Old 12-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #26
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano12056 View Post
No I have no problem with what Jim or the rest of you have said. You all have stated valid points. Jim is the best with his postings. I still laugh about the MJ eating pop corn image. Brad in your case of proper citation placed if you read it again you see me mentioning...."From Wikipedia.....The person who wrote it did a better job explaining that I could.....

Thanks for the comments on the Photo guys. I have always found this forum very helpful to me and others who have questions or need a critique from the vast group of members who try to help out with there knowledge on a daily basis to those of us who need help. Deano
That is hardly a proper citation but I give you credit for at least mentioning where it came from. I still think it would be much better to simply create a link to the page.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #27
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
So people freak when one of their photos is used by a 12 year old in a youtube video but an entire Wikipedia article is copy and pasted into the remarks section? Not even a proper citation. Seems rather inappropriate. Hello screeners? Are you out there?
Well, I think the problem here is there is no way to identify the creator of this work (because it was probably written by quite a few people over time).

Is Wikipedia text copyrighted? In a loose way, maybe. But it is under the Creative Commons Deed, so what was done here is absolutely fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ported_License
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:08 AM   #28
cblaz

Dean,

Do a search in the forums for "links within remarks." There's plenty of posts (like this one) that will show you how to make part of your caption text linkable. Then just edit your caption and link to the Wikipedia article. There's no need to remove the photo. I like it; it's an angle I haven't gotten yet in Delanson.

As for the credibility of Wikipedia issue Peter mentioned, a newspaper reporter would be laughed out of the building if they cited Wiki as a source for some fact in an article. Journalists still feel a dictionary, encyclopedia or a book on a topic are the most reliable sources of information, since Wikipedia can be edited by anyone and has very loose verification standards. Unfortunately, the site has gotten so popular that it's one of the first bad habits I have break new reporters of.

- Chris
Old 12-24-2010, 03:24 AM   #29
crazytiger

I agree Chris that reporters should NEVER use Wikipedia. I NEVER do when I debate. But what I'm saying is that Wikipedia is often right and in a discussion or a place like this, Wikipedia should be consider acceptable. As for use of Wikipedia for a research point, it is great as a "jumping off" point. Start there and get familiar then go find more credible sources, like Scholarly articles, books, or encyclopedias, as you say.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:06 AM   #30
Holloran Grade
Banned

Wink That is "Tits!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Jesus Christ, can someone do the cliff notes for that?
I think this is sufficient:

"Normally appearing in the Afternoon Southbound #252 Hammers though the Village of Delanson. The Road to your left is Main Street or Route #395."

Oh, and I copied some stuff from Wikipedia to fill in the extra:

"Syphilis is a sexually transmitted disease caused by the spirochetal bacteria Treponema pallidum subspecies pallidum. The primary route of transmission of syphilis is through sexual contact however it may also be transmitted from mother to fetus during pregnancy or at birth resulting in congenital syphilis.

The signs and symptoms of syphilis vary depending on which of the four stages it presents in (primary, secondary, latent, and tertiary). The primary stage typically presents with a single chancre, secondary syphilis with a diffuse rash, latent with little to no symptoms, and tertiary with gummas, neurological, or cardiac symptoms. Diagnosis is usually via blood tests. It can be effectively treated with antibiotics, specifically intramuscular penicillin G.

Syphilis is believed to have infected 12 million people worldwide in 1999 with greater than 90% of cases in the developing world. Rates of infection have increased during the 2000s in many countries.

Syphilis can present in one of four different stages: primary, secondary, latent, and tertiary.[1] It may also occur congenitally.[2] It has been referred to as “great imitator of skin diseases" due to it varied presentations.[1]
[edit] Primary
Primary chancre of syphilis on the hand.

Primary syphilis is typically acquired via direct sexual contact with the infectious lesions of another person .[3] Approximately 3–90 days after the initial exposure (average 21 days) a skin lesion appears at the point of contact called a chancre.[1] This is classically (40% of the time) a single firm, painless, non itchy skin ulceration with a clean base and sharp borders between 0.3 and 3 cm in size.[1] Occasionally multiple lesions maybe present.[1] Lesions outside of the genitals may be painful.[1] Lymph node enlargement frequently (80%) occurs around the area of infection.[1] The lesion may persist for 3 to 6 weeks without treatment.[1]
[edit] Secondary

Secondary syphilis occurs approximately 4 to 10 weeks after the primary infection.[1] There are many different manifestations of secondary disease. There may be a symmetrical reddish-pink non-itchy rash on the trunk and extremities including the palms and soles.[4][1] The rash may become maculopapular or pustular.[1] On mucous membranes it may form flat, broad, whitish, wart-like lesions known as condyloma latum.[1] All of these lesions are infectious harboring bacteria.[1] Other symptoms may include fever, sore throat, malaise, weight loss, hair loss, and headache.[1] Rare manifestations include hepatitis, kidney disease, arthritis, periostitis, optic neuritis, uveitis, and interstitial keratitis.[1][5] The acute symptoms usually resolve after 3 to 6 weeks."

There was considerably more about this subject, but I didn't want to top the subject post.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 12-24-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:12 AM   #31
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Wha???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Is Wikipedia text copyrighted?
How could it be?

Who would be the holder of the right when the subject is basically a blog or a compilation of information posted in a public forum and provided by a number of people, many of who are anonymous.

It is like asking if this thread and the information in it is copyrighted.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:41 AM   #32
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
So people freak when one of their photos is used by a 12 year old in a youtube video but an entire Wikipedia article is copy and pasted into the remarks section? Not even a proper citation. Seems rather inappropriate. Hello screeners? Are you out there?
Are you kidding? We are getting our undies scrunched up over someone not citing WIKIPEDIA? Sheesh...
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #33
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano12056 View Post
No I have no problem with what Jim or the rest of you have said. You all have stated valid points. Jim is the best with his postings. I still laugh about the MJ eating pop corn image.
I'm glad you have a good sense of humor, Dean. My post was meant to be fun more than anything. Merry Christmas to you, too.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote