Old 11-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #26
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Loup Creek Falls, between Thurmond and Mt. Hope.
Yep. It was a cloudy, rainy day, so I took some pictures of the area between Glen Jean and Thurmond, which is very picturesque for those of you who have not been there. A former C&O branch runs right along a windy road right next to a creek on the way to Thurmond.

I missed one of the Corman operated shifter runs by about 20 minutes too. Nothing moving on the mainline, so I ran up to Claremont, and on my way back, I hear RJC calling the HK (or whatever it is) dispatcher asking to line them up out of the "Loup Creek Industrial Track"...

I get back to Thurmond (it's raining by then), take a couple "not for RP" shots, and watch them pull out onto the mainline. I guess they leave the train in the siding at Rush Run for CSX to pick up later. I take it they have a crew come on duty at either Hinton or Quinnimont and PTI takes them up there.

At any rate, it's the first time I have ever seen any activity on the branch.

Last edited by troy12n; 11-10-2011 at 07:59 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #27
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I hadn't even thought of that. But now that you mention it....
That's pretty much right out of the camera. I just added a little sharpening and saturation, I didnt bother to check for leveling.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #28
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
I'm glad we have you here to narrate.

Chase
You wish you had my mad informational skills...

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #29
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
You wish you had my mad informational skills...

Loyd L.
I sure do. It's truly a gift.. I envy you.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #30
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
That's pretty much right out of the camera. I just added a little sharpening and saturation, I didnt bother to check for leveling.
It looks fine, I was just having a little fun (and it looks like it could be a road anyway). Great job with the exposure.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #31
Mgoldman

I'll chime in and pretty much confirm all that was said.

Either way, zoom out as the subject approaches or zoom in as the subject departs. Obviously, for the effect to work best, any sign of a going away zoom should be best avoided - backwards plumes and engineers looking the wrong way for instance.

In practice, the effect is easier to capture further away but looks best when captured right in front of your face.

Multiple exposures increase your odds.

Nice shot, '2. I thought I had seen you at the Bel-Del. This must have been what Chris was referring to when he said "did you show Mitch?", lol. Glad I got to see it. Crispy!

Odds of success - I'd say closer to 60% for acceptable zoom pans but more like 5% for the perfect pan where all parts of the train are sharp vrs just the nose or even just a part of the nose. Be prepared to walk away with nothing - it's like doubling down in Black Jack when your face card is only a "9", lol.

I use an 8X ND filter by B&W. It was pricey and I'd be willing to bet identical to a Tiffen or lower priced lens. Maybe better - my filter fell out of it's ring once and froze onto my lens another time. Panning would be a lot easier if Canon /Nikon would work on lower ISO's in the neighborhood of ISO 50, 25 or even less.

I wouldn't take Troy's advice on practicing on passing cars unless you enjoy freeking people out and explaining things to law enforcement. Most folks are not too keen on having their photos taken. As for gimicky - like the HDR you applaud, it's only gimicky when the effect is less then perfect. A slow moving subject panned to such an extreme fits the bill as gimicky, I'll grant you that - and that is reflected in my caption. While not perfectly sharp throughout, I thought the effect captured at 1/5th still made for a "fun" photo worth sharing.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #32
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Thanks for the input. This one is one of my favorites:
Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 356159
Photograph © Mitch Goldman

An 8X NDF is some serious darkness!
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote