Old 01-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #26
Amtrakdavis22

After seeing everyone posting about "their favorites" on TrainOrders, I was going to come over here and start the thread. But it does not look like that was needed. Anyways, here are my top 10 of 2012.

10- Normally I wouldn't put a partially backlit shot from a yard in my top 10, but with special access to the middle of the UP J.R. Davis Yard I was able to shoot this rotary rebuild repo as it prepared to leave for Iowa.
Image © Jake Miille
PhotoID: 392755
Photograph © Jake Miille

9- The reason I like this next shot is there is so much history in it. The West Valley Subdivision is almost stuck in time. The line looks very similar to when Southern Pacific owned it, but now all you can see are a couple California Northern locals working it on weekdays.
Image © Jake Miille
PhotoID: 414722
Photograph © Jake Miille

8- The Western Pacific Railroad Museum train comes rolling up the old WP mainline north of Sacramento, CA. Interesting train with UP 1996, UP 6936, and WP 2001 and also in a location that can be hard to shoot.
Image © Jake Miille
PhotoID: 400556
Photograph © Jake Miille

7- The Coast Line doesn't see much freight and I'm not down there too often. An unlikely short trip timed perfectly with the oil cans being tied down in SLO allowed me to get this shot. Notice both Madonna and Bishops Peak in the background. Also was nice UP decided to put three clean SD70ACes on the point
Image © Jake Miille
PhotoID: 400917
Photograph © Jake Miille

6- Here's a shot I envisioned for a long time just needed the right light, a train, and my new 10-22mm.
Image © Jake Miille
PhotoID: 407921
Photograph © Jake Miille

5- The Union Pacific KOAMN along the shores of the San Pablo Bay. I finally went west of Davis to shoot and came up with some decent stuff.
Image © Jake Miille
PhotoID: 415979
Photograph © Jake Miille

4- Some of you may know this as Steinheimer's Curve but I know it as the Mike Haire Secret Spot. After accomplishing a short but difficult climb, I was in position to shoot 844 as it rolled past the Bear River Valley near Emigrant Gap.
Image © Jake Miille
PhotoID: 410425
Photograph © Jake Miille

3- It's a strange shot and not one I attended to get. UP 1983 leading the Family Days train alongside I-80 in Roseville.
Image © Jake Miille
PhotoID: 406061
Photograph © Jake Miille

2- My first shot of a train at the world famous Tehachapi Loop. Some morning fog was just burning off giving this shot a unique look.
Image © Jake Miille
PhotoID: 404060
Photograph © Jake Miille

1- Union Pacific 844 winding through the curves at Andover and posing in front of the beautiful Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Image © Jake Miille
PhotoID: 410393
Photograph © Jake Miille

2012 gave me some decent results. I really wished I had gotten out more to shoot. Hopefully 2013 will bring more trains in front of my lens.

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

"Love the sound of that shutter!" -Peter Lik
Amtrakdavis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:28 AM   #27
stlgevo51

Well, I'm a little late to this thread, but I'll post 'em anyway.
The first three are all from one day: March 27th. UP 844 came into town pulling a long train filled with actors for the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Shiloh. The 200-mile chase was filled with fun.
Image © Jake B.
PhotoID: 393589
Photograph © Jake B.

Image © Jake B.
PhotoID: 393349
Photograph © Jake B.

Image © Jake B.
PhotoID: 393402
Photograph © Jake B.

The next three are from the other big steam event of the year: NKP 765's employee special excursions in the St. Louis area in September. NS was very understanding and let us in for night shots.
Image © Jake B.
PhotoID: 408656
Photograph © Jake B.

Image © Jake B.
PhotoID: 408984
Photograph © Jake B.

Image © Jake B.
PhotoID: 411079
Photograph © Jake B.

This next one is from the Nebraska Zephyr's mainline run from Chicago to Quincy. It was a fun day, though the train left us in the dust for the most part; we only wound up with two shots of the E5.
Image © Jake B.
PhotoID: 410374
Photograph © Jake B.

These next two are from a spontaneous trip up the Hannibal Subdivision, where I actually had a good time photographing Dash 9s.
Image © Jake Branson
PhotoID: 419766
Photograph © Jake Branson

Image © Jake Branson
PhotoID: 420637

Last, but certainly not least, is my first PCA shot from the closing days of the year.
Image © Jake Branson
PhotoID: 419368
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:27 AM   #28
Ron Flanary

OK....I'm a little late to this as well, but here are my "favs" from 2012 (ten, that is). It wasn't exactly a red letter year for my photography, but looking back through the shots, it recalled some good memories:

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 418460
Photograph © Ron Flanary

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 416323
Photograph © Ron Flanary

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 415203
Photograph © Ron Flanary

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 410736
Photograph © Ron Flanary