Old 09-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
stlgevo51

Default Upload Limit

Hi everyone. When I joined RP they automatically limited my uploads per day to 2. I have heard other newbies have had this problem. I was wondering if I could get this back up to 10 or if I should buy a Elite membership, which I will some time time in the future. I'm planning on taking a lot of shots this upcoming weekend and I don't want to add 2 per day for 5 days. Thanks for any help.
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
KevinM

Did you have a 2-shot upload limit the minute you joined???

If so, that must be something new. When I joined about a year and a half back, the limit was 10 unless you had an Elite Membership. Of course, everyone lives with the possibility that if their acceptance/rejection ratio falls below a certain value, that limit could be imposed. None of us really knows what window of time they look at when they consider a member for that limit. I have over 300 shots in the data base, but I still get nervous when I get more than one rejection within a short span of time. As we get more experienced with this, we sometimes experiment and "push the envelope" a bit.

Anyway, a 2-shot limitation is not really that big a deal. I think the max I ever did in one day was 6, and that was right after a charter, when everyone is scrambling to post the angles they have before someone else does!!

On a given day, I'm lucky to post 1 or 2. I spend so much time agonizing over shot selection and postprocessing that I just can't do any more. My goal is to post the best stuff I have without duplicating too much of what other people do. If you do the same, I think you'll be fine with 1 or 2. If you blitz the screening queue with the max limit every day in hopes that 1 or 2 will get in, that's probably a good way to get in dutch with the RP Staff.

Seriously, my best advice is to pick the best of what you have. Do the best possible job you can postprocessing, then upload and be happy with them. If you develop a record of submitting good stuff, I think that upload limit will go away. People do manage to shed those limits.

Edit: Oh, BTW, if your limit was imposed because of previous rejections, buying an Elite Membership won't help. The Admins have previously stated that they've refunded money and canceled those memberships when the person's work was not meeting standards.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 09-16-2009 at 09:44 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
wongm

When I signed up a couple of months ago I had a 2 photo limit, I now have 42 photos in the DB and the limit still stands. However in the same time I have had about 150 rejections - I never seem to sharpen enough!
wongm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
stlgevo51

Kevin, it was the minute I started. By the way I'm going to Monticello Railroad Days on Saturday and I'm going to take lots of pictures, including at the night photo session.
And Marcus, I'm with you because I get lots of undersharpened rejections. I will have to remember to sharpen it more but I have a bad eye for how sharp the image is.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:54 PM   #5
Doug Wolfe

When you buy the Elite Membership you get unlimited uploads. RP did say in one post if you have unusually high rejection levels then they might refund it and put you back on 2 a day. I think you would have to have a huge number of really bad shots but I guess it does encourage only submitting the nice ones.

See you at Railroad Days. I will just be there during the day Saturday. Looks like a lot of fun with some nice units coming in for us to shoot. Plus, the inventory of trains that is always there is very impressive. I am looking forward to seeing everyone's shots...and of course I will sit here for days looking at photo's going to myself..."Why didn't I think of that?"
Doug Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:16 AM   #6
stlgevo51

Yeah it's going to be awesome this year with the Leviathan and the NS F units! I haven't been there in two years and I'm really looking forward to it. Next year I will be back more frequently when the SOU 401 is running.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:45 AM   #7
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgevo51 View Post
I'm planning on taking a lot of shots this upcoming weekend and I don't want to add 2 per day for 5 days. Thanks for any help.

What's the big deal with adding more than 2 a day? Do you really need to submit more than two a day? I've never understood this sentiment.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:18 AM   #8
DelmonteX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
What's the big deal with adding more than 2 a day? Do you really need to submit more than two a day? I've never understood this sentiment.
Ditto!

"The Best railroad photos on the 'net!" Quality not quantity. Put your best two up and see how they do! Play 'em out and give them a chance to be seen.

Just my 2 cents!

My Railpictures.net photos

My other photos
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
I think this is a lesson we all learn as we grow old on rp. Quality.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
Freericks
Met Fan

Sometimes, very rarerly, I'll submitt three on the same day. I guess that makes me a bit out of control...
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Sometimes, very rarerly, I'll submitt three on the same day. I guess that makes me a bit out of control...
Uh oh, we got a wild man here. Admins, looks like it's time to limit Charles to 2 uploads per day.

- Chris
Old 09-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
Uh oh, we got a wild man here. Admins, looks like it's time to limit Charles to 2 uploads per day.

- Chris
Based on my post... they had better at least start forcing me to use spell check before clicking send!!!!!
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:34 AM   #13
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

It was 10 per day when I signed up in March 2004. I have not submitted any photos in a while now because I have been busy but I still have an unlimited upload limit because I'm an Elite member. If you haven't had many rejections and would like to increase your upload limit, I'd suggest becoming an Elite member too.

To those who say, one should not really need to upload more than two photos per day, consider that some may have recently been on a holiday and want to upload many weeks of 'quality' shots.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:23 AM   #14
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
To those who say, one should not really need to upload more than two photos per day, consider that some may have recently been on a holiday and want to upload many weeks of 'quality' shots.
Let's look at this realistically...if someone has a 2 upload a day limit, then they must not have a bunch of quality shots to begin with. So, with that being said, pick your best and just do 1 or 2 a day until you gain that 10 limit back. Again, what's so important about adding more than 1 or 2 a day to your collection? It's not like RP is going anywhere. Have some frickin' patience, for pete's sake!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 09-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
dejv

Quote:
Let's look at this realistically...if someone has a 2 upload a day limit, then they must not have a bunch of quality shots to begin with.
Are you sure your conclusion is the right one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgevo51 View Post
Kevin, it was the minute I started. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wongm View Post
When I signed up a couple of months ago I had a 2 photo limit, I now have 42 photos in the DB and the limit still stands.
_______

I've signed up earlier, I have limit of 10 all the time even with quite low accepted/rejected ratio. I guess it's because I rarely upload more than twice a day.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
dejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #16
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejv View Post
I've signed up earlier, I have limit of 10 all the time even with quite low accepted/rejected ratio. I guess it's because I rarely upload more than twice a day.
Spot-on David. Based on the inputs we've received from the Admins, the upload limits were intended to put the brakes on folks who were shotgunning the screening queue with 10 photos a day in hopes that some might make it in. Can you imagine how much screening work would be involved if everyone who uploaded at least one shot today decided to upload their limit? Yikes! There are only 5 total Screeners here and that screening function is not a paying job.

I'd guess that most folks who frequent this site have favorite photographers....I mean other than themselves. I'd also venture that if you watch the activity of your favorites, very few of them ever do more than a couple a day. I recently went on a steam charter that included at least a dozen RP contributors. With a couple of exceptions, most of those folks have uploaded maybe 6-8 shots from that trip...over the course of a couple of weeks. They try to present the best they have....as opposed to everything they have. As others have said...quality over quantity.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #17
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejv View Post
Are you sure your conclusion is the right one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wongm View Post
When I signed up a couple of months ago I had a 2 photo limit, I now have 42 photos in the DB and the limit still stands. However in the same time I have had about 150 rejections - I never seem to sharpen enough!
If he still has the limit after this long, yes, I'm pretty confident my conclusion is the right one.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #18
Eugene

I joined RP in May this year and had a 3 photo limit from the outset. I now have 52 accepted shots, with roughly a 50/50 acceptance rate, obviously I want to improve on that! The info on the site indicates a 10-upload limit, I queried this with the screeners but never received a reply. Anyway, I have no problem with the 3 per day limit. I have learnt a lot from this forum, but I accept that what I like and what RP likes will not always be the same!
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #19
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I have learnt a lot from this forum, but I accept that what I like and what RP likes will not always be the same!
That's because photography is subjective and not everyone has the same tastes. Also (and this is not directed at you Eugene), if you are shooting with your only goal of getting your pictures on RP, then you're doing something wrong.

- Chris