Old 06-17-2009, 03:22 AM   #1
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr
Unhappy Would the 'old' UP have done this?

Well, I'm officially gettin' old.

Just now I was looking at a fine video by Allen Robertson on RV.net, where he did a fine job videotaping the UP 6905 west at Grand Island on June 13th, 2009.

The UP 6905 west on June 13th, 2009.

THE UP 6905 WEST!

This is sacreligious. The 6900s should be forever remembered for the beasts and behemoths they were, a piece of UP history never to be repeated, but ALWAYS relished and remembered by anyone who fanned the 'real' UP.

Of course I knew that these were being converted, but I guess I was secretly hoping that I would never hear them on the radio identified by their new series. Though it makes sense to number them this way for continuity, there's a part of me that wished they just would have retired the series.

Oh, the countless hundreds of times that the scanner in Cheyenne would crackle with something like "OMW; 6913; 12:30PM in and out", or "6941 west in emergency at Paxton; overspeed got us again". Man those crews and those engines bring back soooooooooo many memories of magical times on the Overland.

So forgive this 48 year old fan of the 'real' UP and lend an understanding ear when I wax nostagic and shake my head when I hear this series on the radio from here on out.

It's just not the same.

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net

Last edited by BarrySr; 06-17-2009 at 03:24 AM. Reason: add sentences
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
WisconsinCentral

So many things aren't nowadays. I look at pictures that I have taken even 3-4 years ago, and can't believe what was around. The economy really "helped" ruin many things that brought excitement to the rails for me, as well as a good group of others. Not quite the same as your topic, but just the same in the big picture.

Alec
Old 06-19-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

I hear ya' Barry. I started railfanning the LA&SL about a quarter century after the Jacks were no more. Until I started reading books about the history of the line, I had no idea that this had been their stomping grounds, and I quickly fell in love with the monsters. Although it's a sight I will never be priviliged to see, I'd give a whole lot to be setup for the Denver in Afton some fine Saturday morning and have it be led by a pair of Jacks sandwiching a Fast 40.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:26 AM   #4
lock4244

Anyone that has read the article "The Race for Horsepower" in a long ago issue of CTC Board would understand your point of view... even those of us that missed the DD era on UP. I'll be in southern Wyoming in a few weeks and rest assured I'll be thinking about what I'd have seen if it was 1979!

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
DME 6361

Default They didn't have to be renumbered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrySr View Post

Just now I was looking at a fine video by Allen Robertson on RV.net, where he did a fine job videotaping the UP 6905 west at Grand Island on June 13th, 2009.

THE UP 6905 WEST!

This is sacreligious. The 6900s should be forever remembered for the beasts and behemoths they were, a piece of UP history never to be repeated, but ALWAYS relished and remembered by anyone who fanned the 'real' UP.

Of course I knew that these were being converted, but I guess I was secretly hoping that I would never hear them on the radio identified by their new series. Though it makes sense to number them this way for continuity, there's a part of me that wished they just would have retired the series.

Oh, the countless hundreds of times that the scanner in Cheyenne would crackle with something like "OMW; 6913; 12:30PM in and out", or "6941 west in emergency at Paxton; overspeed got us again". Man those crews and those engines bring back soooooooooo many memories of magical times on the Overland.

So forgive this 48 year old fan of the 'real' UP and lend an understanding ear when I wax nostagic and shake my head when I hear this series on the radio from here on out.

It's just not the same.
Go to Utahrail.net and that will not even show that the U.P. was so arrogant to not listen to their employee's that they had to renumber loco's up to 7-8 times during the mergers. The same engine! It's so messed up that I work there and I have crews call me with their paperwork to know if they have a sd60, sd70 ace or a sd9043mac on the point for a leader! I have yet to find an engineer that knows the line up before we go out to the fuel plugs and get on beforehand. There is a lot of voids and skipping in the numbering system that they could have designated a slot for the DD40X's. You are right.
DME 6361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
nikos1

As long as they dont renumber the 6936, i guess its not that bad, yes for people who remember them, itll always bring back a bit of nostalgia only to be dashed by reality when they hear a renumbered AC60 over the radio. Not at all in the same league but for me I hate how CSX renumbered its SD70MAC's and SD80MAC's, when i hear CSX 727 or CSX 800 over the radio I think that just a few years ago a Big SD was about to pop around the corner instead of another GEVO.
But i guess if something has to fill the DD40AX's slot, i think the AC6000CW's are a worthy successor, they do after all represent UP's final (for now) attempt at ultra high horsepower and are one of the largest engines on the UP system.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:00 AM   #7
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
As long as they dont renumber the 6936, i guess its not that bad, yes for people who remember them, itll always bring back a bit of nostalgia only to be dashed by reality when they hear a renumbered AC60 over the radio. Not at all in the same league but for me I hate how CSX renumbered its SD70MAC's and SD80MAC's, when i hear CSX 727 or CSX 800 over the radio I think that just a few years ago a Big SD was about to pop around the corner instead of another GEVO.
But i guess if something has to fill the DD40AX's slot, i think the AC6000CW's are a worthy successor, they do after all represent UP's final (for now) attempt at ultra high horsepower and are one of the largest engines on the UP system.
Trust me, the AC6000 is absolutely not a worthy "successor" to the DDA40X model! Nothing at the present compares to it, seriously.
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:50 AM   #8
nikos1

Fine, mabye not, but would you rather UP have assigned they number range to the next batch of Genshi...err Gensets instead? Atleast the AC6000CW represents the the biggest and most powerful engine of its time.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrySr View Post

THE UP 6905 WEST!

It's just not the same.
All I can think of, Barry, is my first time railfanning California in 1978. My railfan dad was by my side and I was amazed to see those UP monsters... at Colton Tower, while my dad shook his head in sadness, thinking of his first time railfanning California in 1951, and said to me, "It's all crap now... used to be such beautiful steam on these three railroads... all gone and forgotten."

Yeah... it's all crap now.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
jdirelan87

I'll never understand where all the hate for UP comes from. For the past couple years, it has been in vogue to rip on the company at every chance.

Why?

They they maintain and regularly use a huge heritage fleet, honor predecessor railroads that are part of their rich history and regularly host events open to the general public. Additionally, the hand full of times I have found myself confronted by the UP police or employee, they have been nothing but respectful and helpful.

You know the last time I went to a CSX or NS sponsored event in the Pittsburgh area? Zero, because thats how many there was in the four years I lived in the city. The best those two railroads offer are a few occasionally used special engines (made to impress customers, not the public) that are normally followed by railroad cops chasing everybody away.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
I'll never understand where all the hate for UP comes from. For the past couple years, it has been in vogue to rip on the company at every chance.

Why?

They they maintain and regularly use a huge heritage fleet, honor predecessor railroads that are part of their rich history and regularly host events open to the general public. Additionally, the hand full of times I have found myself confronted by the UP police or employee, they have been nothing but respectful and helpful.

You know the last time I went to a CSX or NS sponsored event in the Pittsburgh area? Zero, because thats how many there was in the four years I lived in the city. The best those two railroads offer are a few occasionally used special engines (made to impress customers, not the public) that are normally followed by railroad cops chasing everybody away.
I agree completely John! To build on this, NS and CSX (just for example purposes) don't advertise those events either. Just one reason is, they are worried about random folk showing up at the terminal and asking for a trainride! (I've personally witnessed this!) That would not look good in the eyes of their customers and execs on the train.
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:58 AM   #12
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman View Post
I agree completely John! To build on this, NS and CSX (just for example purposes) don't advertise those events either. Just one reason is, they are worried about random folk showing up at the terminal and asking for a trainride! (I've personally witnessed this!) That would not look good in the eyes of their customers and execs on the train.
So why not offer them at a different time? You don't need to bring steam back to have a fall foliage excursion.

And here people are now grumbling, "stupid kid, its all because of insurance and liability."

Really, NS can't cover themselves on their own rails? Those trips down south over multiple days wouldn't pull in revenue and maybe make people a little more aware of the railroad in or near their town. Ask people, not railfans, along most of the UP system what railroad runs there and they will be able to tell you, not so much here. The UP steam program is all about PR and they do a hell of a job unlike the railroads here in the east...what are their names again...oh who cares.

And back on topic. Times change. I complained about the 4100 series being renumbered. I complained when they were all painted black. I'll complain when they are retired. I'll reminisce and upload tons of shots when new hover-engines are numbered in the 7200 for whatever railroad they belong to or *gasp* scrapped.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr

Yeah, back on topic; hate for UP wasn't mentioned or implied. I just mentioned that it wpuld not be the same when I heard a 6900 series on the radio. Anyone who has seen (or ridden!) a gaggle of those monsters on a shooter through Nebraska will likely attest.

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote