Old 02-14-2017, 01:30 AM   #1
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Question My turn

Does the attached toot anybody's horn. It is a UP westbound climbing Donner Pass above Truckee. I am uncomfortable with the composition but can't come up with anything I like better. There is also an image quality issue because of heat waves around the units which were grinding up the hill fairly slowly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UPdonnerintocurves1000.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	795.0 KB
ID:	9367  
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:47 AM   #2
Kyle Korienek

Do you have more below? Maybe getting the full swing of the rail in the foreground would give some extra interest to the foreground and create depth and another layer of interest to the viewer.

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Kyle Korienek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:05 AM   #3
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Korienek View Post
Do you have more below? Maybe getting the full swing of the rail in the foreground would give some extra interest to the foreground and create depth and another layer of interest to the viewer.
Thanks for the interest. Actually I have lots of room at the bottom and my original version showed more of the curve, but for some reason I decided the curve seemed like dead space and I cropped a lot out. I probably should post the whole frame since the version I posted was highly cropped and there are also some nice mountains in the background that I cropped out. Here is the whole frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thewholeframe.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	9369  
Old 02-14-2017, 02:13 AM   #4
abr

I'll caution that this is a quick and dirty edit and the first time I've given advice on here so I'd recommend you see what others have to say, but what about something like this with a 16:10 aspect ratio? I know it doesn't give the same appreciation of the beautiful surrounding scenery, but I do love how the curvature of the track sweeps your eye towards the train.

I'm thinking if you do something along the lines I've done by increasing the exposure, contrast and shadows, while lowering the highlights may the lessen the harshness of the shadow on the right side of the lead unit, as well as the exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UPdonnerintocurves1000-2.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	9368  
abr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:32 AM   #5
Decapod401

John,

I like it a little looser than your treatment on all sides, especially right and bottom. Here's my cropping-only edit.

Name:	JW DEL Edit.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	9370

Doug Lilly
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:55 AM   #6
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Thanks guys for the ideas. Tomorrow morning I will get back on Photoshop and see what I can do.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:55 AM   #7
JRMDC

John, I don't find it of interest. It's got this weird big rails / small train thing going if you leave too much rail in front. Then, you seem to be losing the majesty of the setting, the distant background is obviously mountainous but has little presence. It's a tree, an S-curve, and a train, and the three elements just don't balance to my eye and I don't see a solution.

Next time maybe shoot higher - more conventional, not crouched down or otherwise close to railhead level - so you can include more foreground track without getting disproportionate rail height - a closer train would help with that. For my tastes, more mountains up top, doesn't work to cut off so close to the top of the tree.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:17 AM   #8
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
John, I don't find it of interest. It's got this weird big rails / small train thing going if you leave too much rail in front. Then, you seem to be losing the majesty of the setting, the distant background is obviously mountainous but has little presence. It's a tree, an S-curve, and a train, and the three elements just don't balance to my eye and I don't see a solution.

Next time maybe shoot higher - more conventional, not crouched down or otherwise close to railhead level - so you can include more foreground track without getting disproportionate rail height - a closer train would help with that. For my tastes, more mountains up top, doesn't work to cut off so close to the top of the tree.
This is basically the problem I have. The frame seems to have some potential but my initial efforts just didn't excite me. So I thought I would see if the folks here could find something I was missing.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:06 AM   #9
miningcamper1

Slight variation on Doug's version:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thewholeframev2.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	9371  

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:13 AM   #10
miningcamper1

Oh, and do beware the dreaded dark-nose rejection!

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #11
RobJor

I like the full frame, train climbing the mountain. Maybe some off the right and bottom.? Enough on the front to retain the leading lines and emphasize the grade but I like retaining the full context of a nice location.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thewholeframerevised.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	9372  

Last edited by RobJor; 02-14-2017 at 01:01 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:13 PM   #12
Grewup on the CW

Any shots with the train closer to you? For my taste, I like the scenery which gives you more to look at and gives the viewer a better feel for where YOU were at and would help to convey that moment.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #13
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile Thanks

I have opted for essentially the full frame version. This will go into my personal collection, a decent shot but somehow lacking the pizzaz to get me very excited about it. Maybe if I shot a bit wider (and higher) and if there was snow on the peaks it would be more interesting. Thanks for the input, I enjoy the differing perspectives of the various folks here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UPdonclimbingwest950.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	949.4 KB
ID:	9373  

Last edited by John West; 02-14-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:37 PM   #14
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
Any shots with the train closer to you? For my taste, I like the scenery which gives you more to look at and gives the viewer a better feel for where YOU were at and would help to convey that moment.
I do have some closer frames but the composition is not particularly good, plus the nose has a lot of shadow. The only solution is I'm just going to have to return and try again....it is always good to have an excuse to return.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:40 AM   #15
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
I was going to suggest this... one with the train about halfway through the next curve. You will also have the nose in a little better light, it will be taking up more of the frame and still have all the scenic elements (which I like, and works)
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:30 PM   #16
JimThias

John, I know you were probably trying create a different mood with that s-curve, but these seem to be the winning shots for that specific photo location (which I know you're quite familiar with).

Image © Chris Mohs
PhotoID: 578217
Photograph © Chris Mohs

Image © Chris Mohs
PhotoID: 577540
Photograph © Chris Mohs

So yeah, closer might be the key here.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:13 PM   #17
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
John, I know you were probably trying create a different mood with that s-curve, but these seem to be the winning shots for that specific photo location (which I know you're quite familiar with).

Image © Chris Mohs
PhotoID: 578217
Photograph © Chris Mohs

Image © Chris Mohs
PhotoID: 577540
Photograph © Chris Mohs

So yeah, closer might be the key here.
I was probably going for some kind of big mountains small train kind of effect, which is part of my style. I was hoping the curves would provide some "graphical" interest. Obviously it didn't work all that well. Maybe a close but no banana kind of thing. Probably the major thing I would do differently next time is wait for some snow on the peaks in the background (there is a LOT of it right now!). And possibly the approach used for the Amtrak shot might work for me. The closer shot is a nice wedgie, and there is nothing wrong with a good wedgie, but I'm trying to force myself to do different stuff. Thanks to all who commented, as noted above it is interesting to see how different folks react to my stuff. It also reflects that there is no one "right way" because different stuff appeals to different people, which of course is at the root of why we have so much trouble with those darn screeners.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #18
xBNSFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
Thanks for the interest. Actually I have lots of room at the bottom and my original version showed more of the curve, but for some reason I decided the curve seemed like dead space and I cropped a lot out. I probably should post the whole frame since the version I posted was highly cropped and there are also some nice mountains in the background that I cropped out. Here is the whole frame.
Infinitely better without the crop you showed the first time.
xBNSFer is offline   Reply With Quote