticism, etc. welcome. If nothing else, I find ports kind of interesting, so hopefully the forum folk will too!

Here they are:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=414458440

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=663218639

Thanks!

-Nick McLean
Greenville, NC
cassfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:39 AM   #2
cassfan3

I attached (if it worked correctly) two more if anyone is interested in taking a peak...one of them shows the drawspan that connects Morehead City with Radio Island.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of P1015811.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	526.4 KB
ID:	3948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of P1015817.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	537.4 KB
ID:	3949  

-Nick McLean
Greenville, NC
Old 03-20-2009, 03:08 AM   #3
cblaz

Nick,

I believe the main problem these shots suffer from is too much sky. With a cloudless, blue sky, you should have included more water. A good rule of thumb is: When you open the thumbnail in a new window and all you see is sky, making you scroll to get to the meat of the shot, you have too much sky.

If you crop down some of the shots, without losing quality, you might have a chance.

- Chris
Old 03-20-2009, 03:16 AM   #4
JRMDC

These are tough! I will stick to the tug shot because I have no suggestions for the other one - it is fine but without that engine being more obvious I'm not sure what to recommend.

The tug shot has a common problem, everything is in the middle and there is a boring sky above (no clouds, bad luck for photos sometimes!). So you need to move something. I suggest cropping at the top a bit, because plain blue sky is more boring than textured blue water, and also crop from the right a bit, as you need to get things a bit bigger, I think.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
DWHonan

My personal opinion -- and yes, this is coming from a guy who not too long ago posted the infamous "three points of light" sunset shot -- is that there isn't a readily-identifiable "railroad" feel to these images. I really had to search the two rejected shots to locate the dark blue loco that matches the color of the water and was placed in front of a shadowed part of the background. The bridge it's on doesn't stand out as a bridge -- it looks like a pier. I'm not saying the shots shouldn't be accepted, but instead am trying to point out why the composition is difficult to effectively highlight the photo's subject to the viewer. A bit of elevation of different lighting conditions might help for next time.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:56 AM   #6
cassfan3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
My personal opinion -- and yes, this is coming from a guy who not too long ago posted the infamous "three points of light" sunset shot -- is that there isn't a readily-identifiable "railroad" feel to these images. I really had to search the two rejected shots to locate the dark blue loco that matches the color of the water and was placed in front of a shadowed part of the background. The bridge it's on doesn't stand out as a bridge -- it looks like a pier. I'm not saying the shots shouldn't be accepted, but instead am trying to point out why the composition is difficult to effectively highlight the photo's subject to the viewer. A bit of elevation of different lighting conditions might help for next time.
Gasp, a 3 points of light shot! How dare you taint my thread with such? But seriously, I agree fully. The neutral color of the loco doesn't stand out and is definitely working against me. (as is the "horizontal line-of-interest" composition betwixt a sea of sky and sea of...sea) Unfortunately, as would be expected, public viewing of the port is limited, and this is the first time in many visits that I've caught one of their engines in this exposed spot where visible on the water front.

The attached pic with the drawbridge had previously been rejected a while back as "train too far away" which I also understand. Unfortunately, the bridge gives that one the most RR feel to it. I think what I like about the operation was the little switchers really do seem lost...the place just doesn't have a RR feel to it, but it's a RR just the same. That's their element. (However, in comparison to the 3 points shot...which I really like btw...I'm given to head scratching about the 'train too far away' rejection these days. No matter, when I run my own site, I can decide these things for myself

Thanks for the feedback.

-Nick McLean
Greenville, NC
Old 03-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
Joe the Photog

I agree with the too much sky comment, but I like hat you're trying to do, especially on the first attachment and to a lesser extent on the first reject. I tend to wonder if a caption explaining the scene better -- including how hard it is to catch this unit -- ighthave helped. Consider it a project; I think there's a good chance to get this one in.

Joe