Old 04-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
ns4eva

Question Composition/Balance Assistance

I'm back for some more suggestions and tips from all of you concerning a recent rejection.

I got snagged for Composition/Balance this time around. I assume I have to much rock and tree to the left, or cut to much from the right and bottom (I was trying to keep the train out of the center and keep the rocks showing).

Keep in mind I have cropped a fair bit from the original image, so I have plenty of play room.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=665527&key=0
Old 04-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

You got it just right, that whole rock formation is dominating too much of the scene. The bottom might be a bit too tight, but I think it's fine. I don't know if this is salvageable to tell you the truth. Because if you do move everything left, there's going to be nothing on the right hand side. We need more train.

Ben
Old 04-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
ns4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
We need more train.
Had a bad feeling that could also be a snag. I did get another photo of the train as it progressed through the turn, however the lead unit was out of focus . I suppose it would have been best to have caught another west bound that was on the other main track?

BTW, thanks for your input. It's always appreciated.

Last edited by ns4eva; 04-02-2009 at 04:17 PM. Reason: added more
ns4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Not a problem. Next time you go out, you'll learn from this and make a great shot, good luck!
Old 04-03-2009, 03:04 AM   #5
Mustang11

While it may not be the best angle for the train, I don't think you should rule it out yet. Plus it wasn't rejected for bad angle, rather composition and balance probably because of all the empty space in the top of the image.

First off the subject/loco follows the thirds rule, as it is located 1/3 of the way into the photograph from the right. The rocks make an interesting background and the lighting is ok in my opinion, but may be considered high sun by some because of the shadows on the plow.

I would suggest re-cropping and see what you get. My camera shoots at around 2000 x 3000 pixels (a rough 8x12 ratio) and many DSLRs are similar. You have an 8x10 ratio here meaning you have come in an inch on each side but left the height the same. Try sticking closer to your camera's original ratio and bring the height down something like what I attached and the rocks may be interesting enough to get it in.

Brian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	924.5 KB
ID:	3987  

My RailPictures.net Photos -- My fotopic.net Photos
Graphic Design & Photography portfolio site
Mustang11 is offline   Reply With Quote