Old 08-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #1
troy12n

Default I'm in Pittsburgh for a couple days, give me advice

I am in Pittsburgh for a few days, brought 1 camera body and a 28-105 lens. Won't have a whole lot of time, but will have Friday morning and evening, Saturday and Sunday 1-7pm and Monday morning free to maybe do some shooting. I will be in downtown at the convention center most of the time, I will have a rental car. I see a CSX, i'm guessing former B&O line runs right next to the convention center and the passenger station is nearby. NS (PRR) is on the other side of the river.

"places to avoid" would be good advice too. I don't want to get shanked or make a wrong turn into a kkk rally or ghetto

THanks in advance
Old 08-17-2017, 11:58 PM   #2
ShortlinesUSA

If you've never photographed it, the "trough" through the Allegheny Commons Park is certainly an enjoyable spot to spend some time. Not that far away from you, either.

If you want to check out the Wheeling & Lake Erie, Rook Yard in Green Tree is only about 10-15 minutes away IF traffic doesn't suck (which it often does). I wouldn't head over there on a Friday afternoon; I'll leave it at that.

I'm sure others will have more to add, but I wanted to throw a couple of easy ones out there for you based on what your schedule sounds like. If you don't know Pittsburgh very well, driving there can be a challenge. Even with locals leading us, statements such as "I know it's going to feel like we're driving in circles, because we are. But that's how you have to get there." were the norm. Chasing the Wheeling also led me to coin my slogan for the state: "Welcome to Pennsylvania. Road Closed." And it is construction season up there.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:21 AM   #3
troy12n

Thanks, Tom Granville also messaged me some tips. I had some time this afternoon to explore a little but it ended up raining. Friday and Saturday look pretty bad weather wise... will try Sunday or Monday.

My schedules also got changed around a little, so I might not have as much free time as I thought
Old 08-18-2017, 04:18 AM   #4
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I am in Pittsburgh for a few days, brought 1 camera body and a 28-105 lens. Won't have a whole lot of time, but will have Friday morning and evening, Saturday and Sunday 1-7pm and Monday morning free to maybe do some shooting. I will be in downtown at the convention center most of the time, I will have a rental car. I see a CSX, i'm guessing former B&O line runs right next to the convention center and the passenger station is nearby. NS (PRR) is on the other side of the river.

"places to avoid" would be good advice too. I don't want to get shanked or make a wrong turn into a kkk rally or ghetto

THanks in advance
For a future visit, you may want to find a copy of Pentrex's 'Pittsburgh Mainlines' for some ideas.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:15 PM   #5
troy12n

As it turned out, I ended up having about 5 hours on my last day there, Tom Granville gave me some pointers, and it turned out to be bad luck, I got 4 trains going in the wrong direction, none coming toward me, so I took a few shots, nothing really I am proud of, then it started raining so I went to the airport and came home.

I fought weather the ENTIRE time I was there. Lots of HARD rain, like blinding dounpours on most of the times that I had free, which was frustrating. But I wasn't there to railfan.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
jimktrains

I know it's a bit late now, but I have a website that details places in Western PA to railfan. It does lack locations north of Pittsburgh but I am hoping to remedy this.

www.swparails.com
jimktrains is offline   Reply With Quote