Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Old 05-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #1
troy12n
Banned

Default So who's chasing N&W 611 this weekend? - just realized something

I'm heading up to Roanoke to chase the 611. I'm real familiar with the area, however I realized when I looked at the schedule, the outbound trips for both the morning and afternoon runs are going to be opposite of good light...

And as a photographer that is UBER frustrating. All the good spots are going to be backlit the entire outbound trip. Both days.

I know they don't arrange these things for photographers, but damn, if they reversed the departures, it would be perfect... so frustrating

Inbound back to Roanoke, I know those spots will be in better light, but I can think of a few places, namingly Montgomery, Shawsville, Christiansburg are pretty much better shots "Westbound", especially the tunnel at Montgomery. While it's POSSIBLE to get to the East portal of Montgomery tunnel, logistically it will be difficult for this trip. The only road up to it is technically someone's driveway and they are not going to be tolerant of THIS many railfans.

By the way, who's going to be there this weekend?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I'm heading up to Roanoke to chase the 611. I'm real familiar with the area, however I realized when I looked at the schedule, the outbound trips for both the morning and afternoon runs are going to be opposite of good light...

And as a photographer that is UBER frustrating. All the good spots are going to be backlit the entire outbound trip. Both days.

I know they don't arrange these things for photographers, but damn, if they reversed the departures, it would be perfect... so frustrating

Inbound back to Roanoke, I know those spots will be in better light, but I can think of a few places, namingly Montgomery, Shawsville, Christiansburg are pretty much better shots "Westbound", especially the tunnel at Montgomery. While it's POSSIBLE to get to the East portal of Montgomery tunnel, logistically it will be difficult for this trip. The only road up to it is technically someone's driveway and they are not going to be tolerant of THIS many railfans.

By the way, who's going to be there this weekend?
I'm not sure why you have your panties in a bunch over this schedule. Both trips are on an east/west line with plenty of curves to get an orientation with the good light if you pick the right locations. It's the same schedule as last July 4th weekend, and there are plenty of good photos posted here to give you an idea of possibilities.

If you go to the west portal of Montgomery tunnel, be careful where you park and stand. I was there a few weeks ago, and parked to the south of the spur track, which is apparently the property/driveway for the house closest to the tunnel - the one with confederate flags and orange "no trespassing" signs stapled to the porch columns. I was set up for a shot of an approaching train, and my wife was standing by the car. The owners came home in their pickup, pulled up to my wife, and greeted her with "Get the hell off my property before I call the cops." All high class stuff! I'm sure she will be wound even tighter when the foamer throng descends on the tunnel this weekend.

Last edited by Decapod401; 05-03-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

One shot EB one shot WB. I'll be alone (i.e secret locations). I'm much happier that way.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:40 PM   #4
Ron Flanary

Not me, unfortunately, as I have responsibilities here both days. Best of luck to those who'll be there.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #5
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
One shot EB one shot WB. I'll be alone (i.e secret locations). I'm much happier that way.

Loyd L.
I agree with you Loyd. Your age and wisdom are showing.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #6
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post

Loyd L.
I completely get that. But I am driving 10+ hours each way and want to maximize my (good) shots and it would have been awesome if they factored in the lighting situation.

But I am just glad i can make it this year to one of them. Last year, EVERY steam trip I was tied up the weekends they were happening.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #7
KevinM

Quote:
I completely get that. But I am driving 10+ hours each way and want to maximize my (good) shots and it would have been awesome if they factored in the lighting situation.
Argh.....10 hrs+ each way no less. I start thinking "fly" when it gets over 5.

I would love to see this engine chartered on a stretch of track where one could do run-bys. Then, the schedule and the consist could be optimized for photography. There are those who tell me that this pipe dream might not be so far-fetched. We'll see.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #8
Decapod401

Quote:
There is no "lighting situation", eastbound over Blue Ridge grade in the morning, westbound up Christiansburg grade in the afternoon, with opportunities on the returns as well. I don't understand what you're complaining about.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #9
loomus78

Two Words, Rain and Cloudy
Milepost 105.00
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #10
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
There is no "lighting situation", eastbound over Blue Ridge grade in the morning, westbound up Christiansburg grade in the afternoon, with opportunities on the returns as well. I don't understand what you're complaining about.
What I am getting at is most of the shots are better in the afternoon heading West, and better in the morning going East. This is fact. As I understand it, they are heading West in the morning towards Radford, returning by Noon, then heading East at 2p, returning Roanoke by 6... right? If they flipped those, I think lighting would be better for certain shots. I've 'fanned/shot these lines extensively.

I'm not sure I am prepared for the influx of hudreds (?) of railfans on locations I am used to seeing NOBODY at, but that's a different story.

I will deal with it. Just venting a little.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #11
Decapod401

Radford trips are in the afternoon, Lynchburg in the morning.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:43 PM   #12
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
SHIT, nevermind. I had thought they were going to Radford in the morning and Lynchburg in the afternoon.

Nevermind...
Old 05-03-2016, 08:46 PM   #13
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Correct. Lighting should be good on all trips. There is no such thing as "bad light."
Old 05-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #14
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
Correct. Lighting should be good on all trips. There is no such thing as "bad light."
I had this all backward. Thought both trips were going to have backlight on the outbounds. Glad I was wrong.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #15
loomus78

Quote:
I'm not sure I am prepared for the influx of hudreds (?) of railfans on locations I am used to seeing NOBODY at, but that's a different story.

I will deal with it. Just venting a little.
Count me as one of them. I've never fanned those lines and have never seen 611 but if i get just one shot of it in a good location without anyone else in frame I will be happy.

I trust my guides to get me to a few of those locations.
Milepost 105.00
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:52 PM   #16
spacetrain1983

Darn it, I live out in the Pacific Northwest. At least UP 4014 is going to be up and running in a few years.
spacetrain1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:36 PM   #17
JimThias

Quote:
If there no such thing as "bad light," then that means there is no such thing as "good light."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:06 AM   #18
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Shoot "flat on" from the side, i.e. 90 degrees "T" perpendicular. Or, hope for an overcast day.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:12 AM   #19
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
If there no such thing as "bad light," then that means there is no such thing as "good light."
What is this "light" you speak of?

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:17 AM   #20
Dennis A. Livesey

I must admit, I no longer fret about light, crowds, diesels, rain, snow, heat, cold etc, etc as far as chasing anything is concerned.
I go because I am excited to see and participate in something unusual and special.
And I am always happy with several shots when I get home. They are precious moments that if I had not gone, they would not be in my collection.
To make a trip a success for me, it only takes one good shot.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:55 AM   #21
miningcamper1

Quote:
The owners came home in their pickup, pulled up to my wife, and greeted her with "Get the hell off my property before I call the cops." All high class stuff!
Well, at least they didn't run you off at gunpoint. I did encounter some "Survivors Will Be Prosecuted" signs in Montana.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:47 AM   #22
Mgoldman

Quote:
I agree with you Loyd. Your age and wisdom are showing.
Mostly age, lol!

Quote:
Does this qualify? Or is this considered "no light?"

Ah, well - next time I'm in Butte, MT!

/Mitch

PS - Count me in, I'll be there!

Look for "the Godfather" (aka: John Dziobko) too!
And Doug Lilly - should be a hoot! But, alas, no 1218, lol!
(And it should go without saying, Bob Lyndall)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GN Butte MT LR.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	9155  
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #23
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Mostly age, lol!

Does this qualify? Or is this considered "no light?"

The light is the light. The shot did not make good use of it.

Kent in SD
Old 05-04-2016, 02:12 PM   #24
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I must admit, I no longer fret about light, crowds, diesels, rain, snow, heat, cold etc, etc as far as chasing anything is concerned.
For me, the crowd is the bigger part of the story.

Last summer i was driving along in Yellowstone when I came across a "bear jam." There were dozens of cars stopped and a good sized crowd of people all trying to take photos of a plain o' black bear walking along. I saw a lot of long expensive lenses. I put on my widest lens and took a shot of the crowd with the tiny bear in the distance. They got very boring shots of an obviously distracted bear. I got a shot that shows what Yellowstone is today.

Kent in SD
Old 05-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #25
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
The light is the light. The shot did not make good use of it.

Kent in SD
So in other words, for that particular shot, it's not "good light." Aka "bad light."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote