Old 03-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
NS_GP60

Default A Tribute to Railfans

I made this video for my freinds mostly. I railfan a lot with my girlfreind and my buddy Jack. They loved it, so i'll show you. I kind of made it with the point of veiw, as that nothing is gonna last for ever. What you see on your way to work this morning wont be the same in a few years. Types of trains, and locomotivs will always be changing. This video is kindof made like an old movie would have looked, except instead of old F-Units and GP7s its new modern power that people like to "dis" on and make fun of.
p.s: All pictures and videos where taken personally by me, or using my camera equipment. Thank you all, Happy Railfanning, be safe.

Last edited by NS_GP60; 03-10-2007 at 02:58 PM.
NS_GP60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Excellent! Thanks for sharing. Full of emotion and very well put together, nice work. The old fashion style is a great to express the point that today's power, equipment, scenes will one day be history too.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

A few things that are going to sound rough, but I barely got through a minute of this because there was no tripod used and some fo the cuts were at very odd places like a second after the lead engine got into frame. Also there was nat sound under some of the video, but not all of it. Lastly, all of the shots were medium shots, nothing close and nothng far away.

But the biggest gripe of all is the lack of a tripod. Your video will improve by one hundred percent if you buy even the cheapest one out there.

Joe
Old 03-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Mgoldman

I found it quite enjoyable - I'm hoping all the "problems" were intentional otherwise I'd agree with Joe. If the shaking, odd scene cuts and jitteryness of the video was not intentional, please don't tell me, as it had the feel of "look at this 30 year old 8 mm film I found in the attic" which is a fantastic juxtaposition of mondern power with old school cinematography.

/Mitch

(Anyone remember that Gilligan's Island episode?)
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:34 AM   #5
NS_GP60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
A few things that are going to sound rough, but I barely got through a minute of this because there was no tripod used and some fo the cuts were at very odd places like a second after the lead engine got into frame. Also there was nat sound under some of the video, but not all of it. Lastly, all of the shots were medium shots, nothing close and nothng far away.

But the biggest gripe of all is the lack of a tripod. Your video will improve by one hundred percent if you buy even the cheapest one out there.

Joe
I use a tripod, but these were being shot using a diffrent camera, and i didn't use a tripod. But i like it, and the movment really didn't bother me. Most of the time, i was video taping and using my digital camera at the same time, and i was recording vid on my digital too, which is the footage i used in this video. I have my reasons for using two separate camcorders. But everybody else liked it. so thank you.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:27 AM   #6
Studogg120

Great video man!!!
Studogg120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
Joe the Photog

My sarcastic a-hole nature would lead me to ask how many of the folks who commented works in, I don't know, TV news or something.

Joe
Old 03-12-2007, 10:29 PM   #8
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
My sarcastic a-hole nature would lead me to ask how many of the folks who commented works in, I don't know, TV news or something.

Joe
Not me thats why I liked it.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:53 PM   #9
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Not me thats why I liked it.

Joe
Old 03-15-2007, 03:52 AM   #10
Studogg120

Quote:

Joe
I make news stories for my school on CC tv. Actual news stories with b-roll, V/O, stuff like that. That might kinda' count. I've been doing it for two years.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:47 AM   #11
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Very nice video. Two questions:

First, where were these videos taken? Looks like a railfan spot I need to be hitting up sometime!

Second, can I post links to this video on other forums? I'm sure there are many who'd like to see it.
ken45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:20 AM   #12
Studogg120

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken45

Second, can I post links to this video on other forums? I'm sure there are many who'd like to see it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l-OnbnQRoM
Old 03-17-2007, 08:35 PM   #13
JRMDC

Quote:

Joe
Not me, but I didn't care for it much. Video equivalent of wedgie shots, with bad video technique. I have no emotional connection to the "old fashioned style," I guess, to me it's just a bunch of trains going by. To me old does not equal authentic or emotive or whatever others attribute to things that are in an older style just because they are in an older style. Nice music - at least the first 30 seconds or so which is what I watched.

One person's opinion, obviously others like it a lot. If you enjoy it and so do others, keep it up, don't pay any attention to me!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:53 AM   #14
jdirelan87

I didn't care for it either. Its just like the 10,000 other poorly done railfanning videos on youtube. Clicking a button on your video editing program to convert it into that old style doesn't cover up serious flaws of no tripod and boring angles.

Sorry if I come across strong, but if you really want to produce a good product you really need to address your flaws now. Remember I'm just trying to help.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:31 PM   #15
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87
Sorry if I come across strong, but if you really want to produce a good product you really need to address your flaws now. Remember I'm just trying to help.
Now John, let's hope the result insn't the same as the last jr member you tried "helping". Just to quickly let others that don't know, he replied to a post and got a very rude response with some trash wording and the end result was a banned member, deservedly so I might ad. I just chuckled and got the sense of what you were thinking when you put "Remember I'm just trying to help."

NS, Nice effort on the video and like the path through life, be willing to learn from the good and the bad and you'll be a be way ahead of the crowd in the end.

Rich Clark
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:53 PM   #16
bigiron

Oops, it loaded twice on me.

Rich Clark

Last edited by bigiron; 03-21-2007 at 12:57 PM.
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #17
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron
Now John, let's hope the result insn't the same as the last jr member you tried "helping".
Ugh, what more can I say about that little episode. But what choice did I have Rich, he was tarnishing the good name of my beloved Riverline!
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #18
NS_GP60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken45
Very nice video. Two questions:

First, where were these videos taken? Looks like a railfan spot I need to be hitting up sometime!

I took it in Romulus, MI. In my opinion the best place to veiw railroad traffic. However, the scenery is less than desirable. But a nice, railfan freindly town, in Eastern Detroit. Next to the Airport.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:31 AM   #19
Tåg

I really dug it, it reminded me of something shot on 8mm or super 8.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:46 AM   #20
WisconsinCentral

Thumbs up

I have to say, I really liked it! I thought the jittery views were neat, not sure if it would have that neat aspect if everything were perfect. I can really echo your comments that nothing lasts as long as you want, or it leaves before you really got to enjoy it. Savor every neat lashup you get, and the time you spend with your friends in the cold, in the rain, or in perfect sunshine.

Alec
WisconsinCentral is offline   Reply With Quote