Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Old 09-10-2007, 02:53 AM   #1
BartY

Default Rejected photos or: Why I haven't posted a photo on this site in 2 years...

When something like this gets rejected for "poor lighting":

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=222869041

Its no wonder some folks have given up on RP.net altogether.

I'm not going to bother to appeal, because I shouldn't have had to in the first place. Its inexcusable that someone has become so high and mighty (lazy is probably more accurate) that I should have to beg and plead my case because someone can't stand a small shadow cast by the coupler on the front plow.

All the fanboys can go ahead and insert their comments about how I'm being whiny that my picture didn't get accepted. If I was trying to "slide one past the screeners" or just submitting everything I had taken today, I wouldn't have said a word...but this is just nuts!
BartY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:13 AM   #2
Mgoldman

You could show us a top notch photo, in fact there was just such a photo that got a Screener's Choice and a People's Choice after being rejected, regardless, someone will undoubtably explain why it does not meet RP standards.

I'd say that photo is jaw dropping - jaw dropping in that when it got rejected your jaw must have hit the table. I can imagine your frustration. The variance in tastes between one screener and another is something that needs to be narrowed a bit. I'd say it's worth an appeal no doubt. Maybe there is some flaws with it (I like it), but I see no reason to shunt it.

Good luck.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:14 AM   #3
Ween

Quote:
All the fanboys can go ahead and insert their comments about how I'm being whiny that my picture didn't get accepted. If I was trying to "slide one past the screeners" or just submitting everything I had taken today, I wouldn't have said a word...but this is just nuts!
So what's your point in posting if you're not going to submit your photos here? Why say anything at all? Do you think you're going to be the Pied Piper and lead people away from this site with your disgust over the screening standards?

Either way, high sun or not, your rejected shot is a tad soft and had way too much green tint to it. Compare...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	de-greened.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	2149  

Last edited by Ween; 09-10-2007 at 03:17 AM.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:26 AM   #4
JRMDC

I would appeal, stating that the "high sun-ness" of the shot does not detract. There is high sun at the bottoms of the RoadRailers, but trailing cars are not an issue if the front end looks good. The nose has some high sun but there is no loss of detail in the shadows.

But you are being whiny. Chill. (Chill please? I suggest you chill? Cool off just a tad? What is polite yet pointed? ) It's just human beings running a website. They aren't out to get anyone, just doing things the way they see fit.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:28 AM   #5
JRMDC

And yes, if you had submitted what Ween suggested, we would not be having this discussion... The screeners saw a flawed shot and jumped on a reason for rejection, maybe not the best first reason to give, true. But Ween is correct, he has shown you how it should look.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-10-2007, 03:46 AM   #6
bigbassloyd

sorry you feel so abused by the screeners, but since they don't have a 'too much green' rejection button, poor lighting suffices..

There's been plenty of times I've beat my head against the desk trying to figure out where to buy some of the stuff the screeners were on when they looked at my shots.. but 95% of the time, I see the light, agree with them, and fix it.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 09-10-2007 at 03:49 AM.
bigbassloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:34 AM   #7
Mike B.
Banned

The high sun rejection is 100% correct. The light on the front of the engine may be satisfactory, but it is just ugly on the side of the RoadRailers. Since the RoadRailers make up about of the train in this shot, I think the rejection was correct.

More than the nose had to be lit to have good light...
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:58 AM   #8
rustyrail

He was robbed. There is absolutely no good reason to reject that photo, especially for high sun. Even if softer light from the left accentuated the nose of engine, the Roadrailers would still be in the shadow, so using that as an excuse to reject this as high sun is blindingly short sighted.

Too much green tint? Come on, there's an abundance of green foliage in the picture. Of course it's going to be green....maybe (just maybe...) there's too much saturation, but we're really splitting hairs here. Same with the softness. It's sharp enough to get at least a base hit in the big leagues.

Maybe there needs to be a rejection called, "We're just too damn picky when it comes to NS widecab Dash 9's in our database. The photo has to be perfect in our eyes. Thanks for submitting, and we hope to reject more photos like this one in the future!"

The original poster has it right about not appealing as well. Why beg and plead? It's just humiliating. He's got the right attitude!

Last edited by rustyrail; 09-10-2007 at 05:05 AM.
rustyrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:48 AM   #9
JRMDC

Chill, Rusty! I'm not being polite this time. See what I said before about "humans running a website." And go through the website and see just how many NS dash 9s there are. Geesh.

BTW, how can it be "humiliating" to resubmit? It's private, no one will ever know. And what was he "robbed" of? If RP is so terrible, how can there be so much value in putting images here that he has been "robbed"? Whine, whine, whine, just like BartY. Maybe this one is a mistake, maybe not. But it's just a picture. (And it's not like this is a potential Screener's Choice or PCA we are debating here. )

I bet Ween's version gets accepted. I know I have had a few that I thought should have been accepted. Move on, I did.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-10-2007, 06:02 AM   #10
Ween

Quote:
Too much green tint? Come on, there's an abundance of green foliage in the picture. Of course it's going to be green....maybe (just maybe...) there's too much saturation, but we're really splitting hairs here. Same with the softness.
Rusty,

The green tinting and the softness were obvious in Bart's original rejection. Have you even looked at my improvements to the shot? Why settle for a shot that's okay when several clicks (Image>Adjustments>Auto Color, Image>Adjustment>Exposure (Gamma 1.03), and Filter>Sharpen>USM 50%, 0.5, 0) gets you much, much better results?

The green tint was caused by the camera seeing all the green in the scene. It didn't do a good job getting the colors correct and the result looks like you're looking through a green filter. Auto Color corrected it well enough.
The rejected photo is decent enough, but it's not living up to its potential...

Quote:
I bet Ween's version gets accepted.
I bet too...
Old 09-10-2007, 06:54 AM   #11
AZdude

Default Take a deep breath and appeal.

Hey dude, Well, don't know what to say. The photo is a hair on the soft side, but other than that I think it's a nice photo. I've seen plenty of other photos get accepted that weren't as good. I would try to sharpen it a bit and try some color correction for the green tint. We all know it bites when our photos get rejected. I can honestly say I've become a better photographer because of this website, not only with my rail photos but also with my side jobs shooting weddings. I think for every photo I've gotten on RP there were 2 or 3 that didn't. I try not to get all bent out of shape about it, that's just the way it is sometimes.
AZdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #12
BartY

It was shot at f5.6 at probably 250-300mm. The depth of field will be very small but the critical elements look plenty sharp on both monitors I've viewed the picture on. I run everything through unsharp mask in PS at 125%, .3 radius. I could go to a wider radius, but I think it makes the picture look over-sharpened and defeats the purpose of shooting at wider apertures. I am not after trying to make every last needle and leaf

I see a reoccurring theme in the forum about certain individuals complaining about color saturation. Some of us like saturated colors. I happen to be one of them so I put my camera in more vivid color mode. I don't care for the Kodachrome 64 look personally. I shot maybe 2 rolls of it 7-8 years ago and went to Fuji Sensia and Provia before shooting digital because I couldn't stand the muted color of Kodachrome. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

As I stated, I haven't posted anything in nearly 2 years but I thought I'd give RP another try to see if things had improved in the screening process. I shouldn't have to argue a case for every picture because a particular screener has a bias about minor details of a shot, particularly those that have no material impact on the presentation of the picture.

Let me say this, there are more than a few much more talented photogs than I who have had enough with RP.net and have gone elsewhere, mainly because of junk like this. They're getting tired of being nickel and dimed to death because of a stray shadow on a coupler, truck or someone whining about contrast or color saturation that doesn't fit their personal view of how a photo is supposed to look.
BartY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #13
Crusader

There seems to be enough light on the plow. But if I'd had to guess without seeing the reason for rejection, I'd have said "soft" or that old fave "common power."

Now, if that NS Dash-9 had been belching fire out its stack or something....
Old 09-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #14
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartY
I shouldn't have to argue a case for every picture because a particular screener has a bias about minor details of a shot, particularly those that have no material impact on the presentation of the picture.
You are welcome to your opinion, and I have no objection to most of what you say, whether I agree or not. But the above, geesh. Is it only the screener that has bias? Does a photographer ever have bias? OF COURSE! Can a screener and a photographer simply disagree as to what constitutes "material impact"? OF COURSE! I don't mind you complaining about the screening, we all do it at one time or another!, but you are pretty explicitly saying that you are right and the screener isn't, and that's pretty silly in a subjective realm like evaluating shots. You are doing exactly what you blame the screeners for doing. Absurd.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-10-2007, 03:34 PM   #15
Railfan Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrail
He was robbed. There is absolutely no good reason to reject that photo, especially for high sun. Even if softer light from the left accentuated the nose of engine, the Roadrailers would still be in the shadow, so using that as an excuse to reject this as high sun is blindingly short sighted.

Too much green tint? Come on, there's an abundance of green foliage in the picture. Of course it's going to be green....maybe (just maybe...) there's too much saturation, but we're really splitting hairs here. Same with the softness. It's sharp enough to get at least a base hit in the big leagues.

Maybe there needs to be a rejection called, "We're just too damn picky when it comes to NS widecab Dash 9's in our database. The photo has to be perfect in our eyes. Thanks for submitting, and we hope to reject more photos like this one in the future!"

The original poster has it right about not appealing as well. Why beg and plead? It's just humiliating. He's got the right attitude!
There is just so much about this post I don't agree with, I don't even know where to start.

First off lets start with your blindingly short sided comment. What is blindingly short sided is that you thing this. RP has the best railpics on the net and they don't want to fall short of that goal.

Second, what is wrong with appealing? As the screeners say, they are human they make mistakes. I personally have had two successful appeals, one with the help of these forums. Also in case you overlooked an earlier post, a recent reject became a screeners choice with minor changes. Also the right attitude is not coming to the forums to complain about rejects. The right attitude is to come to the forums to learn from your rejects.

As to your new rejection catergory, I have no comment that I can post.

Quote:
As I stated, I haven't posted anything in nearly 2 years but I thought I'd give RP another try to see if things had improved in the screening process. I shouldn't have to argue a case for every picture because a particular screener has a bias about minor details of a shot, particularly those that have no material impact on the presentation of the picture.
In this you are completely right, just not in the way you meant it. The screening process has improved over the years, becoming more strict, allowing only the best in. Also I looked over some of your older pics, and if they were screened today, they probably wouldn't make it. But, this one is good and you should fix it up the way Ween did and submit it.

I just ask to keep in mind this is my opinion, and you don't have to listen if you don't care.

B&O: the First, the Best
Pennsy: the Standard, but still #2

My pix:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=11344
Railfan Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #16
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartY
I shouldn't have to argue a case for every picture because a particular screener has a bias about minor details of a shot, particularly those that have no material impact on the presentation of the picture.
We've all had rejections that can't be explained - I've had some recently (it was a scrapyard shot of a partly dismantled loco) where I thought 100%, this will get in, only to have it rejected on 'Bad Esthetics' - then seen similar shots by other contributors accepted within a few days.

From my point of view, I don't begrudge a rejection in itself - it tends to make me look at the shot more closely to see where it could be improved, but sometimes there does seem to be some inconsistency in the screening process.

A question to the site admins - When a shot is appealed, does it ensure that a different screener handles the process, or can it be picked up by the same person who rejected the shot in the first place ?

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #17
Ween

Quote:
Let me say this, there are more than a few much more talented photogs than I who have had enough with RP.net and have gone elsewhere, mainly because of junk like this.
So? People leaving because they got their feeling hurt isn't going to change how the screeners are screening. The inflow of new folks will always outweigh those who are unwilling to accept criticism of their work.

Let me ask you this, Bart...have you ever submitted a shot to a magazine or some other publication? Did they all get accepted? Why not? Were you being "nickel and dimed" by them too?

It isn't your "right" to post your stuff on RP; it's a privilege. The minor inconvenience you have to pay is your shot must be judged. If you feel that you are wronged, the appeal process is there to make it right (and it works; I'm probably well over 80% on my appeals).

Again, I'll ask, have you looked at my version?
Old 09-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #18
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo
A question to the site admins - When a shot is appealed, does it ensure that a different screener handles the process, or can it be picked up by the same person who rejected the shot in the first place ?
I'm not an admin, but I believe it has been explicitly stated that appeals go to a different screener.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-10-2007, 04:03 PM   #19
Rich K

I don't see the purpose of all this debate regarding the screening process here.

The process is imperfect, subjective, and arbitrary. Veteran and green pea alike, we all know that from the day we first submit here. It is what it is.

We all have had shots rejected for reasons we did not agree with, and most of us have appealed and had some accepted and some that were turned down too. We have all had shots rejected and after a little massaging we resubmitted and got them accepted.

Big deal.

Every now and then we get someone complaining about the screeners and/or the screening process and this pointless debate and defense begins anew.

BartY, the way I see it you can light a candle or curse the darkness. It is nothing personal with your shots and you are not the only photographer to struggle in the beginning. Your current submission needs only slight adjusting to improve both it's appearance and it's chances of approval by the screeners, but you somehow construe that as begging?

You have not submitted in two years. You did not like the screening process two years ago and you don't like it now.

We get it. To each his own. There are alternatives.

You can either choose to revise this shot, or continue to complain about the screeners and in the end still not get anything accepted here.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were all such great photographers that our shots right out of the camera were as good as they could possibly be? We could all delete our copies of Irafanview, Photoshop, etc. and live happily ever after.

I think there is a site where every shot is just fine right from the camera.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx

Good luck.

Webmaster of The Railfan Gallery

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.net

Last edited by Rich K; 09-10-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #20
Chris Starnes
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo
Steve,

Under normal circumstances the appeals will be reviewed with a second set of eyes. We attempt to gain at least two admin opinions before totally writing an image off.

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #21
rustyrail

I always read things here like: "Don't take rejections personally", "Hey, guys this is just a hobby, it's supposed to be fun", etc.

Whatever. It's no longer fun when you get nickel and dimed to death as mentioned earlier. Why put up with the headache? For example, let's take the updated version that was posted as a possible edit for resubmission. Come on... there's barely any noticable difference! Why on earth would one have to make such a minute change to get something accepted? Even though the change is so slight, it's not even worth the hassle. Is getting one's photos posted here worth all of this? I say no, and I believe the original poster and many silent others feel the same way.

Quote:
Let me ask you this, Bart...have you ever submitted a shot to a magazine or some other publication? Did they all get accepted? Why not?
I hear this frequently here, and I have to say this:

I believe there are different expectations when submitting to a magazine. Doesn't one expect a small fee if their work is used in a publication? Well, that's not the case when uploading here. If anything, we're providing revenue for the site without expecting anything in return, other than perhaps personal satisfaction and decent exposure if you care about that sort of thing. Otherwise, I think the majority of uploaders here do it just for fun, and when you get henpecked, it's no longer fun.
rustyrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #22
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrail
Whatever. It's no longer fun when you get nickel and dimed to death as mentioned earlier. I say no, and I believe the original poster and many silent others feel the same way.
I guess all many of us are saying is, hey, it happens. Now, perhaps you and Bart are the two people who run into the most conflict with screeners. Bum luck, someone has to be those two, I suppose. For most of us, the occasional disagreement is greatly outweighed by the benefits - we may run into problems from time to time, but in the overwhelming number of instances, the screening is done pretty well and, in the end, we learn from it.

I think you are missing out, and that you have a bad impression of the site. That's the real bum luck. But hey, if the notion of what makes a good picture is just different between you and RP, then you are right to move on! Nothing wrong with that. But I believe, based on what I read in these forums and elsewhere, that in many instances people just have too high opinion of their own work and aren't able to back away and be critical of their own stuff. I certainly did, and to a significant extent still have trouble being self-critical.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 09-10-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #23
WetRailsWA

Send a message via MSN to WetRailsWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
But I believe, based on what I read in these forums and elsewhere, that in many instances people just have too high opinion of their own work and aren't able to back away and be critical of their own stuff. I certainly did, and to a significant extent still have trouble being self-critical.
It's toughest when a person is critical of their own stuff, submits to RP what they feel is an honest candidate, and then gets rejected over and over and over and over and over and over and...well you get the idea.

My personal dry spell of acceptance started March 2006. I can understand why BartY is frustrated.
WetRailsWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #24
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetRailsWA
It's toughest when a person is critical of their own stuff, submits to RP what they feel is an honest candidate, and then gets rejected over and over and over and over and over and over and...well you get the idea.

My personal dry spell of acceptance started March 2006. I can understand why BartY is frustrated.
Well, this forum is full of helpful people. Show us your rejections! Learn from us; I learned a lot when I started out here, and still learn week-in week-out. I appreciate the frustration; it isn't always easy to figure out the reasons for rejection until you have seen them in play for a while (which one does if one reads these forums a lot, BTW). It helps to get a second opinion from a friendly person who is willing to respond to a post. This forum is full of such people.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #25
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

There is just too much to respond to so all I'm going to say is a little modesty goes a long way. Don't think your stuff is God's gift to the hobby and you'll improve.

FWIW, screeners can't see or know what time a photo was taken unless it is put in the UNDERUTILIZED "Comment to Screener" section. If it was taken in the summer months (May-Sept) and the highlights are overexposed we see it as high sun. As I have said before make sure you have detail in bright areas of the photo and it is dark enough and you'll avoid a "high sun" reject. A little creativity in compisition never hurts either.

-AB (who really needs to work on the rejection table)

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote