Old 11-21-2006, 02:29 AM   #1
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN
Default Derailment on Scenic Sub

At 2am PST, 8 cars on a BNSF local were derailed about 1 mile south of the old Everett Amtrak Depot on BNSF's Scenic Subdivision. I was out there a good part of the day watching them clean up the cars. 2 main tracks and a siding were destroyed for a few hundred feet. One box car containing particle board fell into the Puget Sound. No chemicals or fuel was leaked and nobody was injured. The train was carrying wood products. The cause of the derailment is unknown. Im guessing a car picked a switch. A BNSF offical in charge of investigating and "doing all the paper work for my many bosses" didnt really know either. Lately, the area has had record rain and flooding, but many trains have passed over the tracks as well. All Amtrak and Sounder trains have been cancelled for a few days.

To my dismay, no trains will be running between Spokane, WA and Seattle, WA (SPO to EVE/North is still operational). Some time-sensitive trains will be re-routed through the Colubmbia Gorge.

Pictures will be posted as soon as I get back to Pullman!

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
Tåg

Ive been messaging some of my BNSF friends on myspace about this. I think they had a thin flange pick up a switch point while going though a crossover.

Nobody got hurt thank God!

Here is the scoop:

www.nwcn.com

Last edited by Tåg; 11-21-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Tåg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
Jaypee_Logger
Blasting over a red flag.

Send a message via MSN to Jaypee_Logger Send a message via Yahoo to Jaypee_Logger

this must be why there has been a flood of trains come through pasco. we have been swamped.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:07 AM   #4
SJCAlien

Default MUK derailment

...I was up in Everett this last Turkey week, got some long-distance video of the scene from Harborview Park, it was 2 days after, but the weather sucked so big in SEA all of last week, I wasn't going to walk out to Horvath Park OC and risk getting the camera wet...BUT, we did see a camera toting person on the stairs at Horvath Park Overcrossing....looked to be out taking pics...will post the video in a day or so.....nothing good....just a look for you all....plus a few minutes of video of one of the 'overloaded' boxcars parked at MUK siding...my guess is the roadbed was saturated from all of the rain..the yellow boxcar I filmed looked top-heavy to me, but I know nothing about railroading..............then I catch a 6-Engine BNSF waiting at MUK the same day, with what seemed to be a 3-mile long Double-Stack waiting to go by the derailment...followed by AMTRAK Cascades in an early 8:30AM run-by...which surprised me, as I thought all rail service was cancelled............Hmmm

SJC Alien
SJCAlien is offline   Reply With Quote