Old 08-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #26
tim2002

Generally, when it is four degrees out, crews tend to leave the doors closed.

TDS

"And, of course, you had bad luck with the door, but you don't get doors every time either."
tim2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:03 PM   #27
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2002
Generally, when it is four degrees out, crews tend to leave the doors closed.
Most of the time, but sometimes you never know what you're gonna see! I don't remember the temp at the time, but I'm pretty sure it was in the 20F range:

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 126902
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus
Old 08-21-2008, 09:19 PM   #28
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Wow. Why is that? So you are telling me that if a train is stopped for over two hours because of congestion in the yard, you won't shoot it? This was the only angle I could get of the engine without it being covered in weeds.

Or, perhaps you are one of these people who only like brand new engines who are blind to the fact that in 5 years that is all you will be able to shoot, and you'll be wishing you could go find a boring shot of a very cool engine.

TDS
Who are you talking to?
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #29
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

I personally don't mind open doors. They add charecter to a photo. I only have one in, and I saw it come around the bend and yelled "YES!!!". If it were closed, it would be just another boring Christie shot, but, the open door brings a bit of life, breaks the monotone Heritage 2.

Well, just my $.02...

Image © Steven M. Welch
PhotoID: 230641
Photograph © Steven M. Welch
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:48 PM   #30
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmwelch
I personally don't mind open doors. They add charecter to a photo. I only have one in, and I saw it come around the bend and yelled "YES!!!". If it were closed, it would be just another boring Christie shot, but, the open door brings a bit of life, breaks the monotone Heritage 2.

Well, just my $.02...
Did you scream for glee when the sun got blocked as well?

Whatever helps you feel better.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:52 PM   #31
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Did you scream for glee when the sun got blocked as well?

Whatever helps you feel better.
Somewhat, yes... It would have been pretty high sun, and the clouds got me.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:09 PM   #32
tim2002

Quote:
Who are you talking to?
YOU! You said you disagreed with me, and didn't explain why which led me to believe what I believed.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #33
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
YOU! You said you disagreed with me, and didn't explain why which led me to believe what I believed.
Use quotes next time, it helps avoid confusion.

So that 9527 was sitting, waiting to get into a yard? If there isn't a good shot to be had, then there simply is not a good shot. You can't shoot every train and sometimes you just have to pass on one. Saying that this was the best you could do given the circumstances is a very weak excuse. It's the same thing as someone complaining that their cloudy shot didn't get in and saying that it was the best they could do without sun.

Eventually you get tired of shooting sub-par shots, I sure have. I just don't see the point in taking shots that I won't be happy with. Much like RP, your standards should constantly be rising as your skill improves. Don't be like 75% of the railfans out there and try to find ways to make things easier and justify your crappy shots. Try to make things harder, it will only make you better.

Also, I almost never shoot trains sitting in daylight. I'm not against it, but I'm a chaser (and a tripod user!) and I don't want to be limited to one shot that's probably going to suck, much like yours.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:54 PM   #34
tim2002

Quote:
Use quotes next time, it helps avoid confusion.

So that 9527 was sitting, waiting to get into a yard? If there isn't a good shot to be had, then there simply is not a good shot. You can't shoot every train and sometimes you just have to pass on one. Saying that this was the best you could do given the circumstances is a very weak excuse. It's the same thing as someone complaining that their cloudy shot didn't get in and saying that it was the best they could do without sun.

Eventually you get tired of shooting sub-par shots, I sure have. I just don't see the point in taking shots that I won't be happy with. Much like RP, your standards should constantly be rising as your skill improves. Don't be like 75% of the railfans out there and try to find ways to make things easier and justify your crappy shots. Try to make things harder, it will only make you better.

Also, I almost never shoot trains sitting in daylight. I'm not against it, but I'm a chaser (and a tripod user!) and I don't want to be limited to one shot that's probably going to suck, much like yours.
So, say this engine ends up in a wreck the next day, and is retired and cut up never to be shot again. You're telling me that you wouldn't be even the slightest bit disappointed with yourself that you didn't shoot it? CN has the attendency to retire their engines for the most mundane reasons.

Saying my shot sucks is kind of crazy. I bet it's better than your shot of CN 9527.

TDS
Old 08-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #35
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
So, say this engine ends up in a wreck the next day, and is retired and cut up never to be shot again. You're telling me that you wouldn't be even the slightest bit disappointed with yourself that you didn't shoot it? CN has the attendency to retire their engines for the most mundane reasons.
That scenario is applicable to even the newest of GEVOs. With that logic you better get out there and shoot every engine you can regardless of how much the shot will suck. You might be one those types that tries to get a shot of every locomotive. I surely am not because I just don't see the point. Thousands of people have shot X locomotive, so when I do, I try to make it better that the majority of those existing shots. No sense in adding the pile of crap.

Quote:
Saying my shot sucks is kind of crazy. I bet it's better than your shot of CN 9527.

TDS
Crazy, how so? What's good about it? Nothing.

I'll never shoot the CN 9527 because I think those engines are butt-ugly. I much prefer the SD50Fs, and I do have shots of those.

Last edited by Mike B.; 08-21-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #36
khalucha

My 2 cents from the peanut gallery. If it is not up to RP's par then just keep it for your collection. I like the shot, and would keep it for my own collection if I took it.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 PM   #37
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

If you don't mind the noes doors open shoot away, have fun, Think you will have a better chances to get them in if you back off and shot across a field. as for Mr B don't feed the bears

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:43 PM   #38
tim2002

[quote=Mike B.]That scenario is applicable to even the newest of GEVOs. With that logic you better get out there and shoot every engine you can regardless of how much the shot will suck. You might be one those types that tries to get a shot of every locomotive. I surely am not because I just don't see the point. Thousands of people have shot X locomotive, so when I do, I try to make it better that the majority of those existing shots. No sense in adding the pile of crap.

GEVOs will keep being built and built and built. GP40-2s? Not so much.

TDS
Old 08-21-2008, 11:50 PM   #39
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244
How about rejecting a shot because a crewmember left their cooler on the walkway or has water chilling on the top of the nose? But hey, it's their site...
How about an open door AND a cooler!!

Image © Deborah Moore
PhotoID: 245165
Photograph © Deborah Moore

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #40
JRMDC

Mike, will you ever learn that opinions are opinions, that lots of question can never be settled unambiguously, and that others need not make decisions as you do?

Quote:
As for me, I like sitting trains because I can experiment with a category of shots that I like but am still not good at (only one or two such shots good enough for RP and no others in the personal collection worth much):
Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 204349
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #41
nikos1

I cant see any reason to not shoot a train. If you see a train stopped and have time to stop, why not? Even if its cloudy it doesnt take much time to take a picture, what are you wasting? Megabytes?
For some people its all about the photography, but for many like me who hardly is ever to able to get photographically interesting shots, roster shooting can be another hobby, shoot just so you can have a record of a engine. Not saying you should then upload them all to RP, but thats why we have RRPA.
An example of mine, the shots range from mediocre to terrible, but i was able to add 18 locos from CSX and UP to my roster, including 3 SD40's and my first ACe
http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/...d=33442&Page=1

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:40 AM   #42
Chris Wilson

Send a message via MSN to Chris Wilson

Our S-13u always has its door open in the summer time. There is no A/C, its a part of railroading, and I don't know how it makes a locomotive look "Unprofessional, Distracting, etc"! Its part of the human aspect of the chooch.

Oh well, it seem's my GE shots from the curve will always meet the criteria. That is fine.

Its not my website, I can live with that. But sometimes I just wonder... Other people would get Bad Motive for something along this line : http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=247824&nseq=0 (Not hitting on the contributor)

Last edited by Chris Wilson; 08-22-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Chris Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:01 AM   #43
Dump The Air

But will an overprocessed night shot of the same door get in?
Dump The Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:16 AM   #44
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Mike, will you ever learn that opinions are opinions, that lots of question can never be settled unambiguously, and that others need not make decisions as you do?

You're absolutely right, J. Sometimes I just need to give up and realize that some people will just never change their minds, regardless of what I say. Lord knows I've been trying that with the "EMDX" SD60s...
Old 08-22-2008, 01:26 AM   #45
tim2002

Quote:
You're absolutely right, J. Sometimes I just need to give up and realize that some people will just never change their minds, regardless of what I say. Lord knows I've been trying that with the "EMDX" SD60s...
You've been trying to change the EMDX SD60's minds? Trying to convince them that they are actually SD70s?
Old 08-22-2008, 02:01 AM   #46
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
You've been trying to change the EMDX SD60's minds? Trying to convince them that they are actually SD70s?
I know you're being sarcastic, but to remove any mis-information I'll explain.

For some reason, a lot of people got it in their heads that the ex-Oakway SD60s are lettered EMDX, but they are EMD according to their AEI tags, the BNSF mainframe computers, the blue card, etc. Even with all that, people still think they are EMDX. Drives me crazy.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:11 AM   #47
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

What if the door is open on a high nose SD40-2, and the conductor is not wearing any shoes? Harsh crappy lighting included.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:39 AM   #48
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump The Air
But will an overprocessed night shot of the same door get in?
Only if it's taken by me or Knapp
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:54 AM   #49
AuTiger19

This shot made it on...

Image © Frank Orona
PhotoID: 247826
Photograph © Frank Orona
AuTiger19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:40 AM   #50
tim2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuTiger19
This shot made it on...

Image © Frank Orona
PhotoID: 247826
Photograph © Frank Orona
That's because it's an American train in the USA.

TDS