Old 11-20-2007, 12:36 AM   #26
BartY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
It is certainly quite possible I rotate more. I have gone below 0.5 degrees many times but I don't recall going that low, so I'm less rigorous than you. But if I am rotating (and I do, lots!), I do get it within the closest 0.1 degree. If you are going to do it, do it right!

Someone, maybe Mitch, will recall that at one time I was a bit more lax.
To me, that would be overly tedious. You'd have to blow up an image over 100% for that to even make a perceptible difference. If I feel I've got to go below .5 degrees, I probably won't bother to fix it unless it is VERY obvious.
BartY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:21 AM   #27
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartY
To me, that would be overly tedious. You'd have to blow up an image over 100% for that to even make a perceptible difference. If I feel I've got to go below .5 degrees, I probably won't bother to fix it unless it is VERY obvious.
No problem, standards and tastes differ. I rarely go under .5 myself, but if I am over .5, and I am already zoomed in and using the grid anyway, I go ahead and get it right. Jim Thias notices, I less so, perhaps you yet less. Sometimes RP lets something through that is so noticeable that even I see it, even in the thumbnail sometimes. We all differ. I always hope RP does something that resembles my standard, or stricter, but it's not my site.

My only grievance with your argument is the notion that slide scans are to be treated differently than digital captures for purposes of RP uploading.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:12 PM   #28
JimThias

If you have photoshop, there is nothing tedious nor time consuming about levelling an image. It's a simple three stop process, taking all of about 10 seconds. Click the measure tool, draw a line over a vertical or horizontal that you want as the levelled reference, select rotate image-->arbitrary-->click OK...VOILA! Level.

I don't see how levelling a shot could be any less important in the processing of an image, whether that involves contrast adjustments, saturation, color correction, sharpening, or whatever. It's just another step in the process, and it's the FIRST step I always do.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote