Sorry, I forgot about my non-US forum members lol

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #52
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
I'll stop at Hardee's if the only other option is a microwaved cheeseburger at a convenience store.
Home of the eternal wait.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #53
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I really dislike Hardees (Carl's Jr for you western folks), but I don't visit there to talk about how much I dislike them.

Loyd L.
I can take or leave most of what Hardees has. Occasionally they have something good, a few years ago they had a REALLY good fried chicken sandwich, but they discontinued it in favor of a "chicken strip" sandwich.

It was a LARGE, juicy, tasty sandwich. Their burgers are mediocre.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #54
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Update:

Webster and Blue Ridge fell today. The rest will be gone in the next 2 weeks. So plan your shots accordingly..
Well crap...

I knew webster would be done by the time Memorial day rolled around, but figured blue ridge would still be up
Old 04-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #55
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Well crap...

I knew webster would be done by the time Memorial day rolled around, but figured blue ridge would still be up
They fully intend to be CPL free well before 611 struts up the grade.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #56
xBNSFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR Connecta View Post
If "their" guidelines are so stupid and you have an obvious dislike for the site / you don't feel inclined to submit your photos to the site, why bother about visiting the RP forum?
I never said I disliked the site. And I bother to participate in the forums because I enjoy participating in the discussion about photography, and contributing to discussion about how a photo can be improved - which is not necessarily the same thing as changing a photo to appease the screeners.
xBNSFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #57
SAR Connecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBNSFer View Post
I never said I disliked the site. And I bother to participate in the forums because I enjoy participating in the discussion about photography, and contributing to discussion about how a photo can be improved - which is not necessarily the same thing as changing a photo to appease the screeners.
A quick Google search for xBNSFer confirms your enjoyment for railroad photography forums without a doubt. I guess I'm just battling to get my head around how anyone can feel comfortable "insulting the host/s in their own lounge" so to speak.

My Railpictures.Net photos can be found here http://www.railpictures.net/sarconnecta/.

Last edited by SAR Connecta; 04-17-2017 at 05:08 PM.
SAR Connecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:36 PM   #58
troy12n
Banned

I'm pretty close on this, right? I thought the exposure was almost spot on, there's some dark spots where light was blocked by the smoke plume, but the rest of the scene is on, right?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...43&key=5953946
Old 04-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #59
RobJor

I would clone out the croucher(looks pretty easy), I know the thing now is to include some of the photographers but this is a nice scene and he is a distraction here .??

I often get the underexposed sooo, but I ran it through the raw converter and auto exposure brightened it up a bit plus upped the whites(which make the plume pop) and contrast. Your settings seem to be right at the sunny 16 but don't know what adjustment you made plus the sun is getting lower.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:23 PM   #60
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
I would clone out the croucher(looks pretty easy), I know the thing now is to include some of the photographers but this is a nice scene and he is a distraction here??
Believe me, I almost did... I don't think it's a distraction, per se, but I like my shots clean. If the guy wasn't crouching and acting like a foamer, I probably would have cloned him out, but he looks kind of funny so I left him in

Shot was 1/500, F8, ISO100 on a 5D mark 1 on a EF 28-105 USM II @ 28mm
Old 04-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #61
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Believe me, I almost did... I don't think it's a distraction, per se, but I like my shots clean. If the guy wasn't crouching and acting like a foamer, I probably would have cloned him out, but he looks kind of funny so I left him in

Shot was 1/500, F8, ISO100 on a 5D mark 1 on a EF 28-105 USM II @ 28mm
Troy, I'd say it is definitely underexposed. Obviously, I wasn't there, so I don't know the time of day, but shooting late afternoon in full sun, I'd usually be at 1/500th and f/8 at ISO 200.....a full stop faster. Even at mid-day, shooting those settings at ISO 100 would still be about 1/3rd stop slow.

I like the shot, and I think you can fix the exposure issues. I am on the fence with regard to the "croucher". I'm generally OK with regular folks, meaning bystanders in the shot, as long as they are positioned such that they don't obstruct the view of the train. I'm not as happy with photographers in the shot. Their presence just makes the shot scream words like "foam" and "chase"....neither of which are things that I want my pictures to say. Also, the positioning of this guy so close to the edge of the frame just makes him a distraction. Just my thoughts, anyway.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:03 AM   #62
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Troy, I'd say it is definitely underexposed. Obviously, I wasn't there, so I don't know the time of day, but shooting late afternoon in full sun, I'd usually be at 1/500th and f/8 at ISO 200.....a full stop faster. Even at mid-day, shooting those settings at ISO 100 would still be about 1/3rd stop slow.

I like the shot, and I think you can fix the exposure issues. I am on the fence with regard to the "croucher". I'm generally OK with regular folks, meaning bystanders in the shot, as long as they are positioned such that they don't obstruct the view of the train. I'm not as happy with photographers in the shot. Their presence just makes the shot scream words like "foam" and "chase"....neither of which are things that I want my pictures to say. Also, the positioning of this guy so close to the edge of the frame just makes him a distraction. Just my thoughts, anyway.
I brightened it up and resubmitted it. I like the shot too.

Edit: yeah, I guess that did the trick

Image © Troy Nolen
PhotoID: 613699
Photograph © Troy Nolen

Last edited by troy12n; 04-18-2017 at 01:04 PM.