Old 06-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
JMeade

Default Too Much Noise

Hello everyone.

Was on a hiatus for a bit from contributing to the site. I went out this weekend and wanted to document the opening of CT Rail. I'm not that hell bent on this image, but what I wanted was a fresh set of eyes on one of the rejection points. This was shot on a Sony A7R3 at ISO 100. My only guess is the "noise" the screener might be referring to are the plethora of bugs on the face of the engine.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...53&key=8045326

I re-edited the image, applied some noise reduction via LR.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...98&key=3271812

Thank you.
JMeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

I don't really see a whole lot of noise. I do see some funky color casts in the shadowy areas on the right side. The crossties far right are borderline purple.

Thank goodness somebody posted something! Been awful quiet since we can't point and laugh at certain photographers now...

Loyd L.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #3
SAR Connecta

Just my two cents I do see the noise / grain - too much use of the shadow enhancer tool? The blurry info sign and lady in the red top with no legs on the left edge doesn't seem to be helping either. Maybe try a different crop (a vertical even) and make less use of shadow tool and you may be successful.

My Railpictures.Net photos can be found here http://www.railpictures.net/sarconnecta/.
SAR Connecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
SAR Connecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I don't really see a whole lot of noise. I do see some funky color casts in the shadowy areas on the right side. The crossties far right are borderline purple.

Thank goodness somebody posted something! Been awful quiet since we can't point and laugh at certain photographers now...

Loyd L.
I wondered why it has been so quiet - I must have missed something.

My Railpictures.Net photos can be found here http://www.railpictures.net/sarconnecta/.
SAR Connecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
ATSF666

Candyland!
Old 06-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #6
RobJor

This is a tough one, strong light, shadowed areas and people on platform, a type of street photography. Assuming you don't have a better one I would crop(as mentioned) left and bottom(lady and out of focus) and top and right to get rid of some of the problems noted. If you are going to apply noise reduction, best done earlier. Not sure if this was like auto processed but reduce saturation(or vibrance if you have that option) and maybe contrast??? then I would sharpen at the minimum taking a chance on undersharpened.
As it is there is something showing up on the nose, maybe not noise, paint bubbling, dirt splatter but the sun and sharpening looks to bring out every little wart.

I just had one rejected for too much contrast, it really gave it pop but the rejection was correct, just too much and corrected did pretty well.

bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR Connecta View Post
I wondered why it has been so quiet - I must have missed something.
The forum has become a safe space.

Loyd L.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:53 PM   #8
RobJor

Quote:

Loyd L.
LOL - Yes, perfect for snowflakes. And to think, I didn't start too long ago and it was tough but fun.

Bob
Old 06-18-2018, 08:55 PM   #9
Joseph Cermak

Quote:

Loyd L.
Kind of a bummer, it's been dead quiet here now....really seems to have killed the participation....and the fun
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #10
RobJor

Ok, try to liven up a little.

Seriously, when you are shooting train platforms you need to find the right subject. Although this was rejected due to foreground clutter.

Lot of things wrong about the 70's but not everything.

bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Septa.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	9628  
Old 06-18-2018, 09:08 PM   #11
miningcamper1

Quote:

Loyd L.
There ought to be a middle ground between the almost total lack of criticism on Flickr and the frequent nastiness on YouTube.

Considering what gets accepted here, I really don't see any reason that this one was targeted. Too bad management never says where they magically see "noise".

Really awful new image for "CT Rail". I wonder whether anyone there has looked up "CT" in Unban Dictionary.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #12
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
There ought to be a middle ground between the almost total lack of criticism on Flickr and the frequent nastiness on YouTube.

Considering what gets accepted here, I really don't see any reason that this one was targeted. Too bad management never says where they magically see "noise".

Really awful new image for "CT Rail". I wonder whether anyone there has looked up "CT" in Unban Dictionary.
We always used it with another first letter but I will stick with the abbreviation for Connecticut.

Bob
Old 06-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #13
JMeade

Thank you for the feedback. Again, I'm not totally hell bent over this frame but when the rejection said too much noise, it left my head scratching.

The vibrance can be muted since I shot in RAW and processed with LR/PS. The Sony A7R3 has an abundant of dynamic range and ISO100 its crazy how much detail you can extract from the shadow areas. The reason why the sign to the left is not in focus is because the engine where I focused is not on the same focal plane (was shot at f4.) I used my 135 prime lens and wanted to accentuate the massive crowd at Hartford.

Since the station is on an S curve, any further back and I would have the pillars obstructing the view of the engine.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:45 AM   #14
jac_murphy

What's all the speckling on the locomotive - dirt and grime? That's the only thing in the image that resembles any kind of noise, and I assume the screeners were looking at that. Might be worth mentioning in the comments to them.

Other than that, I think your first effort was the better of the two. In the second, the shadows were pulled up a little too far to the point where the image was lacking contrast.

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #15
JMeade

Those speckles you are referring to are bugs. The face of the engine was plastered with them, and I did make a note to the screener when submitting.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...20&key=7256171

Final rejection. Thanks everyone for the input. Just going to let this slide. Probably one of, if not the only time you are going to see ridership this big get on a CT Rail train in Hartford.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #16
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Ok, try to liven up a little.

Seriously, when you are shooting train platforms you need to find the right subject. Although this was rejected due to foreground clutter.

Lot of things wrong about the 70's but not everything.

bob
I think you were too busy enjoying the view

Loyd L.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #17
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeade View Post
Those speckles you are referring to are bugs. The face of the engine was plastered with them, and I did make a note to the screener when submitting.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...20&key=7256171

Final rejection. Thanks everyone for the input. Just going to let this slide. Probably one of, if not the only time you are going to see ridership this big get on a CT Rail train in Hartford.
I do like this crop a lot better, but don't see any noise in the photo anywhere. Even looking at the loco nose and the bugs it doesn't look like noise to me. Very odd...
Old 06-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #18
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeade View Post

I honestly do not see any noise in the photo. I say this, because I've been given crap here by several members through the years because I pointed out noise and was vocal about it. I hate noise in the digital age. I hate noise almost as much as I hate when photographers half-butt their wide angle shots by not addressing the lens distortion.

Loyd L.

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 06-19-2018 at 01:27 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #19
ATSF666

The processing is much better on the final submission. I, too, do not see any digital noise.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:23 PM   #20
JRMDC

In focusing on the rejection reason people are overlooking other flaws. For one, oversharpened! Just look at that oversharpening artifact on top of the engine. For another, what is going on in the sky upper right? And I don't mean whatever that netting (?) is that is hanging on the framework. I mean above that, up against the top edge on the right side. There's a brightness gradient there that does not look right.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #21
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
In focusing on the rejection reason people are overlooking other flaws.
I'm not overlooking.. I'm saving it. This may be the only thread for days, and I want to savor it.

Loyd L.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:53 PM   #22
miningcamper1

Quote:
In focusing on the rejection reason people are overlooking other flaws. For one, oversharpened! Just look at that oversharpening artifact on top of the engine. For another, what is going on in the sky upper right? And I don't mean whatever that netting (?) is that is hanging on the framework. I mean above that, up against the top edge on the right side. There's a brightness gradient there that does not look right.
If this was a wreck, it would be accepted so fast that heads would be spinning!

Coverage of a newsworthy event need not be art gallery quality IMO.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:55 PM   #23
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
I agree. And this certainly didn't seem like it was over-covered either.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:06 AM   #24
JRMDC

Quote:
If this was a wreck, it would be accepted so fast that heads would be spinning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
I agree. And this certainly didn't seem like it was over-covered either.
Backing off on sharpening is a looooong way off "art gallery quality." And whatever is top right is, to my eye, just plain weird.

Quote:
I'm not overlooking.. I'm saving it. This may be the only thread for days, and I want to savor it.
Ha ha ha ha ha

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:36 AM   #25
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Backing off on sharpening is a looooong way off "art gallery quality."
I'm a terrible judge of sharpness, just can't discern it. Not saying the image didn't have some issues I would adjust, but this grain rejection is baffling.