Old 09-17-2019, 12:08 AM   #1
B7BBQ

Default Overexposed?

I uploaded this photo a while back, albeit it was a bit lighter then. The version I've linked to below has been darkened some, but I don't want it too dark because I want it to feel how the conditions really were when the photo was taken. It was a very heavy snowstorm and, snow being white, there's a lot of white in the image. I'm just curious if they're looking at any one particular thing here, or if it's just the image overall.

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...32&key=8988495
Old 09-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

It's definitely hot, but I think the lack of contrast is making the issue worse. You should revisit the editing process and give it a redo.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
Joseph Cermak

A cool shot for sure, but I know snow is tough to edit. I agree with Loyd on his suggestions above.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #4
Sean Mathews

That's going to be a tough one to edit with the amount of snow. It is indeed a very neat shot. I hope to see it make it in there...
Old 09-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
RobJor

Neat photo, not easy to pull off but not the composition usually accepted?
One early lesson I found is what we feel is the reality of the image and what will be accepted are often different.

1600/250th/F11 on Manual seems like an odd settings and the 112mm may have overdone the whiteout. Not sure what the original is like. Wonder what your meter read? I Usually take near the meter reading which is underexposed and then brighten up later but my success here is limited.

At any rate a 1600 ISO usually doesn't indicate the photographer felt the scene was bright?

Bob Jordan

Last edited by RobJor; 09-17-2019 at 02:18 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:22 PM   #6
B7BBQ

Welp, I brought in some true black and added a vignette, which seems to have satisfied the exposure issue, but now I'm getting composition too tight. I'm not arguing with that though, as I see where they're coming from. I don't completely agree, but I understand.

Final product:

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...04&key=7885066
Old 09-17-2019, 10:44 PM   #7
miningcamper1

Something like this, perhaps? I was undecided about reducing the blue of the snow, but I like it better with less blue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-12-09, NB, High Point, NC snowing 4 (2).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	9755  

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:39 AM   #8
RobJor

[quote=B7BBQ;195763]Welp, I brought in some true black and added a vignette, which seems to have satisfied the exposure issue, but now I'm getting composition too tight. I'm not arguing with that though, as I see where they're coming from. I don't completely agree, but I understand.

I am assuming you did not crop it? Of course it was always too tight, no track in front of the locomotive, not just after your corrected exposure. Including some snow covered track in front would be a plus. I suspect tho even if you have a wider view some other rejection would pop up.

Obviously the killer rejections should come first. There is whole banning thread, I suppose because multiple poor photos take up screeners time. My experience has been slow walking the rejection sequence takes more time. I realize they probably go down a checklist and the first thing to pop up gets noted. My latest and I think another one noted here was too dark and then cloudy skies. Think the cloudy sky should be first in the list. Cloudy sky, no way to change that, end of story, saves everyone time and frustration?

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote