Old 04-27-2017, 01:03 AM   #1
Joseph Cermak

Default Views from outside links

I seem to remember that you were able to view a list of how many views on a photo came from outside links to the photo but I can't seem to find out how to do this now. Was this feature removed or am I just blanking on where to look? Thanks.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:46 AM   #2
Mberry

Feature was removed fairly recently...
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:48 AM   #3
Joseph Cermak

huh that's odd....any idea why? doesn't seem like anything else was changed on the site.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:41 AM   #4
KevinM

What has changed is that the To24 spots are really no longer available to people who post images without links. So many people are mounting Facebook campaigns now that unless you've got a derailment or a nice-looking woman in the shot, you've got no shot at home page exposure. I had an SC last week and it still failed to make top of the day.

To24 is no longer decided by how interesting/compelling an image might be. Rather, it has more to do with how many "Facebook friends" one has.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 04-27-2017 at 03:43 AM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:08 AM   #5
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
What has changed is that the To24 spots are really no longer available to people who post images without links...
And perhaps admin was tired of hearing that accusasion? If so, problem solved. Too bad, but nothing really has changed other than not being able to see our own history - which is also a shame.

I suppose more people may link now that there's no trail left behind.

'Shame - after all these years hoping for new features, members loose some instead.

On the brighter side, it seems EXIF is back after an absense. But like before, and different than originally, the EXIF info has been abreviated so as to not include the time of the day - a really nice feature long gone despite the ability of users to hide their EXIF to protect either themselves, employees or in some cases, their knowledge (aka; figure it out yourself).

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
RobJor

There was point a little while back where the link to views would work but referral data did not show, that was fixed so maybe a technical glitch. Anyway I think heavy FB promoted are often easy to pick out. Certain contributors, multiple shots of the same thing often of a particular type or ones that just are what the heck.

On a side note, looking at the number of photos I think it is poor taste posting similar photos of the same train at different but similar locations back to back.
More of a flickr thing?

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
What has changed is that the To24 spots are really no longer available to people who post images without links. So many people are mounting Facebook campaigns now that unless you've got a derailment or a nice-looking woman in the shot, you've got no shot at home page exposure. I had an SC last week and it still failed to make top of the day.

To24 is no longer decided by how interesting/compelling an image might be. Rather, it has more to do with how many "Facebook friends" one has.
Incorrect... I got a TO24 yesterday for this shot. No links... No Facebook, no nothing. I really wasn't expecting it either.

Homie Don't play that

Image © Troy Nolen
PhotoID: 614429
Photograph © Troy Nolen

I get your sentiments, and generally I would mostly agree with you, but does still happen occasionally
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #8
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
On a side note, looking at the number of photos I think it is poor taste posting similar photos of the same train at different but similar locations back to back.
More of a flickr thing?

Bob
Unfortunately, that's a fact of life for those of us who shoot steam, particularly on charters. Only rarely will the charter operator switch up the consist during the course of an event, so what we end up with are lots of shots of the same train. Obviously, when we post them here, we try to mix up the locations a bit, but some railroads also don't offer an incredible variety of scenery. In my case, I almost never post more than one or two a day, so it's not like you'll see a blizzard of shots of the same train on the same day from me. I like to do sets of 5-8 photos from one railroad, then move on to something else.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I get your sentiments, and generally I would mostly agree with you, but does still happen occasionally
Right. It is still possible, but it is not like it was. I used to enjoy RP a lot more when it was like a daily photo contest, with everyone putting up their daily shot and seeing whose images the site audience found more interesting. Now, many contributors are bringing in their own, private audiences, and while I have no objection to that, I think that external views should not count toward To24 slots on the home page. Contributors such as Kevin Burkholder should not be able to "stuff the ballot box" and thereby monopolize the home page exposure.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #10
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
I think that external views should not count toward To24 slots on the home page.
Not that I feel right defending them, but I don't think, technically speaking, they have any real way to weed out those types of views...
Old 04-27-2017, 05:26 PM   #11
RobJor

Quote:
Unfortunately, that's a fact of life for those of us who shoot steam, particularly on charters. Only rarely will the charter operator switch up the consist during the course of an event, so what we end up with are lots of shots of the same train. Obviously, when we post them here, we try to mix up the locations a bit, but some railroads also don't offer an incredible variety of scenery. In my case, I almost never post more than one or two a day, so it's not like you'll see a blizzard of shots of the same train on the same day from me. I like to do sets of 5-8 photos from one railroad, then move on to something else.
Steam, special movements, rotaries are not what I was referring to.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:27 PM   #12
SAR Connecta

Quote:
Right. It is still possible, but it is not like it was. I used to enjoy RP a lot more when it was like a daily photo contest, with everyone putting up their daily shot and seeing whose images the site audience found more interesting. Now, many contributors are bringing in their own, private audiences, and while I have no objection to that, I think that external views should not count toward To24 slots on the home page. Contributors such as Kevin Burkholder should not be able to "stuff the ballot box" and thereby monopolize the home page exposure.
I really don't have a problem with Facebook links etc (I confess I do it). As for Kevin Burkholder "stuffing the ballot box" I say good luck to him as he continually brings a steady stream of awesome images to the party, private audience or no private audience. Everyone has the same choice i.e. to look / click or not to look / click.....just my two cents.

My Railpictures.Net photos can be found here http://www.railpictures.net/sarconnecta/.
SAR Connecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #13
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR Connecta View Post
As for Kevin Burkholder "stuffing the ballot box" I say good luck to him as he continually brings a steady stream of awesome images to the party, private audience or no private audience.
After the infamous PoTW situation a couple of months back, I always wonder which ones are actually authentic and which ones are just "Photoshop Phantasy."

My RP stuff is here.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:06 PM   #14
KevinM

Quote:
Not that I feel right defending them, but I don't think, technically speaking, they have any real way to weed out those types of views...
They definitely do. Before the recent changes, you could not only see how many externally-generated views a photo had, but you could also see the individual sites that were linked and the hit counts from each. I suspect that the site owners like all of the external references, because they can use the extra hits as ammunition to charge their advertisers higher rates....and there's nothing wrong with that. Good for them. I just think that the hit-counters that are used to determine the To24 slots (homepage exposure) should be based only on internally-generated views. In that situation, the popularity of the image would be based solely on folks seeing the thumbnail and deciding whether or not it looked interesting enough to click on. Each RP visitor gets one vote on each shot each day. After all, that's why the RP Admins implemented the rules that prevent the photographer from generating views by simply clicking on it over and over him/herself.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:00 PM   #15
Decapod401

Quote:
Kevin, I tend to agree with you. I have had photos, deserving or not, clearly getting the views to put them in To24 contention, passed by linked photos shortly before they made it to the top four. It seems to me that there are two general category of linkers. The first consists of contributors who are like the jerks who pass everybody on the shoulder of the highway in a traffic jam. They would have eventually gotten to the destination, but have a sense of self importance that makes them think that they have a right to get there before everybody else. The second, nor of which I have noticed recently, are the ones whose uninteresting images are suddenly making it to the top. I would rather see the photos speak for themselves.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:34 PM   #16
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
....... I would rather see the photos speak for themselves.
I solely agree with this comment. After all why did we decide to join/be members and post to a "Railroad" related website and audience? Who better to judge our "Railroad" photos than those that share our passion of railroads? While FB and others....has their own audience and views, I am simply looking for what appeals to others who share my passion of railroading. Which leaves me to sorting just railroad related stuff and not everything else posted on the others sites. True there are just FB pages/groups related to just RR stuff but your not gonna get the feed back on your "RR" photos like you will on a site like RP that is dedicated to just RR stuff.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:29 AM   #17
bigbassloyd

Quote:
After the infamous PoTW situation a couple of months back, I always wonder which ones are actually authentic and which ones are just "Photoshop Phantasy."

Since he is the greatest railroad photographer ever... fantasy is reality.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:02 AM   #18
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Since he is the greatest railroad photographer ever... fantasy is reality.

Loyd L.
What shot are you talking about, don't remember.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:12 AM   #19
bigbassloyd

Quote:
What shot are you talking about, don't remember.
VTR 431 on her maiden voyage with disappearing trailing units would be the most recent ones.

There's plenty of others though. That is why when you are the worlds greatest railroad photographer.. fantasy is reality.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:13 PM   #20
JimThias

Quote:

I must not be friends with the right train nerds on FB. I never see any of these Top Shots show up in my FB feed.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote