Old 07-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #1
J-M Frybourg

Default USA versus Rest of the World

Railpictures is an American web site, granted. But the international audience and the proportion of non US-Canada picture has grown significantly since the early years of RP.

Recently, I suggested in vain to flag a "HOT PHOTO ALERT" on the front page on the occasion of the first picture of a new European dual mode locomotive: http://www.railpictures.net/photo/664195/

I knew that the Alert would most probably not happen. But I gave it a try. And today, I see the hot photo alert on the RailPictures front page for a modernized version of an already well known engine. Only visible difference is the red color on the front part of the engine. Still, it deserves a hot photo alert, something any non US engine will probably never get, whatever the degree of innovation.

At times of arrogant Trump attitude, I was just wondering what consideration this site gives to their international customers and audience...
J-M Frybourg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
RobJor

Lot of ways to look at this and I can see both sides. More news alerts could be good as long as it is not overdone. That dual mode is a news item, but as far as alerting people to be on the lookout? Maybe a nod to the NS as a corporation and the interest they have provided to railfans, not to mention increased views. Thanks for a new thread, might get a little interest going for the forum.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 07-22-2018 at 01:23 AM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
ATSF666

I think it is more R-P's special relationship they have with the official photographer of the NS than anything else. I wouldn't read anything more into it than that.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:34 PM   #4
J-M Frybourg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATSF666 View Post
I think it is more R-P's special relationship they have with the official photographer of the NS than anything else. I wouldn't read anything more into it than that.
OK, thanks for the heads up.
Still the imbalance between how US pictures and non-US are treated can be felt in many ways. Which is not aligned on the universal nature of the claim and mission "The BEST railroad photos on the net".
Old 07-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #5
ShortlinesUSA

I would ask this-- for a first photo, this locomotive is filthy, and to me appears it has been in service for several months. I admire your work and the places you have been, but to be patently honest, this photo comes across as just another roster shot of any locomotive, be it U.S. or foreign. It wouldn't be worthy of a hot photo alert regardless of where it was taken, IMO.

To put it in perspective, I have photographed nearly 300 shortline railroads in the USA. I can (and have) put up the first photos of some of those lines on this site. None received a hot photo alert, nor would I expect them to. The alert seems to be reserved for very newsworthy locomotives that will draw the attention of younger U.S. fans who will aggressively pursue them trackside, and used pretty rarely. In fact, I can't really recall the alert being used since Norfolk Southern was releasing the heritage units and the company photographer used this site to debut the photos.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #6
J-M Frybourg

So if I understand well, this confirms my assumption that the hot alert is indeed a US-only alert, and perhaps (even worse), an advertising for Norfolk Southern.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #7
miningcamper1

I think the word "clickbait" sums it up nicely. This started as a USA/Canada only site, and a (large?) percentage of fans here were probably fine with that.

Speaking of clickbait, in the larger internet universe I've been getting breaking news alerts no matter what site is on the screen. Thankfully the alerts are brief and unobtrusive so far!

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:43 PM   #8
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-M Frybourg View Post
So if I understand well, this confirms my assumption that the hot alert is indeed a US-only alert, and perhaps (even worse), an advertising for Norfolk Southern.
The alert banner and links was likely an idea by admin to attract more views (aka; page views). That being said - those alerts would have to be of interest to a majority of viewers.

It was... is a good feature, though can anyone recall the last time it was instituted? I do not recall the Amtrak nor SEPTA ACS-64 Cities Sprinters being highlighted, nor even the first run of UP #844 - so it's hit and miss - like many things about this site these days - seemingly, autopilot with sporadic visits by admin.

However - I am rather surprised your request was not accepted. As a well patronized long term member - it would've been an appropriate courtesy in my opinion.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:00 AM   #9
csx_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
It was... is a good feature, though can anyone recall the last time it was instituted? I do not recall the Amtrak nor SEPTA ACS-64 Cities Sprinters being highlighted, nor even the first run of UP #844 - so it's hit and miss - like many things about this site these days - seemingly, autopilot with sporadic visits by admin.

/Mitch
I seem to recall seeing it used when the first image of UP #1943 was uploaded.
csx_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:24 AM   #10
J-M Frybourg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
As a well patronized long term member - it would've been an appropriate courtesy in my opinion.

/Mitch
Well... you don't know what courtesy I have got over the past years here. The well patronized long term member (and also paying customer) has been banned for an incredible of years from appealing against a rejection. These days, I am banned from front page (TO24, etc.). I have also incredible difficulties getting old pictures of historic value accepted, pictures that were taken in the 70's or 80's, with the non digital quality of the time, and sometimes cloudy shots. And again, in contrast, pictures of poor quality (that I would never dare to submit), but of historical value representing US trains easily make it to the RailPictures database. Some examples:
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/650398/
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/654826/
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/654947/
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/660183/
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/662209/
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/662272/
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/662290/
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/662401/

There are other aspects confirming the pro-US bias despite the ever growing international audience. Think about proportion of non-US pictures that got a SC? Just compare the proportion of Screener's Choice awards going to non US pictures with the proportion of (unbiased) People's Choice Awards (selection by any visitor) that fairly go to any picture, whatever showing a US or a non-US train.

Last edited by J-M Frybourg; 07-22-2018 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:41 AM   #11
KevinM

I wonder what the statistics for the site look like with respect to the geographic regions where the hits are coming from? I also wonder if the target audiences for the advertisers that support the site might be germaine to this discussion. We have to keep in mind that RP is a business and we are suppliers, not customers. If we put our business hats on, which comes first?

PS - Don't anybody ever go thinking that most Americans think (or act) like the guy with the blonde hair. I'm sure we've all met someone that you just can't take anywhere. He's that sort of guy.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:56 AM   #12
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Quote:
These days, I am banned from front page (TO24, etc.).

C'mon now. Wanna tell everyone why you're taking a little vacation from the front page?
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:21 AM   #13
J-M Frybourg

There is always a good reason. There was also a good reason why I was banned 10 years from appealing to a rejection. Granted.

Now I am so much tempted to self-ban myself entirely from RPN. Even more given the nice alternatives. That will be the end of the story. And of my presence here. After so many others that have left. Everything considered, I think I am quite resilient and patient.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #14
J-M Frybourg

I miss the pictures of Robin Coombes here, and Blair Koostra, Alan Crotty, Ross Fotheringham, Richard Gennis, Maarten Van der Velden, Justin Tognetti, French photographers Remy Daugeron, Clement Ecoffey, Olivier Julian, Gregoire Brossard; and so many others that have left. I try to follow them elsewhere on several sites instead of one single "best" site.

Last edited by J-M Frybourg; 07-22-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:32 PM   #15
RobJor

Lot discussion going on here looking at one topic:

SC - I think we had discussion about more mid-western and other ideas. probably ask 10 people and get 10 suggestions. I'd like to see some more variety of styles. The DQ photo for photo of the week is neat but going outside the box even more, I saw this one and thought if I ever wanted to take just one railfan photo this would be it. Maybe you had to be a kid in the 60's to know what it was like -

Image © Tom Nelligan
PhotoID: 665162
Photograph © Tom Nelligan

Bob Jordan

Last edited by RobJor; 07-22-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:07 PM   #16
bigbassloyd

Quote:

Now I am so much tempted to self-ban myself entirely from RPN. Even more given the nice alternatives. That will be the end of the story. And of my presence here. After so many others that have left. Everything considered, I think I am quite resilient and patient.
Completely unnecessary. If you don't like it, then why subject yourself to the place? Nothing has apparently changed since your last 'RP hates the rest of the world' post. When I hit a point where this place no longer appeals to me, guess what?? There won't be a farewell post, or insinuation of leaving. lol

Loyd L.

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 07-23-2018 at 03:11 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:18 PM   #17
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Completely unnecessary. If you don't like it, then why subject yourself to the place? Nothing has apparently changed since your last 'RP hates the rest of the world' post. When I hit a point where this place no longer appeals to me, guess what?? There won't be a farewell post, or insinuation of leaving. lol

Loyd L.
So say we all.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:19 PM   #18
ShortlinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post

Loyd L.
What he said. You know, this whole "Railpictures.net hates anything non-U.S." has annoyed me for some time. But it does make me wonder...is that the overall feeling of the majority, or just the loudness from a vocal minority here on the forums?

Here's what I have to say. The vast majority of U.S. railfans have no aspiration or means to venture over to Europe or Asia to photograph trains. Therefore, they don't care about those subjects.

For me, I'm a bit different. As a younger fan, friends and I laughed at the "barrels and wagons" we saw in photos of European trains. Had I not become an airline pilot with the ability to expand my railroad photography beyond U.S. borders, I'd probably still be joking about "barrels and wagons."

I often go through the entire rack of submitted 24 hours for any given day, and non-U.S. shots typically make up approximately a quarter of the accepted shots. And guess what? They generate little interest. Sorry, JMF and the other "Railpictures.net hates foreign contributors" conspiracy types, but it is just the nature of the site. I really like what the world has to offer, and make mental notes off of what I see here. But for the average U.S. fan, photographing a railroad outside the USA is a pretty far-fetched idea, and unlikely to happen. They aspire to go to locations such as Fostoria, Ohio and Folkston, Georgia. And they are interested in photos from these locations. Things within the realm of possibility for them generate interest. Something you see as a subject you can't believe a U.S. railfan wouldn't give their life to photograph weighs on an equal scale with what I see when foreign fans ask for information about the U.S. Really, you want to do Tehachapi?!? There are SO many better things to do here. But invariably, I see the foreign crowd wanting to come see our most cliched and over-hyped locations.

So, I guess we should just agree to disagree. And the "USA versus the world" part is quite petty. That's just another ruse you and your "This site hates foreigners" crowd uses to disparage this site. Honestly, I had forgotten your name until this dust up. I was honest when I said I enjoy your work and the places you have been, but even more honestly, when you go off this "America hates the world" rant you do from time to time, I just want to say say this site will be fine without you and your photos. It doesn't have any effect on how often I submit photos on contribute on the forums.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:46 PM   #19
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
What he said. You know, this whole "Railpictures.net hates anything non-U.S." has annoyed me for some time. But it does make me wonder...is that the overall feeling of the majority, or just the loudness from a vocal minority here on the forums?
Definitely not. When I first heard about this website, way back in 2001, I knew it was exactly what I was looking for. At that time, there were only a handful of non-North American pictures (such as a few pictures of trains going through Conwy Castle, in northern Wales).

Frankly, I find non-North American rolling stock rather boring. I do like Australian locomotives. But they're generally more American-looking than British/European. Though, maybe that's a little biased (as that's where I'm from).
Old 07-23-2018, 11:11 PM   #20
Grewup on the CW

I second Lloyd & Mikes comments and will add more to it. 1st - this site belongs to someone else and they have their own tastes so If they dont like a pic, thats their prerogative. All of us have gotten offended at someone point cuz one our own pics was not "good enough". I have gotten offended, so I put on my big boy pants and quickly I got over it and used the critiques to better my RR photography. 2nd -Like Mike said the chances of me getting overseas for anything would be once in a lifetime thing and more than likely will never happen. My biggest issue with the oversea's posters (and some of the posters from USA & CA) is when I see a pic that appeals to me and I click on it, there is no description!! What good is an interesting shot if there is nothing there to tell me about it and entice me to venture overseas to collect my own photo?? Everybody has their favorite RR whatever that appeals to themselves, give me more that just a pic to look at, give me a reason to like your stuff. I love anything about history and thats why I am on this site, to preserve history thru my lens and throw in any facts I can along the way. I'd love to come overseas and see and explore the things I have read about in the history books. Since I cant, bring it to me, with descriptions and when RP dont like it, just roll with it, cuz at the end of the day its still your pic and you liked it enough to try and share it with the rest of us.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:11 PM   #21
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
What he said. You know, this whole "Railpictures.net hates anything non-U.S." has annoyed me for some time.

So, I guess we should just agree to disagree. And the "USA versus the world" part is quite petty. That's just another ruse you and your "This site hates foreigners" crowd uses to disparage this site. Honestly, I had forgotten your name until this dust up. I was honest when I said I enjoy your work and the places you have been, but even more honestly, when you go off this "America hates the world" rant you do from time to time, I just want to say say this site will be fine without you and your photos. It doesn't have any effect on how often I submit photos on contribute on the forums.
Well said Mike. Rationalizing a rejection, especially by calling out others' photos after having over 4000 photos on the site seems like a greatly inflated sense of entitlement. With that many photos accepted, is one more so important that stirring up the "RP hates foreigners" argument is necessary?

And like you Mike, I have had a career that has taken me off of the continent from time to time, and I have done some limited foreign rail photography. It doesn't mean that I expect any of the photos to go to TO24.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.

Last edited by Decapod401; 07-23-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:41 PM   #22
RobJor

As an American I like the overseas content some countries more than others. Most of the US/Canada content tho I like, I can mostly roundup similar other places. Here I can get a smattering of world content in one place.

I like Argentina, India, some eastern europe, some of the Austria and Switzerland. Who doesn't like most of the Russia images and they don't even have anything on me. What I don't like is the large volume foreign posters emptying their camera card day after day. I know you can pass them by and I do.

The problem with the OP is he may have had point with his original comment but then went all over the place. I have to laugh about his one original comment, I am old enough to remember Le Grande Charles.

Bob Jordan
Old 07-24-2018, 02:33 AM   #23
NorthWest

In regards to the hot photo alert, a lot of US stuff doesn't get it either- there wasn't anything for the first SEPTA ACS-64 or Amtrak Cascades SC-44. Other than UP 1943, I think all it has been used for is official NS stuff.

As for the whole US vs everyone else debate, I think most of the complaint is that North American stuff gets to break the rules more than stuff from elsewhere. I think this is a valid critique, but the reason why the other stuff is accepted is because it is considered historical/nostalgic by the American-based screening staff. Perhaps if there were a European screener or two things might be different, but the site is currently set up the way it is.

I like foreign things because they are different, and because I like to travel. I like to see different takes on train photography, and not all are accepted here. For these, I use my Flickr. I've found that many of the Japanese photogs like their trains right on the image edges, which I don't understand, but is interesting. I also put up my stuff there that RP doesn't like.
NorthWest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:13 AM   #24
Mgoldman

Quote:
There are other aspects confirming the pro-US bias despite the ever growing international audience. Think about proportion of non-US pictures that got a SC? Just compare the proportion of Screener's Choice awards going to non US pictures with the proportion of (unbiased) People's Choice Awards (selection by any visitor) that fairly go to any picture, whatever showing a US or a non-US train.
Think of it more as a US site that has seen a substantial growth in foreign patrons. It's not "pro-US", it's just perhaps slow to recognize a rapidly growing foreign base. I would agree, a foreign screener might be a good idea - heck, any new blood with enthusiasm for the site would be beneficial. That being said, that doesn't much help unless all "foreign" pics are screened by a foreigner from a country often foreign to photos from foreigners. Maybe RP needs a foreigner for the appeals? Better yet - my suggestion to admin is seemingly simple - with all due respect - lighten up and be more flexible to well known and received contributors. The loss of several and the perceived atmosphere here deprives the site of its potential. As a fan of the site, I'll add, it's much more fun to post among the best of the best than that best of what's left.

I think most of us can agree - JM is an extremely talented photographer and certainly an asset to the site, its viewers and the hobby in general in regards to the material submitted. I am glad you continue to post here, JM - as I am sure other are.

As for foreign images - I certainly appreciate the opportunity to be exposed to new equipment, incredible scenery and the history that comes along with it. It's not appealing to all, but then again - neither are all the endless roster shots of black, blue, yellow and orange diesels. Or, worse - lol - SEPTA commuter trains! But there's an historical aspect to the database as well.

Incidentally - some of us are here equally for the photographers in addition to the photography. I've always welcomed the idea of RP being known also as a place with the BEST photographers on the Net, as well.

In short - if you have a gripe on the Forums - write it down, be constructive. If you have nothing constructive to say, but feel inclined to say something anyway (lol - we all do at times) , perhaps don't post until you have had a chance to re-read it 24 hours later. And most importantly - admin, perhaps a modicum (more) tolerance and flexibility especially for well established patrons and well received newcomers. I say this without a dog in race - well, one dog, but no personal gripes other than the fact I'd like to see more participation (once again) and enthusiasm from RP staff. Start here in the Forums, but make your way to the admin suggestions and TODO threads, lol.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #25
J-M Frybourg

I respect the personal choice of people wanting to know and visit only their part of the world, and uninterested in what exists beyond their own borders. This cultural limitation exists in parts of the population in any country in the world.

But this is not the topic here. Perhaps the title of the thread was wrong. What this thread is about is that despite the site being gloabal in nature (international / universal) - or pretending to be - the reality is a de facto inequality of treatment between pictures depending on their country of origin.