Old 01-13-2015, 04:03 AM   #76
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Does it bother you when you see a photo hanging unlevel on a wall? I mean, people have been hanging pictures since the invention of the camera. I'm sure there were "old film guys" like you decades ago that were bothered by an unlevel hanging picture as much as an unlevel photograph.

Now it's unlevel in the other direction!
I can't see .00000000001 off level! Chill Jim! It's not that important!

(Yes I do straighten obviously off level pictures. But not ones I cannot see!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:45 AM   #77
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I can't see .00000000001 off level! Chill Jim! It's not that important!
You poor sap. I can see .0000000000000000000000001 unlevel with my eyes closed!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:55 AM   #78
Firefighter1019

My biggest problem is screeners wasting my time and theirs dilly dallying around with rejections. Nitpicking on sharpness or unlevel then throwing out a poor comp or some other major rejection. Obviously the screeners cant on agree on a set of standard set of guidelines it seems. If one screener nails an image on lets say undersharpen then the next time around its a comp issue, it would appear someones not doing their job properly. Something like a comp problem should be know immediately to any person who is qualified for screening and should be the first rejection. Its seems RP is several screeners each with different taste and its just the luck of the draw when we submit our photos.

My Other Pics
Firefighter1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:13 AM   #79
Firefighter1019

One more suggestion I have is with the ever changing quality with computers and monitors why does RP still use such low image size? IE 1200 by 800? Seems so much detail is lost when resizing photos to such small pixels. RP prides itself on The Best Railroad Photos on the Net, yet having such small pixels images uploaded doesn't do most people photography justice. Often Ive seen my images and others turn to crap after resizing. Seeing my same images on Flickr and RP the quality is so much better on flickr. And I know the Fr word is a no no but if RP really wants to improve the quality of its pictures I think it really needs to change its pixel upload size and fill up these 1920/1440 modern monitors.

Just my two cents

My Other Pics
Old 01-14-2015, 04:19 AM   #80
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter1019 View Post
My biggest problem is screeners wasting my time and theirs dilly dallying around with rejections. Nitpicking on sharpness or unlevel then throwing out a poor comp or some other major rejection. Obviously the screeners cant on agree on a set of standard set of guidelines it seems. If one screener nails an image on lets say undersharpen then the next time around its a comp issue, it would appear someones not doing their job properly. Something like a comp problem should be know immediately to any person who is qualified for screening and should be the first rejection. Its seems RP is several screeners each with different taste and its just the luck of the draw when we submit our photos.
It's an old complaint, made over and over. If management had any intention of changing this practice, they could simply stop doing it. Nothing complicated about it.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:40 PM   #81
coborn35

Screeners post on forums, acting as if they really want members input and change. Members give opinions of what could improve the site. Screeners disappear and are never heard from again. Stop me if you've heard this one before.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG

Last edited by coborn35; 01-15-2015 at 06:00 AM.
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #82
Firefighter1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Screeners post of forums, acting as if they really want members input and change. Members give opinions of what could improve the site. Screeners disappear and are never heard from again. Stop me if you've heard this one before.
HAHA.. They must be to busy secretly checking out Flickr photos to respond.

My Other Pics
Old 01-14-2015, 04:11 PM   #83
JRMDC

Quote:
Screeners post of forums, acting as if they really want members input and change. Members give opinions of what could improve the site. Screeners disappear and are never heard from again. Stop me if you've heard this one before.
Stop!

STOP!!!!

Control yourself!

Cease and desist!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #84
KevinM

Quote:
One more suggestion I have is with the ever changing quality with computers and monitors why does RP still use such low image size? IE 1200 by 800? Seems so much detail is lost when resizing photos to such small pixels. RP prides itself on The Best Railroad Photos on the Net, yet having such small pixels images uploaded doesn't do most people photography justice. Often Ive seen my images and others turn to crap after resizing. Seeing my same images on Flickr and RP the quality is so much better on flickr. And I know the Fr word is a no no but if RP really wants to improve the quality of its pictures I think it really needs to change its pixel upload size and fill up these 1920/1440 modern monitors.

