Old 03-29-2018, 01:38 PM   #26
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
As far as details, pierced ears?

Bob
You're going to have a tough time finding women younger than the original Rosie without pierced ears, Bob.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:40 PM   #27
KevinM

Quote:
As anything RR's and WWII there are Delano photos online. The women are like the stylized version of ads of the time and thinking more of it, could be viewed in the realm of advertising art so maybe I was too harsh in my comments. However the pose and look is????? As far as details, pierced ears?

Bob
Hi Bob,

I think that if we have to get down to the earrings on the ladies in order to find serious inaccuracies in the "authenticity" of the images, then I would submit that they look pretty good for photos shot by a (LARGE) group of enthusiasts at an event that wasn't designed primarily as a portrait shoot.

The ladies depicted in these photos are not professional models. They are WWII re-enactors. Unlike some of the other "Rosie" shoots that we've done, this one did not include dedicated wardrobe or makeup people. Railroad scenes (equipment and infrastructure) were set up for the patrons to photograph and the ladies were on hand to enhance the scenes, once the basic photos of the scenes had been shot. Pete's charters give the patrons opportunities to photograph operations and scenes that would not otherwise be possible by people chasing normal operations. He does a great job looking after as many details as can be addressed at reasonable cost and with the time and resources available. No, the resulting images are not perfect, but to all but the most discriminating viewers, they look pretty darn good. These charters are also a way in which patrons can support the railroads financially, and lastly, they provide the railroad personnel with some cool photos of themselves doing what they love. I can't recall doing one of these, in which most people didn't go home having had a pretty good time.

As for the blizzard of post-charter photos, yeah, this one has been bigger than most. In the past, there have been fewer patrons who were RP contributors, and those folks tended to post a more selective set of images. As with anything, time changes the people and their approach. The nice thing about RP is that you don't have to click on anything, if you don't want to. Folks who are sick of the charter can just scroll right on by.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 03-29-2018 at 02:08 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:44 PM   #28
RobJor

My wife noticed earrings. Lots of women do retro look and pay attention to details. Anyway the thrust was in reference to Daniel's post and complaint about similar posts, not jewelry. I originally knocked the setup of the scene but took that back. I certainly never complained about too many posts from charter and think everyone should get their chance to share. Probably would be nice if individuals would be a little more judicious in timing and selection but that is their choice.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 03-29-2018 at 03:13 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:06 PM   #29
KevinM

Quote:
I certainly never complained about too many posts from charter and think everyone should get their chance to share. Probably would be nice if individuals would be a little more judicious in timing and selection but that is their choice.

Bob
I'd be OK if RP decided to limit everyone to just one submission per day. If everyone had to pick and choose carefully, I think it would enhance the quality of the daily photo parade. It would also give more attendees a shot at getting some decent views after a charter, special move, 611 run, etc.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:24 PM   #30
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I'd be OK if RP decided to limit everyone to just one submission per day. If everyone had to pick and choose carefully, I think it would enhance the quality of the daily photo parade. It would also give more attendees a shot at getting some decent views after a charter, special move, 611 run, etc.
As a relative latecomer to the RP party, I'm limited to two uploads per day, and that works just fine for me. The ability to edit material is a quality that is lost on many people, and a limit would help that issue. In the pre-digital days, I would go to many basement slide show get-togethers. There would usually be at least one guy who would show a bunch of scenes with questionable light/exposure with a few gems thrown in, or a sequence of approaching power/rosters of each unit/going away of the power, and none of them were good. While the RP screening process should eliminate most questionable shots, a bunch of same-day submissions gives the impression of that submitter's inability to pick their best results from an event.

It would also limit rejections, as submitters would quickly learn to go over their images in a detailed manner if they wanted to get something on the site.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.

Last edited by Decapod401; 03-29-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:27 PM   #31
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I've been wanting one submission a day (with allowance for resubmitting rejections) for years. That would certainly slow down the photographers who feel they simply must drop the whole memory card on here every time they go out.

Loyd L.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #32
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
You're going to have a tough time finding women younger than the original Rosie without pierced ears, Bob.
My wife doesn't have pierced ears... admittedly it's because she has an extreme nickel alergy which doesn't allow it
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:55 PM   #33
troy12n
Banned

I think these type of staged photos are dumb, and I include the "cleaning headlight" type photos too, OWL did it, and it's been over-done ever since, these type of things, regardless of the sex of the "shop worker", are so over-done, hey, stage someone dressed in almost period clothes looking intently at something that doesn't exist... cool
Old 03-29-2018, 07:59 PM   #34
troy12n
Banned

This one is worse

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 653193
Photograph © Mitch Goldman
Old 03-29-2018, 08:42 PM   #35
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I think these type of staged photos are dumb, and I include the "cleaning headlight" type photos too, OWL did it, and it's been over-done ever since, these type of things, regardless of the sex of the "shop worker", are so over-done, hey, stage someone dressed in almost period clothes looking intently at something that doesn't exist... cool

All depends - Here is a Neoclassical Version. Matching boots and cap, color splash with jacket, natural pose and great smile.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Utah.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	451.4 KB
ID:	9598  

Last edited by RobJor; 03-29-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:03 AM   #36
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
All depends - Here is a Neoclassical Version. Matching boots and cap, color splash with jacket, natural pose and great smile.

Bob
I'm not sure what's going on there, but I could get more into a "hot chicks and trains" sub than the contrived shots...
Old 03-30-2018, 01:03 AM   #37
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I'm not sure what's going on there, but I could get more into a "hot chicks and trains" sub than the contrived shots...
As I remember she was in a nearby condo and saw the train and came over to say hello, take some photos and get a cab ride.

Bob