MTM9

The link doesn't work.
MTM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #27
Damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
This isn't a blog...
Noted. But yeah it kinda is. And I really dont care to turn my thread into some kind of a special olympics peeing contest so I'll strike the link to my rejects. Over 800 views and they aren't all mine so somebody besides me reads this. Thank You.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:23 PM   #28
BNSF_SD40-2B

Send a message via Yahoo to BNSF_SD40-2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged
Noted. But yeah it kinda is. And I really dont care to turn my thread into some kind of a special olympics peeing contest so I'll strike the link to my rejects. Over 800 views and they aren't all mine so somebody besides me reads this. Thank You.
Yeah thats right, you tell him whos boss!
Old 09-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #29
Damaged

Default XII Gift Shop closing?

Took a trunk load of scrap wood down to the firepit at the train park yesterday.The person who runs the Rochelle Railroad park gift shop, is packing it up to take a different job. Lots of empty display cases most of the consignment items were gone and the t-shirt stock was depleted. Not good.I think after this week its going back to the Tourism Bureaus control. I'm not sure what their plans are. Will keep you posted if I hear anything.
If you go down there bring your own H2O or soft drinks and snacks as the vending machines were also empty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rochelle083108 012.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	3360  

Last edited by Damaged; 09-20-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Damaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #30
BNSF_SD40-2B

Send a message via Yahoo to BNSF_SD40-2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged
Took a trunk load of scrap wood down to the firepit at the train park yesterday.The person who runs the Rochelle Railroad park gift shop, is packing it up to take a different job. Lots of empty display cases most of the consignment items were gone and the t-shirt stock was depleted. Not good.I think after this week its going back to the Tourism Bureaus control. I'm not sure what their plans are. Will keep you posted if I hear anything.
If you go down there bring your own H2O or soft drinks and snacks as the vending machines were also empty.
Yeah there was a big discussion about it on the Illinirail yahoo group. They just couldnt afford to run it anymore....at least thats the story
Old 09-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #31
Damaged

"Yeah there was a big discussion about it on the Illinirail yahoo group. They just couldnt afford to run it anymore....at least thats the story "

Sounds consistent with what Ive heard. It sounded like he was going to take a straight gig. Opening the hobby shop part had been a dream of his but its just not paying the bills.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #32
Damaged

This was posted on the train park website.

Due to the declining economy over the previous year, Rick Barnes has decided to close his gift shop business at the Rochelle Railroad Park. Rick was a great ambassador of the Rochelle Railroad Park and he will be missed. Plans are under way to have the gift shop open again some time between the middle and end of September.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:39 AM   #33
Damaged

Default Xiii

Took a mental health day at work and motored down to Rochelle today. An old friend of the family was making his yearly visit to my Mom's house so I brought him with. Its always fun to take someone there thats never been before. The sheer volume of trains alone amazes most people. Average amount of trains about 4 an hour.
Highlight was UP2001 and 2002 rolling through first thing after we got there.
Sign on the gift shop door stated it would be closed through September.
Pop machines were restocked.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rochelle 091508 r1002.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	3344  

Last edited by Damaged; 10-13-2008 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #34
Damaged

Default XIV Girls just wanna have fun

Website for the trainpark and giftshop has changed to "working to get someone in there in Oct". I didnt hear any other rumours when I was down there last weekend.

I went down to the train park about dusk last Saturday with my daughter,her 3 girlfriends,a trunk full of fire wood, and a sack full of stuff for S'mores. They had a blast!
They were running around taking pictures and climbing on the Whitcombs.When they saw how the moving cars blurred in the low light.They thought that was the coolest background for their My space pix. They are all such posers anyway.
Lots of action on both lines. The girls were in awe of the size and volume of the units rolling through. they got to see at least 10- 12 units in a little under 3 hours.
When I showed them how the UP train is outlined and detailed with reflective tape and decals and how it pops out when you hit it with the flash,well they thought that was pretty cool too. They ate S'mores & slammed Dr Pepper til I thought they were gonna be ill. They even turned off their cell phones and quit texting. We were the last ones at the park and left about 10:30

After months of them ridiculing me every time I asked them if they wanted to go they finally found out its not that bad. They want to go back again. I have retained my status as a cooler than average dad despite being a railhead. Below are some of their pix.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rochelle 092708 012.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	3400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rochelle 092708 015.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	3401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rochelle 092708 027.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	3402  

Last edited by Damaged; 10-06-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #35
Damaged

Default Xv

"Help wanted part-time apply at Rochelle tourism bureau." This was the sign hanging on the door at the gift shop this weekend. I hope they're getting closer to opening.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rochelle 101108.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	3416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rochelle 101108 016.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	3417  
Old 10-19-2008, 09:20 PM   #36
Damaged

Default Gift Shop open again

Added to the trainpark website this morning

"The Rochelle Railroad Park Gift Shop is once again open! We currently have various Railroad Park souvenirs, snacks, candy, sandwiches, ice cream, coffee and cocoa. We will continue to operate the ATCS Display, and will also feature free wireless internet access! The new phone number for the gift shop is 815-562-5939."
Old 11-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #37
Damaged

Default Gift Shop hours

Winter Hours
10-5 daily
Closed Tuesday.
NEW!!! Dispatcher broadcasts on 106.9FM at the park.

Haven't been down when the gift shop was open. I went down on a Tuesday a couple weeks ago. 3 out of the last 5 weekends I have been down for some Saturday night trains while my daughter and her friends roasted marshmallows for a couple hours.

Does anyone know what this vehicle does? It put down a light coat of oil on top of the rails after it passed. It looked like there is some kind of sensor or camera. Magna flux for cracks?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rochelle 102108 009.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	3472  

Last edited by Damaged; 11-02-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:51 AM   #38
Damaged

Default Xvi

As a gaggle of girls had taken over my basement Sunday morning, And I didn't feel like tiptoeing around the house til noon, I filled up the travel mug with coffee and motored over to Belvidere IL to check out the UP yard. Olympic units were there for the 4th weekend out of the last 5. Sometimes they're doing switching but this weekend they were just idling next to mixed frt. Rumour has it they're going to be repainted but I hope not. Took a couple shots but it was grey and overcast all weekend, nothing special everybodys seen gobs of pix before. CSX units visit there too but not this weekend.

Off to Rochelle about 8 am. After dumping off a half dozen bundles of scrapwood I sat in the car and warmed up while listening to the dispatch broadcast on the radio. Lots of chatter. Lots of UP action. Highlight for me was seeing a NS stacktrain on the BNSF trackage. Ive seen the NS running with the BNSF and UP but this was the first time that I'd seen horsies running solo through there. Hit the gift shop for more coffee. Not too much in there. Few magazines,books, somewhat limited T-shirt selection,misc souvenir stuff. Nothing I couldn't live without. At least its open and at least the coffees not too bad.50 cents a cup, a bargain.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	110908  003.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	3494  
Old 01-14-2009, 01:52 AM   #39
Damaged

Default 2009

I've only been to Rochelle once since the last posting. Due to unfortunate incidents,the holidays,working overtime,3 1/2 feet of snow,sub zero wind chills,and working on a HO layout. It just hasn't worked out. I'll watch them on the webcam instead for now.

The one morning I did motor down ws early a.m. on a Sunday.Drank my thermos of coffee was out in 2 hours with only catching a West bound UP. Lots of chatter on the radio though so they were getting ready to blow a few through.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #40
Damaged

Default 2009 March 1

Posted on the Trainpark website:

Events
Rochelle Railroad Days
Rochelle Railroad Park
June 5, 6 & 7, 2009
More information coming soon!
For more 2009 Rochelle events visit
www.rochelletourism.com

hopefully they'll do the tours of the intermodal yard again.

Last edited by Damaged; 06-05-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #41
Damaged

Default XVII Good Friday

Good Friday. Very busy late morning/early afternoon at the Diamond. A dozen trains in an hour and a half then we quit counting. Second train we saw there was the SLC Torch units. Kinda cool to see them running,they've spent a lot of the weekends over the winter sitting in Belvidere yard. Extremely overcast and windy all day. 50 degrees felt like 35.
UP and BNSF were both moving heavy with both lines having to wait for clearance constantly. Almost all the UP intermodals were using pushers on the rear. Constant chatter on the dispatch monitor 106.9 FM at the park. Free wifi at the trainpark now too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of Rochelle 041009 148.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	4009  

Last edited by Damaged; 04-12-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #42
Damaged

Default Rochelle Railroad Days

UP 1995 and a new 7400 series will be on Display this weekend at Rochelle. If the weather cooperates I'll be there.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:13 AM   #43
Damaged

Thumbs up XVIII Rochelle Railroad Days 2009

Well not only was The Chicago NW unit on display in Rochelle, so were the Western Pacific, Missouri Pacific,and the Southern Pacific heritage units. Thanks to UP regional man. Rod Richardson at Proviso yard for taking the heat on parking these units in Rochelle this weekend. Gobs of free Operation Lifesaver swag for the kids, pens, pencils, pencil cases, key chains, whistles.
Very good show by the UP folks. BNSF had only a couple of sad faded local hoggers on their siding. Maybe they didn't get the memo?
If only the weather had cooperated a little better. It was starting to clear as I was leaving but I had already "wasted" a couple hours waiting on clouds and needed to head back.
A couple of speedsters and team cars were also on hand. And a train for the kids. Hobos and guitars in the shelter house.

Last edited by Damaged; 06-15-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:36 PM   #44
Damaged

Default Railroad Relics joins gift shop

Railroad Relics joins the gift shop selling items such as timetables,engineer data books,dining car china,books,model train, and logoed items.
Railroad Relics is owned by Larry and Sue Bunce of Brooklyn Wi.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:31 PM   #45
tomt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged View Post
the SLC Torch units. .
quite a paint job on those -

thanks ...

Last edited by tomt; 06-16-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: 2748
tomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:48 AM   #46
Damaged

Default Fall 2009

Good day at the trainpark this morning. Sometimes the "slow" days are just as fun as when the trafficis heavy if you have good people to talk to.
The N scalers were out in full force and I got to meet the owner of the layout that was the covershot of Nov 2008 issue of Model Railroader. An N scale version of the Rochelle Diamonds.

Also present was The Spirit of the Conrailer Doug Woodard who is featured in this pic with Conrailcolored pick up. He didnt have this truck this weekend as he was layed over waiting on his over the road hours to roll again.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=298038