Old 08-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Ron Flanary

Default "Bad Cropping"

Admittedly, I don't think I've ever shared a rejected image on this forum. When it happens, I either ignore it, try to fix it, or resolve it on my own. I try to be selective in what I upload, so only about 10 percent or less of the shots I send up to RP.net are rejected. And---some the rejects should be rejects (and conversely, some of those they accept should probably be rejected as well).

I just uploaded three shots on this hot, boring Saturday afternoon. All three were old slides I had scanned earlier, and just had on the computer. Two were accepted, but this one wasn't:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=786509134

I'm bemused at what "bad cropping" means in the viewpoint of RP.net. This is a full frame view of the original slide---and I framed it 20 years ago exactly as I intended for it be viewed. Not that I can go back in time to photograph a facility that no longer exists, but how else would you do this?

Clueless in Big Stone Gap...
RF
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
I'm bemused at what "bad cropping" means in the viewpoint of RP.net. This is a full frame view of the original slide---and I framed it 20 years ago exactly as I intended for it be viewed. Not that I can go back in time to photograph a facility that no longer exists, but how else would you do this?
Well, RP doesn't know whether or not it is the entirety of the slide. So they are simply going to respond to the shot as is, not knowing if the photographer is in a position to adjust the shot.

I find the shot to be squeezed in general on the sides. Although it isn't at all clear from what can be seen here that a bit more width would help things. I guess I would say that your bemusement is not warranted, according to this pair of eyes.

In general I'm not a fan, the shot is just too busy for my tastes. I'm fully aware that poles and wires are part of the reality and I think in general such things bother me less than they do most people, but here they pull my eyes away from the subject matter. It doesn't help that the hopper is dark and blends in to the background. I might try a BW conversion, making the greens brighter, and see if there is more separation.

In general, to me it is a roster shot of a tipple, not especially interesting, perhaps nothing better could be achieved at this location. It does occur to me that going wider might include enough things on the side, conveyors or what not, to give the shot a stronger feel than being just a generic structure. Not that tipples are necessarily that interesting visually, but this one doesn't really go anywhere. The shot has little context. As far as a photograph goes, well below your norm, in my view.

My usual ramblings, lengthy...

I

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 08-20-2011 at 09:59 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
Ron Flanary

I would tend to agree. A wide angle lens selection might have been better, but again, it's all a moot point. The more I look at it, the less I like it. The fact it's languished in the slide box all these years probably isn't an accident, because I must have felt it was somewhat marginal to begin with. Your first instincts are always the best.

There's nothing else I can on this one, so it heads to the trash heap of old railroad memories. Goodbye, tipple.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
troy12n
Banned

I have no idea what more is on the right outside of the frame, but hindsight being 20/20, maybe would have used a wider lens, or shot at a different angle to include more of the building to the right out of frame.

But hindsight is 20/20 and you cant go back and shoot it.

For what it's worth, I think it's acceptable for what it is, as-is.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
Ron Flanary

I can't recall...but at the moment I was there, it struck me as the best way to frame the shot and the right lens selection (a medium tele). Maybe I can clone some other type of structure on the right and turn it to a horizontal (that would be "landscape" to the younger folk).
Old 08-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #6
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
Maybe I can clone some other type of structure on the right and turn it to a horizontal (that would be "landscape" to the younger folk).
If you need some assistance with that, let me know

troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:02 AM   #7
stlgevo51

What Janusz said about the wires is the exact same thing that I would have said. Most of the time, poles and wires don't bother me (or rather I just don't notice them), but the pole in this shot really is distracting. I also agree about the tight crop.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
magicman_841

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 372589
Photograph © Ron Flanary

Well done, Mr. Flanary! This holds some great historical value to my eyes.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
Ron Flanary

I had appealed it when I first started this thread, but without much conviction. I just pointed out there wasn't much else I could do with it, since it was a full frame shot from 20 years ago. I guess they took another look and decided to accept it. I was fine with their decision either way though.

Yes, there is some historic value here: a single car coal tipple, a 70-ton Southern hopper, and all the appurtenances one used to find around these places. I guess it has some redeeming qualities after all.