Image © Geoff Brozny
PhotoID: 244356
Photograph © Geoff Brozny
gbrozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:11 AM   #52
Freericks
Met Fan

Geoff,

The rail on the front porch completely changes the situation. As to the CSX image that Tim felt was American Xenophobia... I have to say, I don't think it belonged in the database either... but it's not my data base. If it were, I would have kicked it.

Charles
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:19 AM   #53
gbrozny

Send a message via ICQ to gbrozny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
Geoff,

The rail on the front porch completely changes the situation. As to the CSX image that Tim felt was American Xenophobia... I have to say, I don't think it belonged in the database either... but it's not my data base. If it were, I would have kicked it.

Charles
I do not think that CSX one is too bad compared to Tim's it did not draw my eye direct to it when I first clicked it, I do not mind the door open one bit in either case, in fact earlier in the year I shot this during the end of a crew change, I chose the one with the door open because I saw it as being different.

Image © Geoff Brozny
PhotoID: 230552
Photograph © Geoff Brozny

All I can guess if open door shots are going to be rejected is that you try to shoot it as wide as you can to try to minimize the open door.
gbrozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:13 AM   #54
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuTiger19
This shot made it on...

Image © Frank Orona
PhotoID: 247826
Photograph © Frank Orona
Most likely got in since the open door isnt "in your face"........... Hope you get another shot at that one maybe when iits cooler

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:24 AM   #55
Joe the Photog

No open door here...

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Thankfully.

Joe
Old 08-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #56
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2002
That's because it's an American train in the USA.

TDS
I've NEVER detected any anti-Canada bias on RP. If anything, I think the minor bias that exists is that non-North America shots get a bit more latitude in terms of quality, especially those from countries with fewer uploads.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 08-22-2008 at 02:12 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #57
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Douglas Moore
Most likely got in since the open door isnt "in your face".
I think that is definitely the issue with the nose-on shot, but TDS has a point about the other shot. However, one problem, which no one has mentioned yet, is simply that screening is uneven by nature, the same decision will not be made twice in a row, and TDS maybe just happened to get the screener with a less favorable view of open doors, and maybe that screener was having a more negative day, etc.

Just because one shot gets on doesn't mean another does. It is a subjective process.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #58
JRMDC

Maybe the open door just has to have a pretty color!

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 213535
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 212657

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 212652

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #59
Somebody in the WWW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
If anything, I think the minor bias that exists is that non-North America shots get a bit more latitude in terms of quality
Really? If you ask the contributors on a couple of boards, RailPictures supposedly has a rejection reason named:

"Australian Train: This means that the photo was taken in Australia."

Somebody in the WWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #60
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody in the WWW
Really? If you ask the contributors on a couple of boards, RailPictures supposedly has a rejection reason named:

"Australian Train"
Well.... Sometimes we in other ex-colonies also suffer. And I may be thinking of shots from countries with, don't know how to categorize them these days, lower GDP per capita levels. At any rate I had never heard of an anti-Canada bias and certainly one sees dull or questionable shots from up there as often as one sees them from the US, adjusting for submission rate.

And adjusting for red noses, which brighten up any shot, especially winter shots, giving Canadians an inherent advantage in taking attractive shots!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #61
Ween

Quote:
That's because it's an American train in the USA.
Tim, your rejection for the nose door being open is not a sign of anti-Canadian bias but rather it's an evolution of the screening standards at RP. We may not like it, but those are the rules we have to abide by to contribute here.

In addition, welcome to the forums. You'll find a lot of helpful people here, but on the flip side, you'll find a few trolls who chime in to see what buttons they can push to get a rise out of you. It's the nature of the beast.

But, bottomline, shoot what you want to shoot. If it gets accepted here, great, if it doesn't, no big deal...you still captured a moment in history and have something you're proud of and can look back on.

To sum up, no anti-Canadian bias, don't feed the trolls, and shoot what you want and don't worry about whether or not RP accepts or rejects your efforts; just have fun!
Old 08-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #62
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Tim, your rejection for the nose door being open is not a sign of anti-Canadian bias but rather it's an evolution of the screening standards at RP. We may not like it, but those are the rules we have to abide by to contribute here.

...and you all thought I was crazy when I first said that I hate open doors.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #63
KevinM

I concur with the folks who say it just depends on the particulars of the shot and the views of the particular Screener you happen to draw. There are tons of open door shots on RP, especially, as Janusz pointed out, on the steamers! I think it pays to bear in mind that on locomotives with very prominent nose-doors, you're going to have a greater probability of a rejection if you take a shot that really shows off that open door. I recently encountered an F-unit with an open door. Since I don't generally shoot diesels, my only use for such a shot would have been here...and seeing how ugly an F-unit looked with an open nose-door, I pulled back my camera and said....uh, no.

Now for me, a real, bona-fide shot-killer is sticking a diesel right behind a steam engine.....now, come ON!!!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #64
tim2002

Quote:
However, one problem, which no one has mentioned yet, is simply that screening is uneven by nature, the same decision will not be made twice in a row, and TDS maybe just happened to get the screener with a less favorable view of open doors, and maybe that screener was having a more negative day, etc.

Just because one shot gets on doesn't mean another does. It is a subjective process.
I think you hit the nail on the head here bud.

TDS
tim2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #65
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

IVE GOT AN IDEA, lets clone one of the screeners and let the other ones go then we would have only one person screening.

Quote:
I think you hit the nail on the head here bud.

TDS
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #66
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Many others have hit the nail on the head before me... but here goes.

Everyone who's been around here for awhile knows that we give far more leeway on scenic, interestingly composed photos than we do to standard 3/4 angle wedgies. If you're going to upload a roster shot of common power (and yes, even though you personally haven't shot that particular BNSF Dash 9, it's still common), the light and many other aspects of the photo must be darn near perfect. That includes a big open nose door that grabs your eyes, no matter where they may focus when you initially open the image, and draws them to that one spot. An open door on a widecab is extremely distracting in a standard roster shot composition.

And Tim... please spare us the "because it's not American" crap, eh. In case you haven't noticed, your trains look exactly like ours do, except yours typically run through prettier scenery, eh. To suggest that we have singled you out just because your photos are taken north of the border is nothing short of insulting, eh buddy.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:34 AM   #67
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy
Many others have hit the nail on the head before me... but here goes.

Everyone who's been around here for awhile knows that we give far more leeway on scenic, interestingly composed photos than we do to standard 3/4 angle wedgies. If you're going to upload a roster shot of common power (and yes, even though you personally haven't shot that particular BNSF Dash 9, it's still common), the light and many other aspects of the photo must be darn near perfect. That includes a big open nose door that grabs your eyes, no matter where they may focus when you initially open the image, and draws them to that one spot. An open door on a widecab is extremely distracting in a standard roster shot composition.

And Tim... please spare us the "because it's not American" crap, eh. In case you haven't noticed, your trains look exactly like ours do, except yours typically run through prettier scenery, eh. To suggest that we have singled you out just because your photos are taken north of the border is nothing short of insulting, eh buddy.
I've been lurking on this one and have been thinking the same thing that Chris has said. I'd kill for some Canadian scenery.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #69
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Not to be rude, but do you honestly think those three 3/4 wedgies in marginal scenery look good with the open door staring you in the face? I didn't screen any of those, but I would have done the exact same thing.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #70
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S
IVE GOT AN IDEA, lets clone one of the screeners and let the other ones go then we would have only one person screening.
Better yet, lets get rid of ALL the screeners and upload on the honor system. We will promise to only upload the vgery, very best.

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #71
tim2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy
Not to be rude, but do you honestly think those three 3/4 wedgies in marginal scenery look good with the open door staring you in the face? I didn't screen any of those, but I would have done the exact same thing.
Maybe if it were a pair of GEs, I would agree with you, but look at the consist again. I'd have thought that would have made up for the open door, which is why I posted them in the first place. The lead unit even has it's class lights on.

TDS
Old 09-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #72
JRMDC

Quote:
Maybe if it were a pair of GEs, I would agree with you, but look at the consist again. I'd have thought that would have made up for the open door, which is why I posted them in the first place. The lead unit even has it's class lights on.

TDS
Sorry, Tim, those are three boring wedgies of common CN power.

There are 42 shots of CN SD40-2(W) engines on RP and way over 500 shots of CN SD40-2 engines, of which many if not most are wide cabs but not so designated. What is special about this consist?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-09-2008, 06:36 PM   #73
tim2002

Quote:
Sorry, Tim, those are three boring wedgies of common CN power.

There are 42 shots of CN SD40-2(W) engines on RP and way over 500 shots of CN SD40-2 engines, of which many if not most are wide cabs but not so designated. What is special about this consist?
It is just about impossible to find a consist like this running around on CN anymore. There are about 30 widecab GP40-2s roaming around the CN system, out of a once very strong 250+. This consist has 3 of them. The SD40-2W fleet is rapidly disappearing also. You will never find a consist like this on the mainline.

TDS
Old 09-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #74
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
It is just about impossible to find a consist like this running around on CN anymore. There are about 30 widecab GP40-2s roaming around the CN system, out of a once very strong 250+. This consist has 3 of them. The SD40-2W fleet is rapidly disappearing also. You will never find a consist like this on the mainline.

TDS
I don't know anything about the CN, and I'd have to say that the consist just makes it. The open door doesn't bother me. If I were screening (at times I wish we had a California screener!) they'd make it in just because of it's consist.

SMW- now back to your reguarlly scheduled program.....
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #75
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Your shots aren't bad. I like them. If the door was shut it might get in or in the scene was better they would probably get in. Just remember that rare isn't what this site is about. It is about photo composition and/or quality. You have the quality level so get back out there.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote