Old 05-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Default Anyone still mess with slides?

I have a Pentax Spotmatic from the 60s in the original box. I don't think it was ever used. I would kind of like to mess with it and see if I can take some slides. Of course once I do that I have nothing to view them with. I guess I'd have to buy some sort of projector at a minimum.

Any thoughts? Waste of time? Worthy endevour?
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

There's very little quite as fun as getting a new box of slides back in the mail and going through your work.

There is a market for slides on eBay, so if you take doubles/triples you can fund some of your railfanning by selling them. Of course, you can't make "correctable" mistakes with slides. What you shoot is what you get.

Buy yourself a roll of Provia 100 and a Fuji mailer (B&H Camera sells them) and run it through the camera. See if you enjoy it.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Any thoughts on a projector? what general type to look for? I remember them from school always blowing a bulb or not rotating, etc.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
I have a Pentax Spotmatic from the 60s in the original box.
Screw the slides. See how much you could get for the camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
There's very little quite as fun as getting a new box of slides back in the mail and going through your work.
But nothing as irritating as today looking at those slides in the box and knowing it's hard as hell -- and expensive -- to get quality scans of those slides which you could then share on line. Instead of waiting for the mail to arrive, I much prefer waiting to get back to the computer to see how my work turned out.

I do wish I had dove into slides much sooner than I did instead of wasting all that time and money and effort on print film. But I miss shooting slides about as much as I miss my grandma's old B&W TV that got three channels, none of which came in very clearly.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 05-10-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Yeah. I already looked into that. I'm guessing $200-$300 tops. You can find them in working condition for $50.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

200 to 300 would fuel a railfan day trip or two.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
oltmannd

Quote:
Any thoughts on a projector? what general type to look for? I remember them from school always blowing a bulb or not rotating, etc.
Kodak Carousel. They were the only ones with a lens that corrected focus for the curved edges of the slides. They would preheat them to get them to "pop" and you'd get a sharp projection all the way to the edge. The auto focus worked pretty well, too. They were also built well. Bet you can find used ones pretty cheap "out there".

You also need a screen. A flat white wall doesn't reflect much light. A glass bead or lenticular screen helps a lot.
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #8
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Maybe a day with $4/gal gas, this is getting ridiculous.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
oltmannd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
I'm with you! Of course, it also came with the "awe! I forgot to change the ASA back after that roll of high speed film!" blues, as well.
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltmannd View Post
Kodak Carousel. They were the only ones with a lens that corrected focus for the curved edges of the slides. They would preheat them to get them to "pop" and you'd get a sharp projection all the way to the edge. The auto focus worked pretty well, too. They were also built well. Bet you can find used ones pretty cheap "out there".

You also need a screen. A flat white wall doesn't reflect much light. A glass bead or lenticular screen helps a lot.
Thanks. That is helpful. Maybe I'll start hitting up the local flea markets.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #11
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I don't feel guilty about spending money on photography....you have to have some enjoyment in life. I drive an old toyota (98 Avalon - talk about dorky), don't have any other hobbies to speak of. bring a sack lunch to work, etc.

my wife might have another opinion, but to hell with her!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #12
Freericks
Met Fan

You can get a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual used for not much money to scan them. I figure scanning up a roll of slides takes me an evening. And because, frankly, I'm so careful about exposure and only shoot slide film in perfect conditions, there is really no editing.

As to Don's comment about the wrong ASA - yep, done that - but at least that was my mistake - had the box come back with every image a golden orange - camera store said the lab used the wrong chemicals.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:50 AM   #13
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

There's something to be said for slides. It does have a different look from digital and in some cases what you think may have been a wasted shot ends up being a pleasant surprise. I like the way smoke comes out on film shown in the two examples below. I'm pretty sure these shots would be trash taken with a DSLR. I can't seem to capture smoke that way with digital. But, I'm still learning.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:24 AM   #14
Freericks
Met Fan

Those are some beauties, Chris.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:29 AM   #15
JRMDC

Nice shots, Chris, but frankly, I can't see what film-specific qualities in the smoke you are referring to, unless you mean loading up the plumes with noise. That may be a function of the film or of scanning the slide, don't know. Overall, the puffiness reminds me of some of Walter's Cass stuff, which is digital, I believe.

Happy to learn, please explain.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #16
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Old cameras will need to be sent in and have the shutter timed as they get slower over time- 1/1000 maybe down to 1/600 old oil and weaker springs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #17
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Maybe a day with $4/gal gas, this is getting ridiculous.
I know its been said before, but it still amuses me hugely to see you guys bitching about $4/gal. My vehicle runs on diesel which is currently around the equivalent of $10.59/gal (UK gallon, so not quite comparing like with like, but you get the idea); petrol is slightly cheaper.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #18
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo View Post
I know its been said before, but it still amuses me hugely to see you guys bitching about $4/gal. My vehicle runs on diesel which is currently around the equivalent of $10.59/gal (UK gallon, so not quite comparing like with like, but you get the idea); petrol is slightly cheaper.
Comparing the gas prices in different countries is like comparing apples and oranges.

Live here, work here and pay $4/gal and you'll see why people bitch about it.

I average close to 100 miles per day with my job and have to spend $50+ every few days to fill up. $4/gal is ridiculous, especially when the price of oil is where it was a year or two ago when gas was $3/gal.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #19
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Chris - that second one is really nice. It would have been really really nice if that little baby tree wasn't in the front of the engine.

You're right, film gives it a different look than what we have become used to. Whether it be slightly different colors or grain, whatever. I like it a lot.

----------------
Scott - good info to know.
---------------

Steve - can you fit four kids, two dogs, four bicycles, and a bbq grill in the back of that car of yours? The nearest park is a 20 mile drive away for most people in the US.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #20
coborn35

I doubt you can fit that all either...
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #21
Wizzo

Quote:
Steve - can you fit four kids, two dogs, four bicycles, and a bbq grill in the back of that car of yours? The nearest park is a 20 mile drive away for most people in the US.

The Discovery could get the four kids in, probably 1 dog, 4 bikes is feasible if you use a rear and roof carrier, but I'd be struggling to fit the BBQ in as well

The Defender 90 would struggle to get more than 4 kids and a dog in and all of them live to tell the tale

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #22
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Ha - you have bigger cars than I have! But then I wasn't complaining about gas prices either.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:18 AM   #23
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Nice shots, Chris, but frankly, I can't see what film-specific qualities in the smoke you are referring to, unless you mean loading up the plumes with noise. That may be a function of the film or of scanning the slide, don't know. Overall, the puffiness reminds me of some of Walter's Cass stuff, which is digital, I believe.

Happy to learn, please explain.
I'm not sure how to explain it, except that it just has a different look. With all the different types of film that was once available, each one resulted in a different look or color cast or saturation. Ektachrome was one of my favorites as well as Velvia.

Here's another example of slide film. I don't know how it would turn out with a DSLR.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #24
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I don't mess with 35mm anymore at all, but I dig the look of Velvia. I simply can't get sky blues to look right on digital without getting some artifacts in the sky.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #25
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo View Post
Like Jim was saying gas cost more the diesel now. The output of gas is down making it somewhat short. Now this has to be a man made shortage!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote