Old 06-30-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Gear

Default Some Pictures of Mine

Here are some shots I've taken recently. These aren't railroad related, though I thought I'd share them on the OD board.

Nothing professional, but they weren't intended to be.

"Boxes"

A Warhol-esque picture of my pooch, Shyanne, I shopped

"Cup of Joe"

"Sadie"

Feel free to give advice, comments, or nothing at all.
Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
JRMDC

Gear, having read your original post and now this, I am not sure if your expectations match up here. RP is about rail photography. One only occasionally sees significant discussions of non-photo rail topics (look in the US and International forums) and even those are sporadic. One doesn't generally see discussions of non-rail photography. It is a pretty narrow focus here, with the occasional deviation.

So I wonder if your interests would be better served in a general photography forum, maybe fredmiranda. Maybe even certain forums in DPreview. Probably bunches of others; I am not familiar with the range of photography forums on the 'net. And maybe some general discussion rail forums.

Now, given that, a forum becomes what its participants make of it. Up to you what you do and up to others what they do. I'm not policing, I am just pointing out, in a friendly way I hope, something you may not have figured out yet.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Do you want constructive criticism on those photos?
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
One doesn't generally see discussions of non-rail photography. It is a pretty narrow focus here, with the occasional deviation.
Oh, I've misunderstood. I was under the assumption that non-rail associated photos could be put up on Open Discussion board (after all, it is "off topic"). No worries, and no offense taken. I do intend on getting some railroad pictures up at some point (where I now live, it's a bit more of an excursion than it used to be in my old home town).

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40
Do you want constructive criticism on those photos?
Well, that is how one builds.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear View Post
Oh, I've misunderstood. I was under the assumption that non-rail associated photos could be put up on Open Discussion board (after all, it is "off topic"). No worries, and no offense taken. I do intend on getting some railroad pictures up at some point (where I now live, it's a bit more of an excursion than it used to be in my old home town).
I'd say you haven't misunderstood, rather you have misread. I didn't say anything about what you can or can't do. I've only said something about what might transpire, and what other options are to get what you might be looking for. I was sharing experience. Make whatever posts you want.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:16 AM   #6
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear View Post

Well, that is how one builds.
I'm always happy to give a good critiquing if someone asks. though I might come across as a bit harsh...
Your first picture isn't overly interesting subject or composition wise, it's too top heavy to start out with. It's also pretty blurry. Good idea trying to get an interesting angle on it, though.
Second and third are overdone to the point where you can't tell what it's a photo of.
Third...it's a grainy cat.
Anyways, GET OUT AND SHOOT! You need to take pictures of interesting things
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40
I'm always happy to give a good critiquing if someone asks. though I might come across as a bit harsh...
'Constructive criticism', what I think of--among other things--as 'critiquing', has yet to offend me as there's a difference between it and a deliberate insult.

Okay, unconventional around this forum, but here are a few more...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Station (1).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	4417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clouds.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	4418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Behind the Wire.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	4419  

Last edited by Gear; 07-17-2009 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Correcting awkward picture... stuff
Old 07-17-2009, 12:47 AM   #8
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

I like 1 and 3. 2 doesn't do much for me.

Criticising:
1-Oops, cut the top of the gas pump.

2-see above

3-I like it, but the tilt is odd.

4-PLEASE use smaller photos or use the RP attachment option. I agree with Jim T. that having to pan the screen to see your whole photo(s) is a PITA.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:19 AM   #9
Gear

Thanks, for the positive and negative.

I feel the same about #2. I like the colors and dimensions of the clouds, but there isn't much of a hook to it. I liked it enough to post it, but I did so mostly to add some variation from my (so far) all B&W collection.

#1 wasn't cropped, that happened 'in the field'. Though it doesn't bother me, plus you get more of the weeds sprouting up from the abandoned shop drive.

After I saw #3, I uselessly debated with myself whether or not I should've leveled the shot a little more but not too much or else it would've been boring. I like the different angles it has, especially with the wires.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Gear, having read your original post and now this, I am not sure if your expectations match up here. RP is about rail photography. One only occasionally sees significant discussions of non-photo rail topics (look in the US and International forums) and even those are sporadic. One doesn't generally see discussions of non-rail photography. It is a pretty narrow focus here, with the occasional deviation.

So I wonder if your interests would be better served in a general photography forum, maybe fredmiranda. Maybe even certain forums in DPreview. Probably bunches of others; I am not familiar with the range of photography forums on the 'net. And maybe some general discussion rail forums.

Now, given that, a forum becomes what its participants make of it. Up to you what you do and up to others what they do. I'm not policing, I am just pointing out, in a friendly way I hope, something you may not have figured out yet.
(mandatory 10 character minimum)
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:37 PM   #11
Gear

"What else could I say? All my words are ghey"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	4660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spider.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	4661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kermit Cobain.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	4662  
Old 10-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
chuckman

Best of luck getting some railroad photos! Also some advice regarding photogrphy of plants-shoot them backlit so detail casts interesting shadows. this is how all of my best flower pics come out! Good photos...the one with the tele wires and the sky kinda bugs me though...a step would be to get rid of the stuff in the bottom of the picture and do a B+W conversion. I must say though that if you want real advice a forum for railroad photographers isn't the best place but I hope that you won't be continually hounded about this with all that has been said.

My photos on flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53728467@N08/
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote