Old 03-01-2018, 07:59 AM   #1
cyberdoctorind

Default Blurry: The subject of the image is blurry - Help Needed !!

I have again earned a rejection, this time due to the reason that the subject in the image is blurry.

The rejection photograph is at http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...51&key=7904266

The High Resolution Photograph is at

https://500px.com/photo/247778751/th...er_id=17826489

where I do see that the image is sharp.

I suspect that resizing the image to 1600x1200 makes the image soft. How do I ensure that the image is sharp even when resized or what makes the screeners decide on the sharpness of the images ?

Thanks in advance
cyberdoctorind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
miningcamper1

The engine front is fairly sharp on 500px, but not much else.
I would try once more at 1200x800 with additional sharpening.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 03-01-2018 at 09:28 AM. Reason: addition
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

Going off the Ballast, it appears your focus point is roughly 60 meters in front of the locomotive. You might be able to selectively sharpen, or see if you have another shot where the nose is closer to the focal point.

Loyd L.

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 03-01-2018 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Im dumb
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
RobJor

I was surprised to see 1600 as maximum. I size mine to the "old" max of 1200. As a note the 1600 photos I see do not size themselves on my laptop screen but I have to scroll to see it all. I only see this a few times. 99 pct of the images I click on size themselves correctly to my screen size. I don't know if this is a function of my computer or the site software not handling 1200 and 1600 sized photos the same.

My suggestion would be to reprocess to 1200 wide and see what happens???

Also, if for some reason in the processing you upsized the image(like from 1024 to 1600), you will have a problem.

Bob Jordan

Maybe someone else can look at these two, if you have larger screen the scrolling will not show up.

Your rejection:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...51&key=7904266

Mine, now corrected.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...92&key=1654362
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
Grewup on the CW

I have 27" monitor and the high resolution pic looks better but I agree with Lloyd that the focal point if off, creating the issue it was rejected for. Hopefully you have other frames/shots where the camera focused on more of the scene.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:22 PM   #6
cyberdoctorind

Thanks everyone for all your valuable feedback. The resubmitted photograph has now been accepted http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=61989

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
The engine front is fairly sharp on 500px, but not much else.
I would try once more at 1200x800 with additional sharpening.
Bingo, this worked in my favour. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Going off the Ballast, it appears your focus point is roughly 60 meters in front of the locomotive. You might be able to selectively focus, or see if you have another shot where the nose is closer to the focal point.

Loyd L.
I selectively sharpened the image which has brought in the necessary details Viz, the Loco Serial and the type. The Orange decals on a light blue background did make my work difficult. Thank you so much for your suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
I was surprised to see 1600 as maximum. I size mine to the "old" max of 1200. As a note the 1600 photos I see do not size themselves on my laptop screen but I have to scroll to see it all. I only see this a few times. 99 pct of the images I click on size themselves correctly to my screen size. I don't know if this is a function of my computer or the site software not handling 1200 and 1600 sized photos the same.

My suggestion would be to reprocess to 1200 wide and see what happens???

Also, if for some reason in the processing you upsized the image(like from 1024 to 1600), you will have a problem.

Bob Jordan

Maybe someone else can look at these two, if you have larger screen the scrolling will not show up.

Your rejection:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...51&key=7904266

Mine, now corrected.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...92&key=1654362
Fortunately, I shoot in RAW at the highest resolution possible. In this case, it was downsizing. However the main issue that I face with my resizing is most of the images turn out very soft and when I try to bump up the sharpness too much to counteract the softness brings in lot of noise which ultimately leads to rejection. Any tips on downsizing without loss of appreciable quality will be appreciated .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
I have 27" monitor and the high resolution pic looks better but I agree with Lloyd that the focal point if off, creating the issue it was rejected for. Hopefully you have other frames/shots where the camera focused on more of the scene.
Agree about the focal point. I did have a subsequent shot but I wasn't sure of it being accepted due to the rule of thirds rule.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
Grewup on the CW

Congrats on getting it on. These forums have really helped me take and process better pics.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Going off the Ballast, it appears your focus point is roughly 60 meters in front of the locomotive. You might be able to selectively focus, or see if you have another shot where the nose is closer to the focal point.

Loyd L.
Loyd brings up an important point. What sort of focusing scheme are you using? Most cameras these days have all manner of 3D focus tracking and other dynamic modes in which a ton of focus points flash when you release the shutter. I don't trust those modes much at all. I use single-point auto focus, in which I select the focus point, so I can place it somewhere on the locomotive.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:47 PM   #9
cyberdoctorind

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Loyd brings up an important point. What sort of focusing scheme are you using? Most cameras these days have all manner of 3D focus tracking and other dynamic modes in which a ton of focus points flash when you release the shutter. I don't trust those modes much at all. I use single-point auto focus, in which I select the focus point, so I can place it somewhere on the locomotive.
Thanks Kevin for the tip, I will switch to Single Point AF going forward. Generally I have this habit of using Zone AF with the points trained on the Loco Face. The current Photograph's AF points are spread through out but I suspect this is not an accurate representation as I do not get so many points on my 100-400 with a 1.4 Extender on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 10.06.26 PM.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	336.3 KB
ID:	9578
Old 03-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #10
RobJor

He is shooting at 420mm at 250th. Then EXIF says +1.4 III., not sure if this is an extender, I'd say this is living at the edge of what is technically possible?. Then not sure if there was cropping. ISO is only 200. Not sure how fast the train is moving.

Camera is an 80D so I'd guess moving up to 400 and doubling the shutter speed would be good idea. Shows pattern metering, so as was pointed out using a point metering and setting point on engine would be good.

DOF is limited, so to me you have DOF, focus, camera shake and motion blur possible all in one image?? so looks pretty good.

Bob

Oh, I do not have a lens over 300mm so just whatever it was worth.

Last edited by RobJor; 03-01-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:11 PM   #11
cyberdoctorind

Quote:
He is shooting at 420mm at 250th. Then EXIF says +1.4 III., not sure if this is an extender, I'd say this is living at the edge of what is technically possible?. Then not sure if there was cropping. ISO is only 200. Not sure how fast the train is moving.

Camera is an 80D so I'd guess moving up to 400 and doubling the shutter speed would be good idea. Shows pattern metering, so as was pointed out using a point metering and setting point on engine would be good.

DOF is limited, so to me you have DOF, focus, camera shake and motion blur possible all in one image?? so looks pretty good.

Bob

Bob, I have been spoilt by the 100-400 II which has a good stabiliser inbuilt, So I tend to shoot as lower Shutter and lower ISO as compared to me using the original 100-400 IS when I used to religiously follow the reciprocal focal length rule which meant that my shutter speeds were consistently high. I have a 1.4 III extender always bolted on to this set up. I agree to your advice on upping the ISO to 400 and doubling the shutter speed.

I probably got away this time because the train was moving very slow as just ahead was it's scheduled stop and the Photo has not been extensively cropped.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 10.26.09 PM.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	9579

The above is the representation of the AF points that locked when the shutter was on and I now notice that None of them locked on the face of the engine which probably explains the softness. I will switch to a single AF point and see how it goes along with following the reciprocal rule.

Thanks so much for your valuable feedback.

Ahem RailPictures indeed makes your learn.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:46 PM   #12
KevinM

Quote:
He is shooting at 420mm at 250th. Then EXIF says +1.4 III., not sure if this is an extender, I'd say this is living at the edge of what is technically possible?. Then not sure if there was cropping. ISO is only 200.
Current stabilization technology is really good. I can quite regularly get sharp images with my 80-400 mm f/4.5-5.6G VR at 1/60th, hand-held.....but I would never shoot trains that way. It's nice to know I can get away with it in a pinch, but if it's a shot I can't repeat, I'm jacking the ISO and getting as much shutter speed as I can.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:49 PM   #13
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdoctorind View Post
Attachment 9579

The above is the representation of the AF points that locked when the shutter was on and I now notice that None of them locked on the face of the engine which probably explains the softness. I will switch to a single AF point and see how it goes along with following the reciprocal rule.
The problem with dynamic autofocus modes is that they can so easily be distracted by something as simple as a large bumble bee flying through the frame. You really have no idea what that camera is going to lock onto. With single-point, you'll get a lot more keepers.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:22 PM   #14
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
The problem with dynamic autofocus modes is that they can so easily be distracted by something as simple as a large bumble bee flying through the frame. You really have no idea what that camera is going to lock onto. With single-point, you'll get a lot more keepers.
I trained myself to back button focus and use center point only. It's the rest option in my book.

Loyd L.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:11 AM   #15
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdoctorind View Post
I have again earned a rejection, this time due to the reason that the subject in the image is blurry.

The rejection photograph is at http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...51&key=7904266
Sure looks sharper than this:

Image © Tom Farence
PhotoID: 649997
Photograph © Tom Farence

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:52 AM   #16
Dennis A. Livesey

When posting a photo in the RP database, this is the form to use:

[photoid=xxxxx]

The x being the number you see in the URL.

Thus:

Image © cyberdoctor
PhotoID: 650047
Photograph © cyberdoctor

Now if someone would only tell me how to post images here and make a nice, big embedded image that is not in the database instead of a tiny thumbnail.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:31 AM   #17
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Now if someone would only tell me how to post images here and make a nice, big embedded image that is not in the database instead of a tiny thumbnail.
Image tags.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 03-02-2018, 02:32 AM   #18
JimThias

Old 03-02-2018, 02:52 AM   #19
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Image tags.
OK, but how is that feat actually accomplished?

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:51 AM   #20
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Jim Thias loves being inscrutable.

"Image tags" is not helpful to people such as me who have no idea what they are Jim!

Love ya

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 03-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #21
RobJor

Quote his post and you will see the tricks of the master!!!

I added in the two capital XX to avoid a repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
[IMG]XXhttps://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/28515192_10156044979310833_8202230700754132044_o.j pg?oh=f1f5bc86d64ec421de7238b5841bbe98&oe=5B0D717F[/IMG]
But I don't want to see a lot of hot steam or large photos here!! Smile.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 03-02-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:55 PM   #22
Dennis A. Livesey

OK, the Old Guy figured it out...

Took him years.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Last edited by Dennis A. Livesey; 03-02-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #23
cyberdoctorind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
Congrats on getting it on. These forums have really helped me take and process better pics.
Thank you. Everyday with RP has become a learning experience for me.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:27 PM   #24
JimThias

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Jim Thias loves being inscrutable.

"Image tags" is not helpful to people such as me who have no idea what they are Jim!

Love ya