Old 10-12-2010, 03:18 AM   #1
BartY

Default Bad Color?? This is just what it looks like...

Since I can't get ANY of the screeners to give me any input as to what is wrong with the color in this shot...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=134218548

I'll pose it to you guys.

It has some bright green and red, but that's just the way the lash-up is painted. I went back into Photoshop and tried desaturating it a bit, but it made the grass and other features look dull and the colors lose their "pop".

To be honest, the color in the picture is a pretty accurate capture of the actual color of the locomotive and Thomas in the afternoon light as I remember it.
BartY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:38 AM   #2
coborn35

Love it. Sure To24. Color looks fine to me. Any way you could add a little more room off the right?
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:49 AM   #3
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

It's possible they think the green locomotive is over saturated. I'm guessing they just freshly painted it.

It's a little unlevel on my screen too I think.

Have you tried an appeal?
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
BartY

Yep, submitted it twice, appealed each time and rejected again. First time was for softness and color (I guess there wasn't sufficient depth of field on the coupler of Thomas, everything else was sharp) but the last time was just for the color. The perspective makes it look a tad unlevel, but I ran guidelines on the grab rails and other vertical elements and it is in fact level. As for the cropping, I was trying to cut out some shadows in the lower part of the frame and that's what I came up with. If it hadn't been parked out in the open like that it probably would have been covered up by shadows given the time of day.

I think it was repainted about a week before I took the picture. It hadn't even had enough time to get dirty yet.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

The color is off ( WB ) I think or just to bit dark? Don't stop trying.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
coborn35

Looks the same to me.
Image © Mike Mautner
PhotoID: 340955
Photograph © Mike Mautner
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 10-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
LSRC Railfan

Look at the two shots side by side and compare the sky. Your blues are definitely off. You also might get rejected for bad cropping.
LSRC Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
BartY

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSRC Railfan View Post
Look at the two shots side by side and compare the sky. Your blues are definitely off. You also might get rejected for bad cropping.
Probably a difference in the time of day/amount of haze in the sky.

I dunno, that's the problem with the screeners (as far as I can tell) seemingly refusing to comment on appeals any longer. You'll get a half dozen folks telling you that it looks fine, but you can't find out what the screener finds to be so objectionable about the image.

As to the cropping, as I mentioned before, there were shadows creeping up on the lower part of the frame that made it difficult to include more space on the sides.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
cblaz

The shot is too cold (blue). Add a small amount of red to warm it up.

- Chris
Old 10-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
crazytiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartY View Post
Probably a difference in the time of day/amount of haze in the sky.

I dunno, that's the problem with the screeners (as far as I can tell) seemingly refusing to comment on appeals any longer. You'll get a half dozen folks telling you that it looks fine, but you can't find out what the screener finds to be so objectionable about the image.

As to the cropping, as I mentioned before, there were shadows creeping up on the lower part of the frame that made it difficult to include more space on the sides.
Yeah, I just appealed a shot and half of my appeal was for them to tell me why it should be rejected. I got nothing back.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:59 AM   #11
LSRC Railfan

I took a screen shot of your rejected image and worked on the color for less than a minute in photoshop. Compare this to your rejected image. See why yours was rejected?

The screeners don't have time to go through and respond to every comment, especially if it's something obvious. If you don't understand the rejection, that's why they created the forums. Appealing an image multiple times or uncorrected uploads simply wear the screener's patience down. You gain nothing.

Even if you fix the color in your shot, it will still be rejected because the cropping is off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xx.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	878.7 KB
ID:	5848  
Old 10-13-2010, 03:06 AM   #12
coborn35

How is that obvious? I see one person that made that suggestion.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:28 AM   #13
LSRC Railfan

Open the rejected image and either my attachment or Mr. Mautner's picture and go back and forth. See the difference in the sky? It should be obvious that the sky if off in the rejected photo.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:06 AM   #14
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Here's another version for your consideration.

Chris Z
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thomas the tank engine copy.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	792.4 KB
ID:	5849  
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:24 AM   #15
BartY

Quote:
Open the rejected image and either my attachment or Mr. Mautner's picture and go back and forth. See the difference in the sky? It should be obvious that the sky if off in the rejected photo.
These two pictures were shot on two different days, at two different times of the day. Of course the sky is going to look different! So no, it isn't very obvious as to why they rejected my shot, hence why I asked for feedback.

All I am asking is for the screeners to provide constructive feedback as to why they reject photos like they used to. If, as you claim, it wears them down to have similar pictures submitted over and over, then perhaps they need to tell us what is wrong with it when we appeal it. Frankly, from a contributor's standpoint, it is VERY frustrating to have images rejected time and time again that appear to be well lit, properly exposed, level, in focus, and well composed for something that is highly subjective.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #16
LSRC Railfan

Quote:
These two pictures were shot on two different days, at two different times of the day. Of course the sky is going to look different! So no, it isn't very obvious as to why they rejected my shot, hence why I asked for feedback.
Quite honestly, I've never seen a sky quite like that. Look at it carefully. It seems to have a tint to it that's slightly off. The two photos might not be taken on the same day, but in both photos, you've got the sun behind you with blue sky in the background. If it is indeed "hazy" and you don't wish to correct the issue, the photo should be rejected for that. Again, switch back and forth between your rejected shot and one of the edits. You'll notice how the blue sky is blue and is missing the slight greenish tint. That's your issue. As Chris Z. and I have shown you, it's a fairly easy fix.

Quote:
All I am asking is for the screeners to provide constructive feedback as to why they reject photos like they used to. If, as you claim, it wears them down to have similar pictures submitted over and over, then perhaps they need to tell us what is wrong with it when we appeal it. Frankly, from a contributor's standpoint, it is VERY frustrating to have images rejected time and time again that appear to be well lit, properly exposed, level, in focus, and well composed for something that is highly subjective.
Yes, it's frustrating to have a photo rejected. But there are what, four screeners? They all have full time jobs and other commitments. They have a lot of photos coming in. That's why they created the forums. You get a rejection that you don't understand, you post it here and get constructive criticism. They don't have time to deal with people that are repeatedly appealing a shot or sending in uncorrected uploads.

I'm not meaning to be offensive, but rather trying to offer constructive criticism, but your photo may be well lit, properly exposed, level, and in focus, but it certainly isn't well composed. Your photo suffers from bad cropping (too much on the top, and there's no room to breathe on either side of the two locomotives). Color is certainly not "highly suggestive". It's one of the most important parts of a photograph.

You've got three people here that are willing to help you with this photo. Hopefully you'll realize your minor quirks with your photo and you use that criticism to improve your skills.

Did you take a different photo from this scene? One with more room on either side of the locomotive? If you had a different photo that addressed the cropping issue and spent a little bit of time adjusting the color, I do believe that the photo would make it on this site. As you said, is properly lit and in focus.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #17
coborn35

I hate when people use the "they are busy, they have jobs" excuse. If you are going to do something, do it the right way, or move aside and let someone else do it.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #18
JRMDC

Quote:
Yes, it's frustrating to have a photo rejected. But there are what, four screeners? They all have full time jobs and other commitments. They have a lot of photos coming in. That's why they created the forums. You get a rejection that you don't understand, you post it here and get constructive criticism. They don't have time to deal with people that are repeatedly appealing a shot or sending in uncorrected uploads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
I hate when people use the "they are busy, they have jobs" excuse. If you are going to do something, do it the right way, or move aside and let someone else do it.
Well, I am more willing to accept that, well, not "excuse", I'd call it an explanation. What one (righteously?) might call "the right way" is always limited by resources, whether money or time.

As for "move aside", well, I hear you, and I understand that at this point it might be quite difficult to start up a competitor to RP because RP is so well established, but I don't hear you or anyone volunteering to provide more screening time. Where are all these people for whom RP is not moving aside?

And while RP is picky, and the more standard the shot the more picky (and in my book the presence of Sir Thomas does not elevate a shot), I don't see that as a particular problem. The greater problem in my view is that people have a hard time accepting RP with flaws and just letting it ride. I too have a shot or two I think RP should have accepted.

At the same time, I do wish that RP could give feedback more clearly, and I do wonder how much of a burden it would have been, in this instance which seems to my weak eye marginal and hard to tell the problem, to have simply typed, say, "the sky" before rejecting, to give an indication.

Is that wishy-washy enough?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #19
coborn35

You dont hear anyone volunteering because no one will be allowed lol