Old 04-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Default need opinions

Bad crop. Whattaya think? In, out, right, left?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1178687147
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

I would remove some off the top. Looks pretty dead up there.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
coborn35

Wish he was facing us.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Wish he was facing us.
This isn't a Day With Thomas snapshot of Junior with a cheesy grin on his face waving to the camera. It is a real life "reenactment" photo mentioned from the other thread. I like it as-is as far as that goes.

As far as the cropping Rob, you have the left 9/10 of the pic (with exception to the conductor) decently lit with the side of the train, the over head lights, and the support structures on the right. Then you get to the right edge and you have the only thing that is "back lit" peeking in on the frame stealing the conductor's spot light. Get rid of that and come down from the top no farther than the top of the car door, and I think you are good to go. You may want to bump the contrast a little more too and see how it looks.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
wds

BTW, Re; your caption. Breaks = times for coffee, or a smoke if you're so inclined. Brakes = things that arrest motion &/or hold things in place (unless you're talking sheet metal brakes which are things to bend sheet metal). Or maybe he's checking to see if somebody's taking their coffee break under there?

Last edited by wds; 04-14-2011 at 08:54 PM.
wds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Good points all three of you. I will make those changes. If that doesn't fly no big deal. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
This isn't a Day With Thomas snapshot of Junior with a cheesy grin on his face waving to the camera. It is a real life "reenactment" photo mentioned from the other thread. I like it as-is as far as that goes.
Cool I could care less. I personally wish he had been facing us, as is it is just a nameless backside.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:19 AM   #8
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

I think the issue is the cut off post on the right.

I would do one of two things:

(1) Crop off the edge of the post so that the frame ends on the second post that is lit.

(2) Use the clone tool to extend the surface of the second post over the cut off one in the foreground.

That would maintain the dimensions of the image.

I like the shot and the fat that it is B&W.

But the cut off post on the right is distracting.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:49 AM   #9
mark woody

How's this bit off top and right still ok size wise. Is it a bit tight on the right?

Last edited by mark woody; 05-27-2014 at 10:50 AM.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

The cropping is good IMO, but your blacks in the trucks still look dark grey. It didn't take much of a bump in contrast for this (from your rejection, not your re-edit):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8184.1302747820b.jpg (282.4 KB, 79 views)
Old 04-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

I'm with coburn; namelss, faceless backside = boring. At least with the namelss, faceless backside of photogs that are on RP, more times than not, we see what they are shooting. Here it's some guy from the back and the side of some car somewhere. There's no scene. Nice DOF.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #12
barnstormer

Send a message via Skype™ to barnstormer

I agree with Joe on this one. I like the idea but I would far rather him be facing us. I also like the dop, I think it really adds to the picture.

I think you should try to re shoot the shot and some make it with him facing you. ( I don't know why I just told you to re shoot because I hate when people tell me that on here)

See my shots on Railpictures
See my shots on RRpicturearchives
barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
IHapsias

If he was looking at you, or looking at his train, you might have had a real winner. I like the shot as it is though.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #14
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'm with coburn; namelss, faceless backside = boring. At least with the namelss, faceless backside of photogs that are on RP, more times than not, we see what they are shooting. Here it's some guy from the back and the side of some car somewhere. There's no scene. Nice DOF.
I disagree.

That would be true if the conductor were the intended subject of the image.

Here he is just part of the whole scene, and therefore it is actually better that he is not looking at us since people will tend to look at other people's faces because that is how we communicate as humans.

I think it would be better to have a little more right side of the photo that is lit up to contrast the dark of the conductor.

That is why I suggested the clone tool.

You do need to lighten up the dark area on his back.

It is better, but not quite there yet.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #15
Joe the Photog

I appreciate all the opinions and I hope Hatchetman does, too, but I don't get how he is just part of the whole scene. His back is turned toward us so that we can't see what he is doing. He get a little lost in the background clutter on the right side of the frame and the train cars aren't prevalent enough, seen from the side, to be another part of the scene.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #16
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I appreciate all the opinions and I hope Hatchetman does, too, but I don't get how he is just part of the whole scene.
Yes, and that is what my point is.

You and I see two different scenes and that is totally alright and I am not trying to change your mind.

That is the great part about art, it is allowed to be different to each viewer.

There is no "right way" to see it.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #17
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Appreciate the thoughts on this. I've been out of town for a few days. I submitted another version that had a little of his face. Was PEQ'd. I'll keep working on these conductor in action photos. Difficult. Most people don't like to be photographed by strangers while working. I'm not about to stop the guy and say, "hey can you turn around so I can get a better shot?"

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1291721335
Old 04-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #18
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
Appreciate the thoughts on this. I've been out of town for a few days. I submitted another version that had a little of his face. Was PEQ'd. I'll keep working on these conductor in action photos. Difficult. Most people don't like to be photographed by strangers while working. I'm not about to stop the guy and say, "hey can you turn around so I can get a better shot?"

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1291721335
Looks underexposed to me.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #19
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Now that you mention it, it does look a little underexposed. I don't have a good eye for contrast, exposure, color, all the technical details. Not good for an aspiring photographer!