Old 11-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Ron H

Default Opinions needed

Good morning, I submitted these two photos this morning and both were rejected. I made the appropriate corrections and was rejected again. What do you all think? Here are the photos.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=415056053
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=751654&key=0
I welcome any constructive criticisms.
Thanks, RH
Ron H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
wds

#1: I agree with their assessment with the possible exception of "horizon unlevel" While it appears the train has a bit of a leftward lean to it, the bridge verticals don't but you might want to try 0.5 degree CW rotation to appease them. Juice up the contrast and/or saturation just a bit until the blue looks the same as in the second shot. Possibly darkening the image overall might do the trick instead. As for the sharpening, look at the lower edges of the plow, they're a bit soft. Increase just enough to sharpen them up but not enough to cause noticable "jaggies" or halos around dark edges. Also clone out the funky white streak in the sky. Can't be a jet stream unless he's doing some stunt flying! There's a dust mark down below that too, clone it out.
2: The signs and ballast at the front are out of focus due to the depth of field. Not sure if they're taking that into consideration or not, but once again look at the plow (soft edges) and do as above.
Good luck

~Wayne
Old 11-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

#1 I agree with them, though I'd add that I beloeve all the issues are easily fixable. I didn't lay a grid on top of the shot, but if you look at the posts, signs and fence across the water, they all look to be leaning CCW. The train, as noted, also looks to be leaning CCW. I'd say the shot is leaning. I'd work on the exposure as it appears it might be atad bright. That in itself might appease them on the Bad Contrast.

#2 might be a tad soft. They've been hitting a lot of photos lately as "Undersharpened" since this doesn't surprise me. The shot doesn't adhere strictly to the Rule of Thirds either as the nose of the locomotive is too centered. The jet stream in the sky is barely noticeable. I wouldn't bother cloning it out, but the horrendous watermarks needs to go. I noticed it way before the jet stream which I had to look for after it was mentioned above.

I love those FEC GP40-2s. Get them while you can!
Old 11-15-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
wds

Huh? Joe, I was talking about the funny white mark in the sky in photo #1, didn't notice anything in #2 until YOU mentioned it and of course in #2 it's not a problem. I do agree #2 could use a bit of cropping off the left though...

Cheers...

~W.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:40 AM   #5
Joe the Photog

Oops. My mistake, ha-ha. Not sure how I missed that one. You're right. Duh.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
Ron H

Thanks to everyone for their input.
#1. That “jet stream” is a biplane, skywriting for Jesus. When ever we have cool clear skies, this guy gets up there and scribbles all over the sky. I can get rid of that and that pesky dust blob.
As far as those sign posts and fence, they themselves are not straight up and down. The fence posts are old concrete rail ties haphazardly stuck in the ground with a guard rail attached. On the first rejection I did snap a grid line and rotated CW a few degrees which got me to where I’m at now. Snapping the grid line again, it looks to me that it’s a hair over CW. I use the vertical lines on the right side of the nose and cab by the door and the stacks. I’m afraid if I go any more CW it’ll look like it’s falling towards the water.
As far as the exposure, I darkened up just a tad and it does look better.
As far as being soft, I’ve already sharpened it up twice and I tried another sharpen and I started to see the artifacts of being over sharpen. I need to learn more about sharpening, unsharp mask and the like.
#2 Again I tried to sharpen one more time with no joy. It was looking over sharpened. I shaved some off of the left side and a smidge off the bottom to get the nose towards the lower third and it does look better.
I was talking to Kevin Andrusia and he pretty much said the same things as what you guys said and being that the photos are not all that bad I picked the wrong day to get then accepted because the screener was Chris Starnes who is the owner of the site and he’s a real stickler for perfection. So I think I’ll pull up the raw shots and start over again. I just need to get a better grip on this sharpening thing because I’m so close to getting these accepted for they are good shots in general.
As far as the GP40’s, FEC has a bunch of them and there not going any where for a while.
Again thanks for the help. I get a little frustrated sometimes when I see a shot that I think is good and then I get shot down it’s tough to keep a good attitude. Kevin tells me not to take it personally but it can be hard some times.
RH
Ron H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
DWHonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
Thanks to everyone for their input.
#1. That “jet stream” is a biplane, skywriting for Jesus. When ever we have cool clear skies, this guy gets up there and scribbles all over the sky. I can get rid of that and that pesky dust blob.
Just a thought: Instead of cloning it out because it mars the big blue sky, leave it in and mention it in your remarks because it's something unique about the image. If you don't want to mention that he's scribbling about Jesus, fib a bit and say he's starting to write JOES DINER.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
wds

Perserverance pays! Good show!
Image © Ron Hammond
PhotoID: 304238
Photograph © Ron Hammond

Image © Ron Hammond
PhotoID: 304239
Photograph © Ron Hammond