Old 04-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz
Question Easy Question.

Here is one of the easiest questions most likely ever asked
I got this from someone i another post saying what his was
The Question is What is your Pet Peeve?

Mine is railfans who come and stare at you and not say a word and when you talk to them they get all pissed off. I had one the other day, yelling at me because i did not use a tripod to take a video of a train. (I admit, i am a little shaky, but i am not that bad! Its not like an earthquake, its like when your driving and hit a little bump in the road.)
Ben Kopicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Foamers who get in my shots.
Idiot foamers.
Foamers who talk when you're making audio or video recordings.
MLU when you don't want it...
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
PLEzero

I try to conduct myself in a professional manner. I realize that it is not a very common hobby to have and that it requires observing ordinary people doing their job. A job that is not always easy but is required to make a living just like everyone else. Unfortunately, from my observations it seems that most railfans, or foamers as I prefer to call these types of people, walk around completely clueless to the world that is going on outside of the little bubble in their head. Those people ruin the hobby for me most of the time. Sometimes some people need to get a clue, I know thatís harsh but it is what it is I suppose.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40
Foamers who get in my shots.
Idiot foamers.
Foamers who talk when you're making audio or video recordings.
MLU when you don't want it...
What is MLU?

Oh, for me, the word "foamer." I'm a railfan, not a foamer.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

I know this really shouldn't bother me, but railfans who wear hats full of buttons and pins accompanied by RR patches all over clothing including dirty/stained sweatpants (at the beginning of the day) just bother me. Of course, these are the ones who attempt to explain the hobby to curious passer-bys with jargon instead of simple language such as "old/historic locomotive" or "special train for a such-and-such festival". Maybe I am selfish but I want the word "railfan" to have a positive connotation not someone with their gut hanging out from their three-size-too-small UP T-shirt making a scene. I too try to dress professional or at least like I belong where I am. I've found that looking like a skier in winter (in the mountains obviously) prevents weird looks even if you aren't near any resorts you could still be enjoying the local hillsides. Wearing 'native' clothing such as local sports teams or college hats and shirts help prevent the usual looks and questions as well, sometimes.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960

Last edited by Andrew Blaszczyk (2); 04-02-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
KevinM

Smile

LOL! Good thread.

Pet peave #1: The kid with the tripod and video camera who insists on placing it 3 ft from the locomotive...and leaving it there....so no other fans can get a clean shot.

Pet peave #2: Why do the heavy black smoke plumes always seem to disappear COMPLETELY whenever a steam engine gets within range of my camera.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
Darryl Rule

#1 The guy who shows up right as the train shows up and runs in front of everyone. Hence the reason I don't like going to "Railfest" type events as much as just going out shooting somewhere, but you got to do it to get certain shots.

#2 This one is a new one for me, but it has happened 4 or 5 times in the past few months. I can't stand the guy that comes up to me and asks what kind of camera and lens I am using then tries to tell me his 20-800mm F6 lens is better than mine because it goes to 800mm and mine only goes to 200 or straight 300mm. I just laugh when said railfan has to stop shooting as soon as the sun dims a bit, and I just keep dropping down to F2.8 and wave as he watches.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
Arne H. B.

Funny idea for a thread! There hasn't been much that really bothers me when I am out shooting, but it seems a few people do walk out right in front of me when I have a tripod set up, and then turn around and stare. maybe they want their face in your photo, or they are just being a jerk but usually a polite excuse me will move them over. I would say aside from railfanning, the thing that bothers me most is drivers in a busy parking lot who decide to wait for someone to load their groceries and block the entire lane while their blinker is winking at everyone waiting....all while there is ample parking 7 or 8 stalls further
Arne H. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

PRR E8's...Buffalo Line...chasers...double yellow...empty mountain road...log truck...JUST GO AROUND!

Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #10
cassfan3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne H. B.
I would say aside from railfanning, the thing that bothers me most is drivers in a busy parking lot who decide to wait for someone to load their groceries and block the entire lane while their blinker is winking at everyone waiting....all while there is ample parking 7 or 8 stalls further
Wow, I think this is my greatest pet peeve of all time. Maybe I just don't like lazy people. If i think someone is blocking traffic to get my parking space, i won't pull out until they give up so the next person stuck behind them can have it. Does that make me immature?

As far as railfanning, I'm going to have to go with Andrew. I loathe those people who seem to have not used their TV for anything but train videos for the past 5 yrs. and are unable to carry on normal conversation with the general public about anything other than the history and specs of the nearest SD40 or how mind blowing it was when you saw UP 844.

-Nick McLean
Greenville, NC
cassfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassfan3
Wow, I think this is my greatest pet peeve of all time. Maybe I just don't like lazy people. If i think someone is blocking traffic to get my parking space, i won't pull out until they give up so the next person stuck behind them can have it.
If I'm in a certain mood and see this, I will put my stuff in my car, lock the car and walk back into the store just to p*ss them off. Better yet, just get in the car, lean the seat back and make it plainly obvious I ain't moving until they do.

This happens a lot at Wal Mart and usually it's some 300 pound 30 year old woman with her one hundred and fifty pound ten year old son and eighty pound six year old daughter.

I mostly railfan alone in an area where not many people railfan which, it seems, pretty much gurantees a much less likelihood of running into a moron.

Joe
Old 04-02-2008, 10:06 PM   #12
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
I know this really shouldn't bother me, but railfans who wear hats full of buttons and pins accompanied by RR patches all over clothing including dirty/stained sweatpants (at the beginning of the day) just bother me. Of course, these are the ones who attempt to explain the hobby to curious passer-bys with jargon instead of simple language such as "old/historic locomotive" or "special train for a such-and-such festival". Maybe I am selfish but I want the word "railfan" to have a positive connotation not someone with their gut hanging out from their three-size-too-small UP T-shirt making a scene. I too try to dress professional or at least like I belong where I am. I've found that looking like a skier in winter (in the mountains obviously) prevents weird looks even if you aren't near any resorts you could still be enjoying the local hillsides. Wearing 'native' clothing such as local sports teams or college hats and shirts help prevent the usual looks and questions as well, sometimes.
Bingo!

And RP.net contributors that leave remark/caption info BLANK. Picture may be worth a thousand words, but a couple of yours explaining it wouldn't hurt...

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #13
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244
Bingo!

And RP.net contributors that leave remark/caption info BLANK. Picture may be worth a thousand words, but a couple of yours explaining it wouldn't hurt...
A Bingo! from me!

I wasn't feeling peevish today until I read this post, now GRUMP GRUMP GRUMP.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:40 PM   #14
ccaranna

Quote:
Bingo!

Uh Oh...don't get me started on captions. I have the opposing viewpoint and have valiantly tried to defend it in the past.

Example (with caption sample):

Image © C. Joseph Renella
PhotoID: 210685
Photograph © C. Joseph Renella

"A TRAIN."
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:04 AM   #15
nanshant

Quote:
PRR E8's...Buffalo Line...chasers...double yellow...empty mountain road...log truck...JUST GO AROUND!

I'm guessing the pet peeve here would be slow drivers while trying to chase a train. I couldn't agree more. In one particular location that happens to be across the river from Andrew's Buffalo Line, trying to get ahead of a train on Route 11/15 between Enola and Duncannon is not easy due to the double yellow lines and slow drivers.

Nick
nanshant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:30 AM   #16
bigiron

Quote:
I know this really shouldn't bother me, but railfans who wear hats full of buttons and pins accompanied by RR patches all over clothing including dirty/stained sweatpants (at the beginning of the day) just bother me. Of course, these are the ones who attempt to explain the hobby to curious passer-bys with jargon instead of simple language such as "old/historic locomotive" or "special train for a such-and-such festival". Maybe I am selfish but I want the word "railfan" to have a positive connotation I too try to dress professional or at least like I belong where I am. I've found that looking like a skier in winter (in the mountains obviously) prevents weird looks even if you aren't near any resorts you could still be enjoying the local hillsides. Wearing 'native' clothing such as local sports teams or college hats and shirts help prevent the usual looks and questions as well, sometimes.
Andrew,

Aside from the "native clothing" you mentioned, what would you consider proper railfan attire? ( Nice description too, lol....."not someone with their gut hanging out from their three-size-too-small UP T-shirt making a scene.")

Now some of my annoyances, definitely people plowing their way to the front of the scene after you've waited much longer at a certain spot...in the photos below I just let them do their thing and used the "human element" to create the theme in these two pictures...

Image © Rich Clark
PhotoID: 226129
Photograph © Rich Clark

Image © Rich Clark
PhotoID: 225114
Photograph © Rich Clark

Since I've always taken video, the people that walk up while a train approaches and mention right INTO the microphone, "I see you are taking video too" !

Then there is the instance when you've waited hours to see that first train and figure you can catch it a couple of more times at some ideal spots on that sunny Sunday and bam, the Sunday drivers are out enjoying the view and doing 5 mph less than the speed limit and you want to do 10 over it, LOL.

