Old 11-26-2011, 12:35 AM   #26
n70guy

Default My two cents

Which is the most accurate? I suppose that's anybody's guess. All three are great photos. But, Photo Number 2 does "appear" to be far and away the most accurate. However, I'll go against the grain here and say, if it's hanging on my wall, it's Photo Number 1, I like the warm southwest look .... just my two cents guys. And remember, any opinion is only worth what ya paid for it... just my two cents

Randy

Last edited by n70guy; 11-26-2011 at 12:38 AM.
n70guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:11 AM   #27
Mgoldman

Jim, yeah, every few months I go through my files and put together an Mpix order of the best. Old habit, though it's cool to have a hard copy
and hold a print some times.

Ordered, arrived, archived, lol. If I recall, I got it in both metallic and matte finishes just to see it.

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 11-26-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #28
JimThias

Mitch, I'm guessing that shot would look pretty amazing in metallic finish. Let me know if and when you get some prints made (and what size options). Seriously, I'd love to have that hanging on my wall.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #29
Leia

I vote #2, then #3. Taking into account every one is different and art is subjective, I gotta say I prefer Mitch's scene. His horses still have all if not most of their shadows. The lack of defined shadows on the more processed (tone mapped) version almost makes it look like the horses hooves are floating where they touch the ground. I can see some, but it doesn't look as natural to me. Artsy? Sure. That it is.

Last edited by Leia; 11-26-2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: typos
Leia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:32 PM   #30
JRMDC

There are two differences in these shots, color, and tonality. I can see someone preferring the warmth of the first shot, but if so, I would much prefer seeing Mitch's shot warmed up (or Patrick's shadow work undone) rather than choosing #1. I greatly prefer the mix of light and dark in Mitch's version.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:28 AM   #31
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
There are two differences in these shots, color, and tonality. I can see someone preferring the warmth of the first shot, but if so, I would much prefer seeing Mitch's shot warmed up (or Patrick's shadow work undone) rather than choosing #1. I greatly prefer the mix of light and dark in Mitch's version.
Yes, and since the color and tonality in Pete's and Mitch's shot are almost identical, I'm going to have to say those are both "accurate" to reality. Unless of course, Mitch processed his shot and Pete's (or vice versa).

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #32
KevinM

I was out of internet range all weekend, so I'm late to the party.

I enjoyed Pete's original image and thought the scene the pick of the GCR charter (one of the few Lerro events that I was not able to attend due to a family commit). When Mitch posted his, I liked his processing better and felt that he improved on what Pete had done and figured he had dodged the (always infuriating) STP for that reason. My initial reaction last night when I saw the latest take was pretty much the same as most folks here....a bit heavy on the shadow reduction and too warm. I still like Mitch's version the best, because I believe he's got the level of contrast that makes the scene look most realistic to me.

It would be interesting to read Patrick's take on why he processed the shot the way he did. Perhaps he felt it had to be different enough from the others to even be accepted....its a real problem with a unique scene like this. It may also be that the site's never-ending emphasis on nose-light may be driving some photographers to more heavily use the fill and shadows tools in situations where it isn't really appropriate from an artistic standpoint.

I am glad that the RP Screeners have seen fit to include all three versions of this shot. All three are excellent photos and the combination of them dramatically demonstrates the variety of takes that human eyes can have on the same scene. The ensuing discussion has been useful for me, because it helps me better understand what the audience here likes and dislikes.

Now, if only Pete, Mitch and Patrick would offer classes on how to process dramatic photos.....

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #33
JRMDC

The three have been hanging out trackside for years and years!

Image © James Belmont
PhotoID: 382415
Photograph © James Belmont

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #34
lerro984

To set the stage for those who weren't there:

The original idea for this scene was to have the cowboys pace the train at a safe distance. After a couple of tries, it became apparent that the horses wanted nothing to do with the steam engine. If I remember right, someone in the photo line asked if the train could pose close to the crossing and have the horses walk across the tracks. Since this was the last shot of the day and we spent the money to have the horses there, I figured why not.

Since I'm not the biggest railfan, I found the horses more interesting than the train itself so I ran over to the ditch to get a silhouette shot of the horses themselves. See the attached picture.

Name:  horses small.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  80.0 KB

It just so happened that after I took this shot, the train came into view so I took the RP shot.

My post process theory was to have a rich blue sky contrast against the warm red and yellow tones of the horses and cowboys. I wasn't going for the mid tone effect at the other two shots. After looking at my the horse and train shot, which I uploaded to RP the night I took it, verses the horses by themselves, which I edited a few weeks later, I do notice that the RR version is slightly cooler than the edit of the horses themselves. Maybe one day I'll tweak it.

I really like Ansel Adams theory on photography in which he compares photography to music. The negative, or modern day raw file, is like the score to a song. The picture's "performance" is the edit and print. If you ever get a chance to read one of Ansel's books, you'll see that his raw negative test prints aren't nearly as dramatic as his final darkroom "performed" prints.

I really like this forum topic. You get to see how people who took almost the same picture "perform" it in different styles. It would be nice to see this more often.

Pete Lerro

Last edited by lerro984; 11-28-2011 at 06:49 PM.
lerro984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #35
JRMDC

Patrick's handle here is "Traingod" but he hasn't posted in a couple of years. He posts every blue moon to the Trip Reports forum. Maybe someone can contact him and ask him to chime in.

J

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 06-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #36
Traingod

5 years since my last post on this forum. Didn't even know this thread existed until now.

What's done is done. My take on the image was that it should have a warm Arizona sunset glow. Sure, I was probably a bit shadow/highlight happy back in 2011 (has it really been that long since that charter - it was a good time). Live and learn and move on to the next photo.
Traingod is offline   Reply With Quote