Old 03-05-2018, 02:28 AM   #1
cyberdoctorind

Default A Rejection Again ! A Confused Soul on Exposure

I am here again thoroughly confused on RailPictures evaluation of a specific photograph for Exposure. I like to keep my photographs bright and nice, however when I started to submit my photographs to RP, I submit them by slightly underexposing them and today I have been caught between Under and Over Exposure game with 2 of my submissions rejected

Rejected for being underexposed

[photoid= 1642131]

Rejected for being overexposed

[photoid= 1642204]

Between these 2 photographs, the EV probably is 1/2 a stop and when I look at the second image on my monitor it seems to be ok to me.

The question that I have is, how do I get the exposure correct in PostProcessing and is it worthwhile to go for the 3rd submission for this specific photograph ?

Please advice.

Last edited by cyberdoctorind; 03-05-2018 at 02:30 AM.
cyberdoctorind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:40 AM   #2
KevinM

You will need to post the actual links to the rejections. Rejected photos do not have valid photoids, so no one is able to see the images that you are referring to.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:56 AM   #3
cyberdoctorind

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
You will need to post the actual links to the rejections. Rejected photos do not have valid photoids, so no one is able to see the images that you are referring to.
Ah Thanks Kevin .

Here we go with the full links

Rejection for Overexposure

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...04&key=4325576

Rejection for Underexposure

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...31&key=8001724

Queued Photograph with re-corrections to the exposure applied as deemed fit by me [ I still find this one dark ]

http://www.railpictures.net/viewqueued.php?id=1642220
Old 03-05-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
Joseph Cermak

Links to queued photos are not visible to anyone but the photo submitter. As for the other two versions, the underexposed one is definitely underexposed. The over exposed one doesn't look extremely overexposed, I'd have to see the histogram. I would have just bumped exposure down by .10 or .20 from that rejection. It seems to me like you over corrected.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:20 PM   #5
cyberdoctorind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Links to queued photos are not visible to anyone but the photo submitter. As for the other two versions, the underexposed one is definitely underexposed. The over exposed one doesn't look extremely overexposed, I'd have to see the histogram. I would have just bumped exposure down by .10 or .20 from that rejection. It seems to me like you over corrected.
Thanks Joseph, Apologies for the lame questions but I am very confused as to what RP considers Acceptable exposures. I have already become famous with the screeners because of the rejections that I get just because of my ineptitude on Post Processing specific to RP or I am way off my PP skills.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KZJ_14031_RP.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	9590

I do not know if I should re-submit the photograph above (which I have corrected) as I am sure something else will come up. Please advice.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:55 AM   #6
JimThias

I think your processing issues have more to do with your computer monitor than with your knowledge and ability. What are you using to edit and view your photos?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:28 AM   #7
cyberdoctorind

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I think your processing issues have more to do with your computer monitor than with your knowledge and ability. What are you using to edit and view your photos?
I use a 2014 MacBook Pro with LR 6 Jim
Old 03-06-2018, 03:11 AM   #8
JimThias

Ok, now I'm scratching my head. What I've seen so far from your recent photos posted here is either flat looking (like straight out of the camera raw file) or an odd color (hue). They shouldn't take much tweaking to get them to "pop."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote