Old 09-26-2019, 10:46 PM   #1
Joe the Photog

Default Butt, is it a good shot?

Aside from the foreground obstruction and that it is leaning by at least 1% CCW, come on, guys! SMH Are the new sceeeners all teenaged boys?

https://railpictures.net/photo/711035/
Old 09-27-2019, 12:40 AM   #2
bigbassloyd

Almost as good as an over-processed drone photo.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:40 AM   #3
Grewup on the CW

[quote=Joe the Photog;195788]Aside from the foreground obstruction and that it is leaning by at least 1% CCW, come on, guys! SMH Are the new sceeeners all teenaged boys?

Agree with you 100% Joe!! Take girl out of the pic and this would have been slapped with foreground clutter in a heartbeat. Her lack of clothes is the only reason this pic is on RP. While I was once a teenager full of hormone's......but now that I am a father and grandfather and I have several daughter's, I think a lot differently. RP taught me a lot thru all the rejected pic's and it made me a better photographer. This pic breaks all those rules they so animatedly enforced. Disappointed to say the least.

Last edited by Grewup on the CW; 09-27-2019 at 02:02 PM. Reason: corrected spelling/grammar
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:10 AM   #4
TedG

Rules is rules. No ifs, ands, or butts, it should've been rejected for "foreground obstruction".
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:17 AM   #5
Decapod401

Apparently, Freeman Hubbard is now a screener.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:50 AM   #6
miningcamper1

Freeman Hubbard and Virgil Staff- what a team that was.
But I don't remember them ever showing that much skin!

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 09-27-2019 at 08:15 AM.
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #7
Grewup on the CW

Apparently the photographer and the screeners cant enough skin based on his latest posted pics. Screener must have had a momentary lapse of reasoning with allowing this pic on RP.
Image © Adam B. Reich
PhotoID: 711101
Photograph © Adam B. Reich
Old 09-27-2019, 04:02 PM   #8
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
Apparently the photographer and the screeners cant enough skin based on his latest posted pics. Screener must have had a momentary lapse of reasoning with allowing this pic on RP.
Image © Adam B. Reich
I'm OK with the shot of the girl emptying her water bottle....well generally, anyway. I thought you might be referring to this shot:
Image © Matt Donnelly
PhotoID: 711117
Photograph © Matt Donnelly

I probably would have rejected that shot as generally cluttered and not have a well-defined subject, other than the woman with the nearly naked butt......albeit a nice butt. Note that from a views standpoint, that less than impressive railroad photo is currently keeping this far more deserving submission (same photog) out of To24:
Image © Matt Donnelly
PhotoID: 711118

I'll admit that I don't mind the "girls and trains" theme, but I'd still like to see a nice composition, good light, great processing, etc. In the case of the current "bum shot", it leaves me wanting.....to either see a better image of the train, or a close-up of those buns, the latter of which wouldn't be appropriate here.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I'm OK with the shot of the girl emptying her water bottle....well generally, anyway. I thought you might be referring to this shot:
photoid=711117............., the latter of which wouldn't be appropriate here.
I am perfectly fine with
Image © Adam B. Reich
and I think it is very appropriate. I was simply being sarcastic towards the screener or RP in general for the posting all the skin or bun shots as you call them and then they had the "nerve" to post a girl appropriately dressed....

I know it is their site, their rules (when they chose to apply them).......but I thought this was a professional site not a "gentlemen's club". If people want to see the skin, there is plenty other places to find it rather than here. I dont see those pics as artistic either but merely click bait and exploitation of women and the latter, well there is way to much of that already without encouraging it. Just my humble opinion and probably not a popular one.

In regards to Matt's current screener's choice, I see tons of blurr in it, guess the screener's eyes where still distorted from the buns....
[photo=711118]
Old 09-27-2019, 05:03 PM   #10
vcode455

Let's not forget front coupled shots of stored locomotives as well..........
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #11
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcode455 View Post
Hey... I resemble that remark!

Image © Doug Lilly
PhotoID: 711024
Photograph © Doug Lilly

My RP Pics are HERE.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:55 PM   #12
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
RP taught me a lot thru all the rejected pic's and it made me a better photographer. This pic breaks all those rules they so animatedly enforced. Disappointed to say the least.
Couldn't have said it better, its rather disappointing when stuff like this not only gets accepted, but ends up getting so many views. Certainly doesn't do the community reputation much good and so many of these just come off as creepy in my opinion.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:04 PM   #13
Jackson Glozer

I agree with Joe’s and all others comments. These photographs are distasteful, awful, and whatever other synonyms of “bad” you want to use. There should not be a place for this type of “photograph” on RP. I think I can say for all of us that we are here to photograph and document trains, not whatever “that” is.

Jackson
Jackson Glozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:51 PM   #14
miningcamper1

Quote:
Well...
As this posts, a front-coupled shot of stored UP power is Top of 24 with 6800+ views. Looks like naysayers will just have to scroll past these shots.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:05 PM   #15
RobJor

1) This is a photo from 2014 North of Marquette, Iowa where a girl stepped out of a cottage at the last minute to grab a cell phone photo. Cute girl, talked with us for a while and of course she loved Patch. Part of the scene, realistic and in good taste I think.

Rejected for some reason, can't remember.

2) Same trip, After 14 years last year camping with Patch in the fall along Bloody run and the old Milwaukee Road.

Bob Jordan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marquette_02.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	899.7 KB
ID:	9756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marquette_04.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	959.9 KB
ID:	9757  

Last edited by RobJor; 09-27-2019 at 08:07 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:41 PM   #16
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
1) This is a photo from 2014 North of Marquette, Iowa where a girl stepped out of a cottage at the last minute to grab a cell phone photo. Cute girl, talked with us for a while and of course she loved Patch. Part of the scene, realistic and in good taste I think.

