Old 06-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
sd9

Default I'm done

Well I shot this pic at 7:57 am and it first gets rejected for:
Poor Lighting (Dark): The image is too dark.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=534950&key=0
Ok, I can see that, it's a little dark, so I lighten it up a bit and then BAM!
The multi reject button is pressed and now I get:
Poor Lighting (High Sun): The angle of the sunlight is too high, a common problem in the summer months of year on mid-day shots
Underexposed
- Bad Cropping: Most often this means that the composition of the photo is poor as it relates the cropping of the image.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=535011&key=0
The High sun really kills me, look at the trucks how could that be high sun.did I say I shot that at 7:57AM
and to top it all off on the first reject I got another (of an EJ&E, SD38-2)pic rejected for:
Similar to Previous Photo
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=629822766
similar to what? it was the only J pic I submitted ...
So, are they just pressing buttons or are they running out of drive space?
or do they like to keep the forum section going ,,,you tell me
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

Bill;

I think you ought to consider the real possibility that the screeners are out to get you. Maybe they just don't like you for some reason. Better yet, maybe their random screw a photographer button generator landed on you. It could be.

As for the Similiar to Previous Reject, mybe they were comparing the newest shot to this one --

Image © Bill Grenchik
PhotoID: 237259
Photograph © Bill Grenchik

Appears to be the same exact spot of the sme model and the same angle as

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=629822766

I won't comment on the other two rejects until I see it on a better computer only to say that the first version looks dark to me, not a lighting issue as much as an exposure issue.

But I'm sure the screeners just don't like you for some reason.

Also, check your reporting marks. Sometimes you leave them out, sometimes you leave the T off of CSXT and sometimes you put the & in EJE.

Joe
Old 06-11-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
ddavies

If you look at the shadows of the grap irons on the front of the CSX unit, they go almost straight down, which means you had nose light, and almost no side light. If you had good side light, the angle would go down at about a 45 degree angle. If it was high sun, the shadows would be very long. You just have too much nose light, which makes it hard to see the detail in the side of the train. Normally, if you have nose light only, shoot nose on, then you don't notice the lack of sun on the side.
ddavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavies
If you look at the shadows of the grap irons on the front of the CSX unit, they go almost straight down, which means you had nose light, and almost no side light. If you had good side light, the angle would go down at about a 45 degree angle. If it was high sun, the shadows would be very long. You just have too much nose light, which makes it hard to see the detail in the side of the train. Normally, if you have nose light only, shoot nose on, then you don't notice the lack of sun on the side.
However, there are a ton of shots in the database with similar lighting. One this is for sure, this is NOT high sun. But something just doesn't look right with the processing.

Bill, you definitely lightened it after the first rejection, but the processing and image quality look a bit off to me. There's no reason why this shouldn't be accepted, given the proper processing.

Bill, for your second shot, the white stripes and numbers on the nose of the engine look blown out and a bit soft. If not rejected for "similar...," it may be rejected for that.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:56 AM   #5
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
However, there are a ton of shots in the database with similar lighting. One this is for sure, this is NOT high sun. But something just doesn't look right with the processing.

Bill, you definitely lightened it after the first rejection, but the processing and image quality look a bit off to me. There's no reason why this shouldn't be accepted, given the proper processing.

Bill, for your second shot, the white stripes and numbers on the nose of the engine look blown out and a bit soft. If not rejected for "similar...," it may be rejected for that.

Well, I told myself I'm done but then I said what the heck, I appealed the EJ&E pic and was told it was rejected for the wrong reason and, well,,, I'll won't mention what else they said.
So I resubmitted the CSX pic along with the J pic once again, the CSX pic has that sun that was really bright and seems throw the colors off but I gave it another try and the J pic did look a little soft so I tuned that one up too,
so we will see what happens,
and yes the J pic, as Joe said "Appears to be the same exact spot of the same model and the same angle as another I have" it is, but a different roster number, (as I try to get every number on the J roster)I like that spot, it's a nice clear area free from high lines and stuff and its easy to get to from along the road, maybe I need to find another.. well off to paint the bird house
thanks for the help
BTW Jim, every time I see your avatar I crack up
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:40 AM   #6
bigbassloyd

Here's an idea on the direction you need to go with the CSX shot. Attached is the limit of what I can do with free programs.

Best thing I can reccomend is take some time, and tinker with all the settings in your editing program. I adjusted many things many times to realize I couldn't do it 100% right

I decreased contrast, warmed up the white balance, added a bunch of blue, decreased red, increased saturation, decreased gamma, and several other things that are now lost on me.

It's a sharp shot, and I hope you can fiddle with it enough to get it in...

Loyd L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	2916  

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Sometimes you leave them out, sometimes you leave the T off of CSXT
That seems to be a common mistake in the database, one that I assume happens frequently among those who don't have a scanner. All the locomotives say is CSX. Easily confusing until you listen to a scanner, or someone corrects your image and you realize that almost all the others have the T as well.

Another one, one that my dad even used to make, is putting the R after CP. It's really not supposed to be there in the engine number. This image has this error (just happened to be the first image to show up, nothing against the photog):

Image © Rob Schreiner
PhotoID: 237805
Photograph © Rob Schreiner

Last edited by Carl Becker; 06-13-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:22 AM   #8
Joe the Photog

I don't have a scanner, but every reporting mark I have ever seen for CSX on any rolling stock has the T. Since they shot the engine, I would think they stuck around for at least part of the rest of the train to check out reporting marks.

Joe
Old 06-14-2008, 03:35 AM   #9
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
I don't have a scanner, but every reporting mark I have ever seen for CSX on any rolling stock has the T. Since they shot the engine, I would think they stuck around for at least part of the rest of the train to check out reporting marks.

Joe

The correct way is with the T (I'm sure I've made the mistake a dozen times too... feel free to find them and I'll fix them in the data base). The reason for this is that if a reporting mark ends in X it indicates that the equipment is owned by a non-railroad.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:45 AM   #10
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
The correct way is with the T (I'm sure I've made the mistake a dozen times too... feel free to find them and I'll fix them in the data base). The reason for this is that if a reporting mark ends in X it indicates that the equipment is owned by a non-railroad.
Just between me and thee, I think there might be one case of mine in the database where I forgot the T. Don't tell anyone though. Might put a dent in my aura of perfection.

Joe
Old 06-14-2008, 04:00 AM   #11
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Just between me and thee, I think there might be one case of mine in the database where I forgot the T. Don't tell anyone though. Might put a dent in my aura of perfection.

Joe
LOL! Actually, this brings up a good point... I rarely go back and look at my old shots in the database... but when I do, I do sometimes find mistakes... mistakes that if someone else made, I would be all over them (like putting amperstands in reporting marks, or calling LA Metro Rail different things on different photos, or calling the same location different things on different shots - CP This, or PRR depot that). I sort of feel like I owe it to everyone to one day go back and make everything consistant and correct.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:43 AM   #12
Mike B.
Banned

Reporting marks...what a simple thing that so many people seem to get wrong.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #13
Ken Carr
Senior Member: Vegasrails

Tinker with it if you wish, believe the screeners are after you, personnelly unless I'm really into the photo that heavy they reject it I move on. I might take the time smile when I copy a photo from the RP data and compare it to my rejection. hmmm I took the shot on the east side of the tracks, the other submission was taken on the west side of the tracks both had darken nose, mine was rejected for being backlit, the other accepted. So I sit back smile abit know the screeners aren't perfect, that they have their bias either with photos, people what ever and then I go back out and photograph something else.
RP has been helpful in many ways in improving my skills in taking photos. They have also made me the most money, for taking pictures of trains of course the Las Vegas location helpped too along with giving me some of the most headaches with rejections I have my days the screeners picking on me, oh well there will be another shot out there tomorrow or the next day. Maybe another money shot.
so don't take it to heart i know I have aand sometimes still do but truly in the long run, I have the image and someone will like it...

See what I do for fun along the rails and in the desert

See some of my slide shows

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Ken Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #14
River Rails Photography
Banned

Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography

What bothers me is that you will submit a picture, rejected for say contrast. Then you re submit it bye doing some work on the contrast. Then, they hit you with sharpening, dark, and cropping. WHEN YOU DIDNT CROP!!!!!!!!! Ha, I like rejections, teaches me what to do and fix.......as long as they are reasonable.
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #15
Joe the Photog

So if your shot needs cropping, but they don't see it the first time because the contrast is bad, next time you submitt the shot, they should overlook the cropping based solely on not seeing it the first time? But then what if it's another screener who is lookig at your shot and doesn' t realize this isn't the first time it's been uploaded? Maybe he's seeing something the first screener didn't.

Joe