Old 02-15-2014, 03:21 AM   #1
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default Bloody dawn - too candyland?

Dark seems to be in right now, so thought I would give this one a shot

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...78&key=6479407

Too jacked up?

And on a completely unrelated note, is this really that bad?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...96&key=5468155

Last edited by troy12n; 02-15-2014 at 03:25 AM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:35 AM   #2
Moffat Road
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 43
Default

Troy,

On the first, I don’t think the colors are too jacked up at all.

On the second photo, I’m not sure why they are labeling it PIQ. Maybe someone doesn’t like a strong tele of a steam locomotive…

Mike Danneman
Moffat Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:41 AM   #3
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,740
Default

I'm not seeing a color issue on the first, but you gotta big nuked spot on the right in the sky. And yes, the steam shot is noisy, blurry, and generally lacking of image quality.

On a side note, I hate those stupid power lines that ruin the scene in Bluefield.

And a second side note, your Bluefield shot is unlevel

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:54 AM   #4
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I'm not seeing a color issue on the first, but you gotta big nuked spot on the right in the sky.
Maybe if there was some snow on the ground, it would be ok

Quote:
On a side note, I hate those stupid power lines that ruin the scene in Bluefield.
Yea, that pisses me off too

Quote:
And a second side note, your Bluefield shot is unlevel
Horribly too, that will be fixed
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:56 AM   #5
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,740
Default

I think I may just visit that bridge in the morning. Pokey always looks good in white...

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:13 AM   #6
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I think I may just visit that bridge in the morning. Pokey always looks good in white...
I about killed myself in January 2010 up there. Wont do that again without chains and 4 wheel drive. And I didn't even go off the beaten path.

At any rate, how about this? It's sitting in queue

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG5_21392b.jpg (678.4 KB, 315 views)

Last edited by troy12n; 02-15-2014 at 04:34 AM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:18 AM   #7
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,641
Default

I'm with Mike - I'm always bewildered by the randomness of the intense scrutiny on certain images screened on RP.

Maybe better yet simple rejection reasons are absent on RP.

"Clipped" /though they could've used "Overexposed" for the nuked sky on the first image.

"Heat Distortion" - looks like it's effecting the entire image vs just above the engine as the scene looks a bit soft overall. 'Course, I guess they could've used "foreground obstructions, lol... "heat distortion".

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:22 AM   #8
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,641
Default

Your "in the queue now shot" looks like bad color depth this time around. Where you "filled in" the blown white sky - it looks more like a solid color fill as opposed to the translucent gradient of blues in the sky on the left.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:36 AM   #9
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Your "in the queue now shot" looks like bad color depth this time around. Where you "filled in" the blown white sky - it looks more like a solid color fill as opposed to the translucent gradient of blues in the sky on the left.
Look again, it sure looks a lot better in photoshop than after the jpeg conversion
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:33 AM   #10
nikos1
Senior Member
 
nikos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,775
Default

Not a fan of the way the engines are blurred on the first one, too short of an an exposure for me.
Second, yeah its bad but could always be worse....
Image © TheJRdeadpool
PhotoID: 456570
Photograph © TheJRdeadpool
__________________


Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:49 AM   #11
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
Not a fan of the way the engines are blurred on the first one, too short of an an exposure for me.
Second, yeah its bad but could always be worse....
Image © TheJRdeadpool
PhotoID: 456570
Photograph © TheJRdeadpool
I would've loved to have been there and take that picture myself. Its an interesting scene that's been butchered.
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:26 AM   #12
stlgevo51
Senior Member
 
stlgevo51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 759
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
Not a fan of the way the engines are blurred on the first one, too short of an an exposure for me.
Second, yeah its bad but could always be worse....
Image © TheJRdeadpool
PhotoID: 456570
Photograph © TheJRdeadpool
It sucks that the image quality is so poor for this shot. How often do you see three diesels lined up that perfectly?

Troy, your second shot does suffer from some quality issues, but there are a lot of shots on this site that are far worse than it.
__________________
Jake
Railpictures Shots RP stuff.
Flickr Shots All the RP stuff plus some failed experiments, wedgies, and junk.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #13
MassArt Images
Senior Member
 
MassArt Images's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA area
Posts: 718
Default

Congrats on getting it on! However, toggling between the accepted image and the first rejected one you showed us here, I can't see much difference between them. What did you tweak to make it acceptable?
__________________
Carl


My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #14
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
Congrats on getting it on! However, toggling between the accepted image and the first rejected one you showed us here, I can't see much difference between them. What did you tweak to make it acceptable?
2 things really:

- I leveled it
- I played around with levels and saturation in the washed out area on the upper right of the frame in the sky

If you look at both side by side, you can see it. Also, the second helper (trailing unit) is the Interstate unit, that's why it got on
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #15
loomus78
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgevo51 View Post
It sucks that the image quality is so poor for this shot. How often do you see three diesels lined up that perfectly?
Image © Jon Wright
PhotoID: 395186
Photograph © Jon Wright

At Hagerstown? Quite a bit actually... Above is a scene with two. A third was switching in the yard.
__________________
Jon Wright
Martinsburg, WV
CSX Cumberland Sub
Milepost 105.00
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #16
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loomus78 View Post
Image © Jon Wright
PhotoID: 395186
Photograph © Jon Wright

At Hagerstown? Quite a bit actually... Above is a scene with two. A third was switching in the yard.
If it's so common and accessible, you would think there would be better shots submitted.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:37 PM   #17
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
I'm with Mike - I'm always bewildered by the randomness of the intense scrutiny on certain images screened on RP.
Or the complete lack of scrutiny on others.

See This thread.

I'm not gonna cry too much about that shot of 630, I got a bunch of shots from that trip on, and cant really complain too much about it. It just kind of bugs me when I see stuff like this get on and a shot of mine, which is much better IQ does not
Image © Tom Farence
PhotoID: 469948
Photograph © Tom Farence

There's a few things wrong with this one, and it's not a knock on the photog, he has a lot of interesting older shots on, but this one, I dont know why he even submitted, especially as-is

Last edited by troy12n; 02-15-2014 at 04:40 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #18
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

I was going to suggest on the first to up the saturation a tad and up the contrast slightly.

On the second - not a big fan of portrait format, but you could chop the left side off a bit to move the train out of the dreaded center spot.

Framing it off the tree on the right might also work if you have some frames with more on the right.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #19
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
It just kind of bugs me when I see stuff like this get on and a shot of mine, which is much better IQ does not
Image © Tom Farence
PhotoID: 469948
Photograph © Tom Farence
With a bazillion images in the queue, the screener probably didn't check the date and gave Tom a free pass on an SP image that looked much older then it was (1980). No problem for me - I find value in RP as a database probably just as much (if not more) then a site with "The BEST railroad photos on the net". Remove 80% of the wrecks, rosters and Darwin's and I'll re-evalute my statement - actually, no - leave it all, it has MUCH more value as usually is.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:20 AM   #20
Ron Flanary
Senior Member
 
Ron Flanary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Big Stone Gap, VA
Posts: 1,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
With a bazillion images in the queue, the screener probably didn't check the date and gave Tom a free pass on an SP image that looked much older then it was (1980). No problem for me - I find value in RP as a database probably just as much (if not more) then a site with "The BEST railroad photos on the net". Remove 80% of the wrecks, rosters and Darwin's and I'll re-evalute my statement - actually, no - leave it all, it has MUCH more value as usually is.

/Mitch
I agree. You can't compare a slide image from 1980 to something you shot with a digital camera yesterday. Apples and oranges. For sure, if this shot had been taken with a digital camera yesterday, it wouldn't have been accepted. But---older shots like this get some latitude, and for good reason.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:02 AM   #21
loomus78
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
If it's so common and accessible, you would think there would be better shots submitted.
*shrug*
I've never really thought about it until Jake mentioned it. As far as it being accessible, it's very accessible. The parking lot is shared by both CSX and the Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum. It's posted but I've never heard of any trouble hanging around for a few minutes to take a photo or eat dinner in the car while waiting for a child's practice to end. Folks that have gotten in trouble didn't pay attention to where by almost getting hit by the crew vans or CSX trucks or they crossed the tracks.
__________________
Jon Wright
Martinsburg, WV
CSX Cumberland Sub
Milepost 105.00
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.