Old 01-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default Double Processing a RAW file.

Image © Travis Dewitz
PhotoID: 266044
Photograph © Travis Dewitz

This is my first double processed image ever. I think it turned out well but could be better. I have PS CS3 and just keep learning and learning more things with it. Sometimes it takes me awhile to try new things because I get so use to processing the photo the same ways. This image was pretty easy to do since the sky and land was a pretty clean split. I just used a soft tip paint brush to blend the two together. I really need to start to use masks much more and more layers.

Do any of you have expierence with double processing images? Do you have any tips on blend the light and dark areas together?

Anyone else interested in the technique, here is an easy to follow guide.
http://www.takegreatpictures.com/double_process_raw.fci
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
quiksmith10

Send a message via AIM to quiksmith10

Thanks for sharing that. I'm going to have to give that a try. You're right, you always learn something new with PS. It's amazing the amount of thing the product can do.

I will usually use a wand a select the sky and then either keep the original selection or select the inverse. I then feather the selection to blend the two "halves" together.

Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.net!

Photography Portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53118039@N05/

Last edited by quiksmith10; 01-08-2009 at 07:20 PM.
quiksmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
JRMDC

Didn't we all agree that this would be referred to as "pseudo-HDR"? Get with the program!

And didn't we all agree that you would no longer be allowed to fish for views? This is a September shot and you feel like reliving your joy today?????

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Didn't we all agree that this would be referred to as "pseudo-HDR"? Get with the program!

And didn't we all agree that you would no longer be allowed to fish for views? This is a September shot and you feel like reliving your joy today?????
Shot in Sept., but added to the DB Jan 5th. Nice photo, but the rails look over sharpened or something.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan
Shot in Sept., but added to the DB Jan 5th.
oops, missed that, saw the 3000+ views and didn't realize it was new, it must have been ToY while I was out of town.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Cinderpath

Well I guess I can share some secrets- I've been doing this for quite some time, but I have used this handy little plug-in and found it faster and easier.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/shopping/DRI

Cheers-
Cinderpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
travsirocz

[quote=JRMDC]Didn't we all agree that this would be referred to as "pseudo-HDR"? Get with the program!

And didn't we all agree that you would no longer be allowed to fish for views? QUOTE]

Yes it is pseudo-HDR. I think I did a good job at not getting the over done HDR look or the shadow highlight tool look, or not?

Once a fisherman always a fisherman. Don't worry, not many come to this side of the forums.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderpath
Well I guess I can share some secrets- I've been doing this for quite some time, but I have used this handy little plug-in and found it faster and easier.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/shopping/DRI

Cheers-
Intrested, but I would like to hear more about it from you. Do you have any examples of your own? Why is this program better then just doing it in PS? Thanks.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
quiksmith10

Quote:
You can use it as a "pseudo-HDR" tool if you want too or you can use it to bring your dark and light areas into a bit of a better perspective. Trust me, I am not a fan of the overdone HDR look, as in the example photo given in that website.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksmith10
You can use it as a "pseudo-HDR" tool if you want too or you can use it to bring your dark and light areas into a bit of a better perspective.
Is there a difference?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #11
quiksmith10

Quote:
Is there a difference?
Just depends on how much you use it.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
travsirocz

Quote:
Is there a difference?
There is a difference I think. I am not darkening the highlight and bringing out the shadows in the image as you do with lets say the shadow highlight tool on a single image. I am taking a RAW file, which has much more data then like a jpeg, and I am properly exposing the highlights in one (sky) and then the darker part of the image (the rest) and combinding them. So I am using the sky from one raw file and the rest from the other raw image. I suppose if I start bringing more highlights out of the darker part of the image then it would start getting more of the HDR look. I guess the point I am getting at is this really isn't the same as "pseudo-HDR" but close.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #13
travsirocz

Here is my over done one that I need to work on. I shouldn't even show it here.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...1&key=59252591
Old 01-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #14
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
Image © Travis Dewitz
PhotoID: 266044
Photograph © Travis Dewitz

This is my first double processed image ever. I think it turned out well but could be better. I have PS CS3 and just keep learning and learning more things with it. Sometimes it takes me awhile to try new things because I get so use to processing the photo the same ways. This image was pretty easy to do since the sky and land was a pretty clean split. I just used a soft tip paint brush to blend the two together. I really need to start to use masks much more and more layers.

Do any of you have expierence with double processing images? Do you have any tips on blend the light and dark areas together?

Anyone else interested in the technique, here is an easy to follow guide.
http://www.takegreatpictures.com/double_process_raw.fci

Ah-HA! So that's the secret to your nuclear fallout picture. I wondered how you arrived at that bizarre tone.

Quote:
I think I did a good job at not getting the over done HDR look or the shadow highlight tool look, or not?
Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree. It looks way overdone to me. Then again, my eyes may be more trained to noticing stuff like this.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 01-08-2009 at 09:28 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #15
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Ah-HA! So that's the secret to your nuclear fallout picture. I wondered how you arrived at that bizarre tone.

Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree. It looks way overdone to me. Then again, my eyes may be more trained to noticing stuff like this.
What kinda of tone? The sky? Could be brighter and oranger. Early morning with crazy clouds with spot lights coming through. I should have brought the light rays out more to match what I saw.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
JimThias

Quote:
What kinda of tone? The sky? Could be brighter and oranger. Early morning with crazy clouds with spot lights coming through. I should have brought the light rays out more to match what I saw.
There is an evil orange/yellow tone about the entire image that resembles a scene from the movie The Day After.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #17
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
There is an evil orange/yellow tone about the entire image that resembles a scene from the movie The Day After.
The air in Nebraska is different then the smoggy Michigan air from Rock City.

It was yellowie out that but your right it should be toned down some more.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #18
Cinderpath

Quote:
Intrested, but I would like to hear more about it from you. Do you have any examples of your own? Why is this program better then just doing it in PS? Thanks.
I am short on time, but click on the link that says:

"Full description and samples"

And it will totally make sense. It is better because it automatically smoothens the transitions between say sky and foreground. For $15 its cheap. Some of my examples can be seen in the previous issues of Locomotive Magazine by Kalmbach; I do the RAW conversions and Photoshop work on it. I am not at home, where my RR pictures are stored.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:21 PM   #19
JRMDC

Quote:
I am taking a RAW file, which has much more data then like a jpeg, and I am properly exposing the highlights in one (sky) and then the darker part of the image (the rest) and combinding them. So I am using the sky from one raw file and the rest from the other raw image.
This is exactly how I define pseudo-HDR, except you mis-wrote when you said "one raw file" and "the other raw image" as you are using only one raw image. You meant "one processed version" and "the other processed version".

Quote:
I suppose if I start bringing more highlights out of the darker part of the image then it would start getting more of the HDR look. I guess the point I am getting at is this really isn't the same as "pseudo-HDR" but close.
To me pseudo-HDR is a process, so its definition does not depend on outcome. I don't follow what distinction you are drawing in the sentence beginning with "I suppose".

If you take the same file, one exposed image, process it twice, and combine them, you are doing pseudo-HDR. You do HDR if you do multiple identically framed exposures and combine them.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #20
travsirocz

Quote:
This is exactly how I define pseudo-HDR, except you mis-wrote when you said "one raw file" and "the other raw image" as you are using only one raw image. You meant "one processed version" and "the other processed version".

To me pseudo-HDR is a process, so its definition does not depend on outcome. I don't follow what distinction you are drawing in the sentence beginning with "I suppose".

If you take the same file, one exposed image, process it twice, and combine them, you are doing pseudo-HDR. You do HDR if you do multiple identically framed exposures and combine them.
I know. I just meant I did it on a lower level in which it doesn't have the over done HDR look. I pretty much just HDRed the sky only and nothing else in the image. If I were to do a fulll scale HDR to it I may have opened up some of the shadows more and toned down the head lights, etc. But you are right.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:09 AM   #21
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderpath
I am short on time, but click on the link that says:

"Full description and samples"

And it will totally make sense. It is better because it automatically smoothens the transitions between say sky and foreground. For $15 its cheap. Some of my examples can be seen in the previous issues of Locomotive Magazine by Kalmbach; I do the RAW conversions and Photoshop work on it. I am not at home, where my RR pictures are stored.
Any tips? I have been trying the program with little success. It either over or under does it, so far. It does get good reviews from the Canon forums. If you have a Nikon you can't get in.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #22
Cinderpath

Quote:
Any tips? I have been trying the program with little success. It either over or under does it, so far. It does get good reviews from the Canon forums. If you have a Nikon you can't get in.

My experience has been rather than create one processed RAW as extreme highlights (sky), and one extreme shadows, I basically process one as "normal" as possible, and the one for a somewhat darker sky, (but not extreme) remember, if it is created from two extremes, it too will look unnatural. This seems to make a much more gentle transition. The greater the extremes in this stuff, the harder it is to get it natural looking. Another note, go easy on the saturation in the RAW conversion process; this can always be added later in Photoshop, that way if it is over done, it can easily be modified. Additionally when doing saturation increases, if a global saturation increase is made, go back in afterward and knock down the red and yellow saturation channels, this will make the orange cast less harsh.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #23
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

With regards to pseudo HDR (using one image), I've had good luck with TuFuse (http://www.tawbaware.com/tufuse.htm), which has been brought up on the forums before. It's a bit awkward to use, but once you've got it setup, it's pretty slick. When you also install Dcraw (http://cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/), the software will put together a TIFF HDR based off of your original RAW photo. The command I use is:

tufuse -a 8 -b 1.5 -o output.tif IMG_0100.CR2

Maybe I'll put together a little tutorial on it and post it or something... it's really slick. I've used it on these images:

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Old 01-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #24
Christopher Muller

I'm not going to comment on either photo, I can't... not without seeing the original photo... Travis?
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #25
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Muller
I'm not going to comment on either photo, I can't... not without seeing the original photo... Travis?
Good call, but my initial reaction was "too fakey looking." But, people seem to eat up that fake look, so what do I know!

EDIT: Also, Nic's shot of that dude looks good, but the steam one has an overprocessed cast to my eyes...