Rejected for some reason, can't remember.

2) Same trip, After 14 years last year camping with Patch in the fall along Bloody run and the old Milwaukee Road.

Bob Jordan
Bob,
Your shot is realistic, unplanned and in good taste plus the girl has clothes on unlike the "Bun/Skin" shots. Cant say that about the recent Top 4 shots which were staged/planned, bare and the train was not the subject of the scene.
Do you still camp in a tent?
Old 09-27-2019, 08:52 PM   #17
RobJor

Quote:
Bob,
Your shot is realistic, unplanned and in good taste plus the girl has clothes on unlike the "Bun/Skin" shots. Cant say that about the recent Top 4 shots which were staged/planned, bare and the train was not the subject of the scene.
Do you still camp in a tent?
Only in the Fall along the River, pretty much our tradition but that last year for Patch. Motel Reservations are hard to come by. There is this little county campground which is very basic so not all the big RV''s and nice hiking trails. Columbus Day weekend usually. CP has wye right in Marquette, nice little museum with lots of Milwaukee Road stuff and articles about the old Pontoon Bridge. Temps can get down in the 20s tho.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 09-27-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:20 PM   #18
Grewup on the CW

Sounds like a nice tradition and we love the fall as well. My wife and I and our kids (they are adults now) tent camped every chance we had/can. Though we had several tents plus a camp kitchen and we usually camped during the summer to work with the kids school schedules. Looks like you travel/camp pretty light and I'm not sure I could get my wife in a tent on those 20 degree night your talking about. The dew off the river provably doesn't help the temperatures there were you camp either. Shoot me an email of the area you stay at, I'd like to add it to my bucket list.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:41 PM   #19
KevinM

As noted, I think the concept of girls with trains is fine, as long as the photos are good quality images with a well-defined subject and the women are tastefully portrayed. It's fine as long as folks don't abuse it. Out of 1900+ images, I think I have fewer than 5 pretty girl shots.
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 697279
Photograph © Kevin Madore

I like this one the best because it was such a pleasant surprise. None of the photographers had any clue they were going to show up, but once they did, the UP Agents quickly facilitated an impromptu photo shoot. Obviously, it was a no-brainer for the UP folks that two, pretty Wyoming Cowgirls toting the stars and stripes would look great in photos with their locomotive. The girls did a great job too. The gal on the right did contact me afterward and I sent her some photos. This photo has since been picked up by a German Railfan Magazine and they included it in a special Big Boy 2020 Calendar, which is a beautiful collection of shots by a bunch of different photographers, some of whom post on RP. I asked the editor if he'd send the girls a couple copies and he said he'd be glad to.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:26 PM   #20
RobJor

Snip from and earlier post

In regards to Matt's current screener's choice, I see tons of blurr in it, guess the screener's eyes where still distorted from the buns....
Image © Matt Donnelly

1/60th of a second on a train moving laterally, ISO 200. Not sure that can stop much motion even at a wide angle. Much of the camera side of train is dark and DOF is suspect?? Nice scene and sunset.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 09-27-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:53 AM   #21
vcode455

I guess that's my point. Hard to believe that a current shot of the deadline gets that many views. Newsworthy, yes, the pinnacle of RR photos, no.
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:46 PM   #22
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Snip from and earlier post

Image © Matt Donnelly

1/60th of a second on a train moving laterally, ISO 200. Not sure that can stop much motion even at a wide angle. Much of the camera side of train is dark and DOF is suspect?? Nice scene and sunset.

Bob
I have no idea what the photographer was trying to achieve there. Not blurred enough for a pan, not sharp enough for static. It's very painful on the eyes as it stands. I want to clone out every tree in that shot.

Loyd L.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #23
bigbassloyd

Quote:
I guess that's my point. Hard to believe that a current shot of the deadline gets that many views. Newsworthy, yes, the pinnacle of RR photos, no.
Older material garners more views typically. If you're old enough to have it (HI DOUG! ), it's a award for being old.

Loyd L.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:49 PM   #24
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
As noted, I think the concept of girls with trains is fine, as long as the photos are good quality images with a well-defined subject and the women are tastefully portrayed. It's fine as long as folks don't abuse it. Out of 1900+ images, I think I have fewer than 5 pretty girl shots.
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 697279
Photograph © Kevin Madore

I like this one the best because it was such a pleasant surprise. None of the photographers had any clue they were going to show up, but once they did, the UP Agents quickly facilitated an impromptu photo shoot. Obviously, it was a no-brainer for the UP folks that two, pretty Wyoming Cowgirls toting the stars and stripes would look great in photos with their locomotive. The girls did a great job too. The gal on the right did contact me afterward and I sent her some photos. This photo has since been picked up by a German Railfan Magazine and they included it in a special Big Boy 2020 Calendar, which is a beautiful collection of shots by a bunch of different photographers, some of whom post on RP. I asked the editor if he'd send the girls a couple copies and he said he'd be glad to.
Kevin your shot makes sense to me. It's not a blatant attempt at clickbait like the volleyball net, er I mean the butt photo.

I love volleyball nets, sorry.

Loyd L.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:55 PM   #25
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Older material garners more views typically. If you're old enough to have it (HI DOUG! ), it's a award for being old.

Loyd L.
I'm not that old - I just started early in life.

On another subject - another butt shot, but not so much click bait:

Image © Adam B. Reich
PhotoID: 711197

My RP Pics are HERE.