Just my two cents
Just my two cents, but I wouldn't want to post higher-resolution images here or anywhere else....and I suspect that I am not alone.

Why? Well, because unfortunately, people regularly steal images off RP and other similar photography sites. The copyright law is a joke, because there are no copyright police that you can call when you see a violation. Instead you've got to hire a lawyer and go after the culprits yourself....at great personal expense. That's an option if you're a wealthy, famous photographer. Not so much for those of us who are just serious hobbyists.

The great thing about a 1024 x 683 image is that looks reasonable on a PC screen, but it doesn't meet the standards for most commercial applications.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 01-14-2015 at 05:34 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #85
bigbassloyd

The online world is not worthy of my full size files.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:28 AM   #86
PLEzero

Quote:
BINGO!!!

Status quo. There is already plenty of commentary on the forums from the past several years out there. No sense in replying to this topic if it's a 'one and done' post for the admins. RPN became stale about three years ago. I prefer the Flickr community, layout, and options much more.
My RP.net Photos

Last edited by PLEzero; 01-15-2015 at 04:32 AM.
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:51 PM   #87
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Obviously the screeners cant on agree on a set of standard set of guidelines it seems. If one screener nails an image on lets say undersharpen then the next time around its a comp issue, it would appear someones not doing their job properly. Something like a comp problem should be know immediately to any person

This is the heart of viewing photography in general. It's art, so it's inherently subjective. You are asking for objectivity, but since there are no hard measurements, it can't be done. This is further complicated by having two "schools" of thought regarding foamer photography. The first is a railfan who has a camera. To him, a shot of a "rare" engine is cool. The second is a photographer who happens to like trains. He would never understand why someone took a mundane shot of a "rare" engine, just as the other guy would never understand why the 2nd guy would take a photo of the train deliberately blurry. Levelness you can check, "good" composition not so much.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:28 PM   #88
Mr. Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
This is the heart of viewing photography in general. It's art, so it's inherently subjective. You are asking for objectivity, but since there are no hard measurements, it can't be done. This is further complicated by having two "schools" of thought regarding foamer photography. The first is a railfan who has a camera. To him, a shot of a "rare" engine is cool. The second is a photographer who happens to like trains. He would never understand why someone took a mundane shot of a "rare" engine, just as the other guy would never understand why the 2nd guy would take a photo of the train deliberately blurry. Levelness you can check, "good" composition not so much.

Kent in SD
That's about sums it up.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:48 PM   #89
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

I like the suggestions on clearly defined policies, and I've been a fan of the "terminal rejection" idea for a long time, if a photo will never make it, reject it for an uncorrectable reason and be done.

I think one thing RP could develop would be railfan trips or tours. This is a very reputable website, and as such, railroads and commuter agencies might be open to allowing photoshoots. Maybe include some perks like special access to rail yards, or permission to use tripods in places like Jamaica Station, or increased tolerance from the police, or even just a group of people to go into more dangerious areas.

I'd even be willing to pay for it.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:05 AM   #90
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
I think one thing RP could develop would be railfan trips or tours. This is a very reputable website, and as such, railroads and commuter agencies might be open to allowing photoshoots. Maybe include some perks like special access to rail yards, or permission to use tripods in places like Jamaica Station, or increased tolerance from the police, or even just a group of people to go into more dangerious areas.

Buy me lunch and I'll haul you all around the Dakotas. Don't worry--there are virtually no police to hassle you. In fact, there's virtually no one around period. Just cows. Dress warmly.

Kent in SD
Old 01-16-2015, 02:32 AM   #91
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
I like the suggestions on clearly defined policies, and I've been a fan of the "terminal rejection" idea for a long time, if a photo will never make it, reject it for an uncorrectable reason and be done.

Clearly defined policies are a bit intolerant - guidelines are more prudent. On the other hand, one clearly defined policy that would make sense and I'd love to see would be - if your image is rejected but you can link an image submitted in the past (say, year, or even 90 days), then that accepted image if similar in faults (and merit), should set a precedent. I mean, really - IF IT WAS RECENTLY ACCEPTABLE, how could it no longer be acceptable in such a short span of time? Feels personal to many at that point. Or, if not personal, then the oft stated issue of inconsistency pops up. Does admin enjoy being seen in that light?

As for terminal rejections - I agree. I disagree that every screener sitting in front of a queue of 60 photos or so should have to note every flaw on every image rejected. I feel one rejection - the main issue as seen at the time of screening is all that is necessary to note. You get your rejection, you fix it, you get back in line. Unfortunately, it seems to be a big issue with a large majority so a resolution seems merited. How about resubmitted shots go into a separate queue belonging the original screener? Or, screw it, deal with it, but in comments from the screener, show some courtesy.

RP charters? Not a bad idea, but as a crew member working with Lerro Productions, I'd be willing to bet there are few, let alone admin, willing to take the task. It's a lot of work, a lot of travel. A lot of hassles. The reward is there, of course, but there is a reason so few run such charters. I'm glad you'd be willing to pay for it, lol! Hey, Matt (do you frequent the Forums?), how about an Acela night charter, eh? Loyd - an NS charter at night in O'Winston Link territory? David - a tour of train droppings? ; )

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:25 AM   #92
bigbassloyd

I'm free to hire for anyone visiting WV / VA. I only request the person be able to hike long distances, and be ready for anything.

Loyd L.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:12 AM   #93
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I'm free to hire for anyone visiting WV / VA. I only request the person be able to hike long distances, and be ready for anything.

Loyd L.

I might meet the qualifications. I hunt from sun up to sun down during antelope and elk season. As for being ready, in my RAV4 I have a down-sleeping bag, dried food, snow shovel, tool kit, three Maglite flashlights, water filter, barn boots, bow saw, pup tent, tarp, 30 ft. tow rope, 100 ft. 1/4" nylon rope, duct tape, and an automatic rifle with 100 rounds .223 ammo in 4 magazines. Add a 20 ga. shotgun during bird season with a box of #5 birdshot.

Kent in SD
Old 01-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #94
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

Clearly defined policies I meant about admin stuff, like if you loose your uploads, how do you get them back? Stuff like that.

I don't expect screeners to note every reason, I just think if you have a reason that is fixable, and a reason that is unfixable, they should be required to give the non-fixable reason.

For tours and stuff, I was thinking more stuff where you do get hassled you know, like tripods in Jamacia or maybe access to Fresh Pond yard, stuff you normally get read your rights if you visit
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #95
MassArt Images

Quote:

Loyd L.
I want to make a reservation for me and two other friends. What does your calendar look like for October?

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:25 PM   #96
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:

Loyd L.
And remember folks, Loyd doesn't have to outrun the bear... he just has to outrun YOU...

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:04 AM   #97
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17 View Post
And remember folks, Loyd doesn't have to outrun the bear... he just has to outrun YOU...
If he's with the fellow who has the arsenal in his Jeep, I suspect it's the bear who's going to be doing the running....

A .223 and 100 rounds of ammo.....yikes!.....things are clearly a little wilder in South Dakota than they are here in New England.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:58 AM   #98
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
I want to make a reservation for me and two other friends. What does your calendar look like for October?
October is my busiest month, so probably not great.

Loyd L.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:59 AM   #99
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17 View Post
Running is only an option when I'm out of ammo. In other words, I never run.

Loyd L.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:13 AM   #100
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
If he's with the fellow who has the arsenal in his Jeep, I suspect it's the bear who's going to be doing the running....

A .223 and 100 rounds of ammo.....yikes!.....things are clearly a little wilder in South Dakota than they are here in New England.

A hundred rounds doesn't last very long. (Select fire is legal in South Dakota.)

Kent in SD