Old 11-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
Grewup on the CW

Default Amtrak Coke Polar Bear

While I'm not a big fan of collecting Amtrak pics or modeling (HO) along the catenary wires nor those types of loco's, this loco just made my bucket list and quite possibly into my HO collection. ( I'm sure this will appeal to many and hit the shelves in the near future. ) Anyone know if this will stay in the DC area or where it will go?

Image © Matt Donnelly
PhotoID: 716354
Photograph © Matt Donnelly
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #2
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
While I'm not a big fan of collecting Amtrak pics or modeling (HO) along the catenary wires nor those types of loco's, this loco just made my bucket list and quite possibly into my HO collection. ( I'm sure this will appeal to many and hit the shelves in the near future. ) Anyone know if this will stay in the DC area or where it will go?

Image © Matt Donnelly
PhotoID: 716354
Photograph © Matt Donnelly
NEC and possibly the Harrisburg line - the only places Amtrak is electrified. Not sure why you would think an Amtrak loco would stay in one spot.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
NEC and possibly the Harrisburg line - the only places Amtrak is electrified. Not sure why you would think an Amtrak loco would stay in one spot.
As I mentioned, I'm not a big fan of the electric locos and all the garb from the over head lines, so other than the line that runs by Strasburg RR and what I see on here, I really dont have a clue where this loco would run. Never had an interest, until now, to chase an electric train which is why I was asking for any ideas on where it might be running. I cut my teeth on Alco diesels bellowing black smoke, not overhead bird perches
Old 11-18-2019, 09:28 PM   #4
Decapod401

Quote:
As I mentioned, I'm not a big fan of the electric locos and all the garb from the over head lines, so other than the line that runs by Strasburg RR and what I see on here, I really dont have a clue where this loco would run. Never had an interest, until now, to chase an electric train which is why I was asking for any ideas on where it might be running. I cut my teeth on Alco diesels bellowing black smoke, not overhead bird perches
While I'm not interested enough to devote much dedicated time to Amtrak's electrification, I think you would do well to spend a few hours along the northeast corridor. It's not the trolley operation that you seem to think it is. You won't see birds perching in the catenary. While I find the locomotives ugly and the train consists repetitive, standing on a station platform watching a train pass a few feet away at 100+ mph is a pretty humbling experience.

The PRR electrification was just a little out of range and traffic patterns unknown, I wish that I had been able to shoot the PC/early Conrail electric freight service, and I really wish that I had been able to shoot the Milwaukee electrification.

One other note - If you try to chase a train on the NEC, you won't catch it until it's on its return trip.

My RP Pics are HERE.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:01 PM   #5
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
While I'm not interested enough to devote much dedicated time to Amtrak's electrification, I think you would do well to spend a few hours along the northeast corridor. It's not the trolley operation that you seem to think it is. You won't see birds perching in the catenary. While I find the locomotives ugly and the train consists repetitive, standing on a station platform watching a train pass a few feet away at 100+ mph is a pretty humbling experience.

The PRR electrification was just a little out of range and traffic patterns unknown, I wish that I had been able to shoot the PC/early Conrail electric freight service, and I really wish that I had been able to shoot the Milwaukee electrification.

One other note - If you try to chase a train on the NEC, you won't catch it until it's on its return trip.

Humbling is a good descriptive even at 35. Ive been near 60 plus but not a 100, yet. If we could only have back the days we missed.......I grew up in a RR family but never fully appreciated what was right in front of me at the time. I wanted to be a Railroader, studied the books my dad brought home from all his classes. When I hit 19/20, NS happened to be holding a hiring session for the Chesapeake Western. I went and took all their tests and past with flying colors but was never hired. Did this 3 times in a 2/3 year span. Finally my dad had enough and started asking the right questions to the right people and he got an answer as to why they would not hire me.
If I could pause time, I would right now and let you ponder the answer but since I cant......
NS would not hire because I knew too much about Railroading and considered me a "Train Nut"!!! What the heck!

Care to explain more on the NEC? (Wont see it until its on it's way back)

Last edited by Grewup on the CW; 11-18-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:10 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

If you want to enjoy a good operational experience closest to you, there's a couple good options between DC and Baltimore. Seabrook MARC station is a decently safe area that allows a very... very close experience. The other good location is Bowie either on the museum side, or the opposite side (landowners are very friendly and it's very safe).

Both locations are within the highest speed limit areas between DC and NYC, which is pretty damn cool to be honest. Find yourself there during the morning or evening during the week, and you can expect 5-10 trains running 110-125mph every hour (along with 2-4 MARC service trains which is somewhat slower but they have more variety for power).

What Doug is alluding to is there is absolutely no chasing on the NEC. What goes by, won't be seen again until it turns at NYC, DC, Harrisburg, or Boston for a return lol.

Seabrook:

Bowie:

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 11-18-2019 at 10:21 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:25 AM   #7
Decapod401

Quote:
NS would not hire because I knew too much about Railroading and considered me a "Train Nut"!!! What the heck!

Care to explain more on the NEC? (Wont see it until its on it's way back)
One of my friends who did several western trips with me in the 80's recently retired after a career with Conrail/NS in the marketing department. He is a very accomplished photographer, but never wanted his employer to know about his hobby, and stayed under the radar for the most part. He always claimed that association with the hobby could hinder his career, and your experience doesn't surprise me.

Maybe it would ease your pain to consider it from NS' standpoint. Think about many of the foamers that you have come across over the years. I would bet that many would let their infatuation with trains hinder their ability to make sound operational or business decisions.

WRT the NEC comment, Loyd addressed it perfectly.

My RP Pics are HERE.

Old 11-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #8
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
One of my friends who did several western trips with me in the 80's recently retired after a career with Conrail/NS in the marketing department. He is a very accomplished photographer, but never wanted his employer to know about his hobby, and stayed under the radar for the most part. He always claimed that association with the hobby could hinder his career, and your experience doesn't surprise me.

Maybe it would ease your pain to consider it from NS' standpoint. Think about many of the foamers that you have come across over the years. I would bet that many would let their infatuation with trains hinder their ability to make sound operational or business decisions.

WRT the NEC comment, Loyd addressed it perfectly.
That was the in depth answer my dad received when he questioned once again why they would pass on someone who already knew a lot about the business. Looking back, all I can say is that they still missed the boat, on me at least. I was just a young man looking for a job, trying to follow in my fathers footsteps. Being a foamer was the last thing on my mind and today I still dont consider myself a foamer. I only picked up the camera little over 4 years ago as it was just sitting there collecting dust. I started messing with and well caught the photo bug. Naturally I turned my interest of photography to my all time interest of trains. Unfortunately my dad had already retired so I missed capturing those moments so I turned my interest into more of preservation of the CW not only collecting photos but info and history. I am all about picking up the forgotten pieces where corporate brass only sees them as stepping stones to the top and padding their pockets along the way from lack of preservation (At least on the CW that is). Whenever I am around or on trains I still use the knowledge I learned reading my dad's work books to keep myself, my family and those around me safe. I guess if that still classifies me as a nut or a foamer, so be it. While I would have been retired from the RR by now, had I gotten the job, I may have never picked up that dusty camera and caught that preservation bug....

Last edited by Grewup on the CW; 11-19-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #9
Decapod401

Quote:
That was the in depth answer my dad received when he questioned once again why they would pass on someone who already knew a lot about the business. Looking back, all I can say is that they still missed the boat, on me at least. I was just a young man looking for a job, trying to follow in my fathers footsteps. Being a foamer was the last thing on my mind and today I still dont consider myself a foamer. I only picked up the camera little over 4 years ago as it was just sitting there collecting dust. I started messing with and well caught the photo bug. Naturally I turned my interest of photography to my all time interest of trains. Unfortunately my dad had already retired so I missed capturing those moments so I turned my interest into more of preservation of the CW not only collecting photos but info and history. I am all about picking up the forgotten pieces where corporate brass only sees them as stepping stones to the top and padding their pockets along the way from lack of preservation (At least on the CW that is). Whenever I am around or on trains I still use the knowledge I learned reading my dad's work books to keep myself, my family and those around me safe. I guess if that still classifies me as a nut or a foamer, so be it. While I would have been retired from the RR by now, had I gotten the job, I may have never picked up that dusty camera and caught that preservation bug....
Please understand that I was not calling you one of those foamers. I was pointing out that the railfan hobby is rife with people who love trains, but wouldn't know how to differentiate between their vocation and their avocation. Unfortunately, those of us who do are lumped in with the rest who could easily be a liability to the railroad.

My RP Pics are HERE.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:13 PM   #10
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Please understand that I was not calling you one of those foamers. I was pointing out that the railfan hobby is rife with people who love trains, but wouldn't know how to differentiate between their vocation and their avocation. Unfortunately, those of us who do are lumped in with the rest who could easily be a liability to the railroad.
I'm with you, I knew your were not calling me a foamer but rather being "lumped in" with the group. I was just telling my story of how NS treated me when I was looking for employment and if they/NS want to still consider me a foamer, then so be it. One bad apple spoils it for the rest of us, unfortunately they chose to not look past their nose to differentiate.