Ay yes , the beauty of our hobby.
Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:39 AM   #17
RicHamilton

People tagging along with you that don't dress appropriately for the weather. Minus 15C plus windchill in the winter means you bring a warm coat, hat and gloves dumba$$. Or the ones wanting to stop for their must have 'big meal' of the day. Bring a freaking lunch and snack and no you can't have one of my bottles of water.....
RicHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:41 AM   #18
lock4244

Had that happen on the weekend. Waited an hour, as the train approaches a birdwatcher (I think) strolls down the middle of the track, then moves to the side of the RofW as the train bears donw on him, but he is in every shot. I guess the camera wasn't obvious enough, nor our brief conversation where I basically said I "waiting to photograph the train".

Give me a 12 gauge and I'll go "birding".

More Pics Here

Last edited by lock4244; 04-03-2008 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:42 AM   #19
Freericks
Met Fan

Okay - got to thinking and started a list (echoing many of you, I know)...

1) Cars that pull into your shot at a grade crossing in a rural location, where there is nothing there and no need to be so close to the train.

2) Railfan hating railfans -- you know who you are.

3) The jabber-alls (as previously mentioned by others here regarding attire and hygene)... guys who just need to verbally demonstrate that they know a lot less than they think they know.

4) The I'm not telling you anything guys - who have just heard that the ATSF 3751 has been fired up to run an Amtrak train over Tehachappi and will be there in five minutes, but silently watch you leave without telling you.

5) People who let their kids play on active tracks (let's put some pennies on the rail... oh is that the third rail, what's that for?).

6) Red lights that take five minutes while I'm trying to get ahead of a train.

7) New subdivisions built near the tracks that have no roads getting to the tracks and leave you completely baffled as how to get out of the myriad of cul-de-sacs (cul-de-sac is French for "now you're screwed" by the way).

9) Trains way down the track that don't move until you finally give up and decide you'll drive down there to see what's going on.

Last edited by Freericks; 04-03-2008 at 01:50 AM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:43 AM   #20
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicHamilton
People tagging along with you that don't dress appropriately for the weather. Minus 15C plus windchill in the winter means you bring a warm coat, hat and gloves dumba$$. Or the ones wanting to stop for their must have 'big meal' of the day. Bring a freaking lunch and snack and no you can't have one of my bottles of water.....
My first rule... railfan alone.

My second rule... if someone must tag along, they can do it in their own car while I'm in mine.

More Pics Here
Old 04-03-2008, 02:07 AM   #21
Railfan Ohio

Mine would be the people that are completely oblivious to the fact that they are standing on the tracks. For instance, a group of us at Marion were waiting for a train with another one sitting just short of the crossing. A group of people, complete with small children, were taking a stroll and stopped on the tracks at the road crossing with a train sitting across from them. We didn't say anything, but instead let them know they were idiots by taking pictures and video of them.

B&O: the First, the Best
Pennsy: the Standard, but still #2

My pix:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=11344
Railfan Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:11 AM   #22
bigiron

Quote:
My first rule... railfan alone.

My second rule... if someone must tag along, they can do it in their own car while I'm in mine.
Yikes Mike, how about being environmentally friendly and use one car ?
If all railfans follow your advice we can expect another spike in gasoline prices .
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:28 AM   #23
crazyrailfan

I think one of my biggest pet peeves when railfanning in cities is the nimrod that will come up and ask you stupid questions like, "Have you not seen a train before?", and like mentioned above, the idiots with children that walk on the tracks or are way too close WHEN the train is coming. Perfect example: I railfanned in Saginaw, TX last year and had a family with small kids walking about 5' from the main track on the BNSF Ft. Worth Sub, A SB Autorack was coming into the interlocker and had to do the lay on the horn sequence to get them to move. The Guy I was with and I were amazed at how dumb they were.
crazyrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:30 AM   #24
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicHamilton
Or the ones wanting to stop for their must have 'big meal' of the day. Bring a freaking lunch and snack and no you can't have one of my bottles of water.....
Ah, good one!!! Locally, I know where the food joints are near the tracks but if I'm away from home eating is last on the priority list. Luckily summer provides a nice midday break to get some food, gas, and drive to new locations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
cul-de-sac is French for "now you're screwed" by the way
Hahaha!

Old 04-03-2008, 02:42 AM   #25
classiclights

Quote:
I know this really shouldn't bother me, but railfans who wear hats full of buttons and pins accompanied by RR patches all over clothing including dirty/stained sweatpants (at the beginning of the day) just bother me.
Andrew - You mean a cap something like this: