Old 09-14-2018, 11:56 PM   #1
MassArt Images

Angry PAQ Beverly Shores Station (7 day showing)

Not everyone likes Asparagus either. I thought it was cool right down to the rail electric arc flash, and for seven days you can view it here.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...80&key=2869637

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE

Last edited by MassArt Images; 09-15-2018 at 12:03 AM.
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #2
RobJor

I think that is Broccli? I like it, neat station that I have seen night photos of but not here so just for the station could have been accepted. Don't see the blur photos that much now that there are night flashes. Bob
RobJor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
GoDogGo

That's a neat picture. As best I can tell, RP doesn't really like blur shots anymore unless there is something very, very unique about the shot.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:25 PM   #4
miningcamper1

At least one study concluded that dislike of asparagus, brussels sprouts, and broccoli is more than preference, it is genetic. I like that study.
I think that Chase has done some night blur shots, so maybe they are divided on this.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
At least one study concluded that dislike of asparagus, brussels sprouts, and broccoli is more than preference, it is genetic. I like that study.
I think that Chase has done some night blur shots, so maybe they are divided on this.
Three of my favorite veggies. I thought it might get accepted since a blur shot of a signal was recently a SC. Iíll put it up my sleeve for a later hand (submission try).

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
Old 09-16-2018, 03:21 AM   #6
bigbassloyd

The blur is more of a distraction than a contribution to the subject. The ballast center to right is also detracting from the scene. Just my opinion, but I agree fully with the rejection.

Loyd L.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #7
vcode455

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I kinda like it and it is different. I mean when some locations here have a gazillion photos only differing in the locomotive leading the way, a little change is nice to see.
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:29 AM   #8
Joseph Cermak

I definitely like what you're going for here, and the building is very interesting, but I'm not sure this particular execution works.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:20 AM   #9
amtrak07t

I'm sorry to say that I agree with the rejection as well. Since the non-railroad related building is the subject, it's not going to be accepted. Additionally there's not a compositional relationship with the building as well. The streaks create an unnecessary barrier between the viewer and the building. The viewer cannot focus on the entire image...the focal point of the image is a competition between the blur and the building.

If you are anxious to try again, use the railroad to support the building. Perhaps try not including the railroad at all (which you could use for your portfolio).
amtrak07t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #10
vcode455

Non-railroad related building? It is and has been the South Shore station since 1929. I have no problem focusing on the entire image. Like I said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder......
Old 09-18-2018, 07:20 PM   #11
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcode455 View Post
Non-railroad related building? It is and has been the South Shore station since 1929. I have no problem focusing on the entire image. Like I said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder......
I am with him, this could have been accepted. Distraction, I don't get it, it is a foreground blur. I like the colors of the blur match the colors of the station sign. I never like chain link fences in front of stations but that is what is there.

Merging two photos could have produced a better result but looking at a typical days offering, this would have been a plus.

Bob
Old 09-19-2018, 05:25 AM   #12
amtrak07t

It doesn't really look like a station, and you don't mention that it is railroad related in the description. You might of had a better chance if you would have included it in your description. For someone like me who isn't familiar with the area, I would have no idea that it had anything to do with the South Shore.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:27 AM   #13
amtrak07t

Also, it looks as if the tripod moved as you were taking the photo. The ballast on the right seems to have some motion blur.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #14
vcode455

It's not my photo but it says Beverly Shores Station in the location description. I don't know what caused the blur in the ballast. Meanwhile a roster shot gets 25K views....
Old 09-19-2018, 01:15 PM   #15
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrak07t View Post
Also, it looks as if the tripod moved as you were taking the photo. The ballast on the right seems to have some motion blur.
With a million pounds rolling past the tripod a mere ten feet away, I am sure it moved a little. I liked the neon sign, which is not lit during the day, disliked the chain link fence, so I decided to incorporate a train blur that would minimize the fence by making your eyes focus on a different fore ground distraction.

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
Old 09-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #16
RobJor

If you dislike Carl's you probably will not think much of this. I thought it was kind of neat and submitted it as 'creative' various places with no bites but made a decent Christmas card.

Michigan City of course. I got a really nice shot of sunset and remember Patch romping around on the beach but of course good memories do not a good photo make. Disclaimer: That is not a train station.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MichiganCity.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	759.5 KB
ID:	9661  
Old 09-19-2018, 02:07 PM   #17
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
With a million pounds rolling past the tripod a mere ten feet away, I am sure it moved a little. I liked the neon sign, which is not lit during the day, disliked the chain link fence, so I decided to incorporate a train blur that would minimize the fence by making your eyes focus on a different fore ground distraction.
I saw the chained link fence and the location of the blur and wondered if you planned it that way. Good execution of that and the rail spark is an added bonus. Nice shot, RP missed out on this one.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #18
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
I saw the chained link fence and the location of the blur and wondered if you planned it that way. Good execution of that and the rail spark is an added bonus. Nice shot, RP missed out on this one.
My first attempt I had the camera to high and the windows streak went right through the neon sign. In addition to the rail spark you can see the cantenary trace in the upper right corner. Electricity enters one corner of the image and exits at the diagonal corner. An added bonus like you say. Thanks!

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
Old 09-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #19
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
If you dislike Carl's you probably will not think much of this. I thought it was kind of neat and submitted it as 'creative' various places with no bites but made a decent Christmas card.

Michigan City of course. I got a really nice shot of sunset and remember Patch romping around on the beach but of course good memories do not a good photo make. Disclaimer: That is not a train station.

Bob
Thatís a cool shot. If the fire station gets decorated for Christmas maybe you can get a shot of that this winter. Definite possibility there IMO

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
Old 09-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #20
bigbassloyd

Quote:
If you dislike Carl's you probably will not think much of this.
Hasn't been a photo captured yet that pleased everyone.

Maybe I am just a curmudgeon when it comes to the dark. It's been my photography heart and soul for years, and as one of the original purveyors that elevated the genre here, I do not give it the ooh and aah surface level eyeball treatment.

Loyd L.

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 09-19-2018 at 03:16 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:14 PM   #21
miningcamper1

Quote:

Bob
I like that it shows the cars rather than just light streaks. The Christmas decorations are icing on the cake. I'd fave it if it was on RP.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:21 PM   #22
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Hasn't been a photo captured yet that pleased everyone.
It would be interesting if more sites showed the dislikes and downvotes!

Old 09-19-2018, 10:56 PM   #23
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
It would be interesting if more sites showed the dislikes and downvotes!
I agree. I think that may be a first for us on here lol.

Loyd L.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:20 PM   #24
MassArt Images

I will keep on working on my artistic panache. I have not yet reached the levels of other contributors.

Image © Mike Danneman
PhotoID: 671152
Photograph © Mike Danneman

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
Old 09-20-2018, 11:20 PM   #25
ATSF666

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
I will keep on working on my artistic panache. I have not yet reached the levels of other contributors.

Image © Mike Danneman
PhotoID: 671152
Photograph © Mike Danneman
Now that's a vote for people's choice or whatever it is called!

Last edited by ATSF666; 09-21-2018 at 05:04 AM.
ATSF666 is offline   Reply With Quote