Old 05-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #1
Reinhard

Default Maximum penalty

I got a rejection "Poor Aesthetic Quality", no matter, it's a common feeling at certain days....

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...05&key=6191559

But then I found this picture accepted, perhaps during the same screener session:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/616390

IMHO one of the worst photos, i've ever seen on Railpictures, although the picture shows the last semaphor in California.

Regards
Reinhard
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #2
KevinM

Hi Reinhard,

Gosh, when I read the title of this thread, I thought you'd been banned. Looks like it's just a rejection. We've all got 'em.

With respect to your photo, I see the issue as a composition thing. Although there are three locos present, there is no well-defined subject. It looks like what some people would call a snapshot (vs. a nice composition.) Also, the locos are all shown rear quarter, which RP typically doesn't like as much. If you have some other frames with better compositions, or a better-defined subject, those could potentially have a better chance. I think the subject matter is interesting, but it is just not presented as well as it could be.

With respect to the other image that you referenced, it is a film shot from 1987. RP is a lot more tolerant of image quality issues with older film stuff. In this case of this particular image, I don't see the signal as the main subject. It's just a frame for the glinty hopper move that's in the crossing in the distance. That's the real subject. Obviously, if that were shot with a state-of-the-art DSLR today, the image quality would be tons better.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
With respect to the other image that you referenced, it is a film shot from 1987. RP is a lot more tolerant of image quality issues with older film stuff. In this case of this particular image, I don't see the signal as the main subject. It's just a frame for the glinty hopper move that's in the crossing in the distance. That's the real subject. Obviously, if that were shot with a state-of-the-art DSLR today, the image quality would be tons better.
I don't know, when I saw that other shot he mentioned on RP today, I had my feelings about it. Not just from an image quality stantpoint. The train is pretty obstructed (crossing signals, poles, signal boxes, etc), and the grain is horrid. I have seen photographers have older photos rejected for grain that were not that bad.

It's a great concept (a glint shot on the backdrop of storm clouds, at a crossing-at-grade nonetheless), older shot (SD9), with a semaphore, so all those things helped get it on.

I would agree the OP's photo is lacking a central subject, and composition is lacking.

I also agree that comparing the two photos is not the best way to make his point.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
JRMDC

The OP's shot, my eye is drawn to the overhead pipe, it is such a dominant element in the scene. The engines are rather hidden, in green foliage and in shadow. It just doesn't work as a shot at all.

The accepted shot is so different from the rejected shot in so many dimension, tonality, color, composition, glint, image quality, geesh, nothing useful is learned in the comparison.

In most cases, I think, comparisons are of little value anyway; each shot stands on its own.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

Reinhard, I think your shot is too tight. And as mentioned, the pipe draws my eyes to it before anything else. I'd loosen it up and let the tracks lead to a vanishing point on the left side of the frame. I haven't looked at thew rejected shot (yet) because it won't tell me anything that is wrong (from an RP standpoint) with your shot.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

Just looked at the accepted shot. Wow. That's all I can say. And not a good wow.