Old 06-15-2012, 03:38 AM   #1
Amtrakdavis22

Thumbs down Is someone Trolling?

I've noticed recently that a lot of the pictures added to the database will quickly receive a 1 star rating. Also, other photos that will have a 5 will suddenly drop down to a 3 star. Could this be someone who is angry at RailPictures (or maybe the world) going through and rating every photo a 1 star? If so, would there be anyway to stop it. It seems like this kind of action really brings down the usefulness of the rating system. Anyone have any thoughts to this?

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

"Love the sound of that shutter!" -Peter Lik
Old 06-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
Joe the Photog

I'm not a fan of the rating system for this very reason. One of my recent shots started withh a one star rating whichh made me wonder if he hated my shot, the subject of the shot or just the weather.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
jnohallman

My newest photo on the site received a 1 star rating immediately. It would be nice if you could see who the users are who rated your photo, even if you couldn't see what rating each individual gave. Of course, if a certain rodent is responsible, it would mark the first time he seems to have even bothered with one of my photos. Maybe I've arrived?

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:05 AM   #4
sd9

maybe it's Tom Heck
Old 06-15-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
Heymon

I think rating systems are overrated. Let views and comments be the indicators. I never look at ratings nor do I feel compelled to give them. If any of my photos have ratings I would put no stock in it. I post photos I like and comment when the mood strikes me, but there's no accounting for taste and people may not like what I like. So what?

Andre
Old 06-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #6
ACR_Ted

Seeing as how one does not need to be logged in to rate a photo, I certainly would not be overly concerned about the ratings. I'd think that RP should require a login first before rating a photo.

Probably some kid or other immature clown just trying to get people stirred up....

Ted
Old 06-15-2012, 05:35 AM   #7
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtrakdavis22 View Post
I've noticed recently that a lot of the pictures added to the database will quickly receive a 1 star rating. Also, other photos that will have a 5 will suddenly drop down to a 3 star. Could this be someone who is angry at RailPictures (or maybe the world) going through and rating every photo a 1 star? If so, would there be anyway to stop it. It seems like this kind of action really brings down the usefulness of the rating system. Anyone have any thoughts to this?
Start showing who rated the photo what and watch how quick the weasels are weeded out. . .

Old 06-15-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
Holloran Grade
Banned

Default Voldemort and his minions low rate images of their foes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
My newest photo on the site received a 1 star rating immediately. It would be nice if you could see who the users are who rated your photo, even if you couldn't see what rating each individual gave. Of course, if a certain rodent is responsible, it would mark the first time he seems to have even bothered with one of my photos. Maybe I've arrived?

Jon
Voldemort and his band of delusional followers are going through and doing that.

The rating system is not really indicative of how good the photo is, only the opinion of those who bothered to rate it.

Also, like the People's Choice photo, it does not take that many people to skew the ratings if a number of people all vote the same way like we did with "the paper."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
maybe it's Tom Heck
Tom Heck does not appear to be rating photos, since I have a number of them that he has favorited with no rating whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHapsias View Post
Start showing who rated the photo what and watch how quick the weasels are weeded out. . .

You know who the weasels are....

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 06-15-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
AntD.

The star rating system is a waste and a joke at that... I say get rid of it.

I get 1 star 'cause I'm black...

Cruel, Cruel World out there I tell ya!

My RP Photos

My Flickr Photos

My RRPA Photos

YouTube Videos
Old 06-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I smell a rat.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
Old 06-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
Ween

Well, it looks like someone went through and deleted one of these 1-star votes on my latest photo. I noticed it received a 1-star vote (I was watching only because I saw one of Tim Stevens' shots was rated at 1-star yesterday...clearly someone needs a brain check if they're rating his stuff that low), then my shot was showing an overall 3-star rating with 2 votes (the 1-star and a 5-star), and then later tonight it was at 5-stars with only 2 votes. I feel bad if the Admin is wasting time going back and actively purging this stuff...
Old 06-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
willig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymon View Post
I think rating systems are overrated.
I love it!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntD. View Post
The star rating system is a waste and a joke at that... I say get rid of it.

I get 1 star 'cause I'm black...

Cruel, Cruel World out there I tell ya!
Oh No I didn't know that LOL Geuss Im pink

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
Old 06-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
JimThias

If anyone has their previously 5 star rating lowered, just post the image here and we'll boost it back up.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 06-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
JRMDC

Any chance there is someone new out there who simply thinks that 1 is the best and 5 the worst? Can't imagine why, but maybe in some culture or mode out there someone does it opposite?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 06-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #16
JimThias

This thread currently only has two stars.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 06-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

"Look Johnny, you've done what you've been told to do all do, so you get a gold star!"
Old 06-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #18
jac_murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymon View Post
I think rating systems are overrated. Let views and comments be the indicators. I never look at ratings nor do I feel compelled to give them. If any of my photos have ratings I would put no stock in it. I post photos I like and comment when the mood strikes me, but there's no accounting for taste and people may not like what I like. So what?

Andre

-Jacques
Attached Images
File Type: jpg significant merit.jpg (67.2 KB, 624 views)
Old 06-16-2012, 03:51 AM   #19
Holloran Grade
Banned

Exclamation This is really sad.

Daniel Valentine

The "not so bright" are finally catching on.

Is someone Trolling? - RailPictures.Net Forums
forums.railpictures.net

Nick Rynes So basically, they re getting mad because no one likes their photos. The only reason I give a 1 star is if it's a chastity g photo that's terrible or any other photo that I don't believe is that great. They should just take our opinions and stop whining about it to their mommies. "Mommy they rated my photo a 1! Tell them to stop it! Wah!'

Lukas Fols So we're the ones doing it? Awesome

Mike Antal Another indicator that sheds light on the fact that they all don't shoot photos for themselves but for RP instead. If they shot the photo for the hell of it and it got rated a 1 or a 2, the simple response would be "so you don't like my photo? Okay, who cares, I do because I'm the one who shot it". I've had some of my photos get rated low, but did I care? Nope. Did I whine about it to anyone? Nope. Did I whine about it enough and let it get to me enough to actually take the effort to get somebody to go in manually and change the rating to what I thought it should be? MOST DEFINITELY NOT.

Daniel Valentine One reply...."I smell a rat"

Give that idiot a gold star!

Matt Sell And on one of the messages on there Dan is Voldemort and we are his followers. I dont see how being Voldemort is a bad thing. He is a powerful character and it takes the entire series for Harry to best him. And if Dan is Voldemort than must mean Chase is Harry Potter!! As for us being Dans followers and a strange bunch we are according to them. That is most amusing. Just because I agree with Dan that RP is a joke doesnt mean Ill follow him over a cliff. And last, oh no...they got a "1" star. We oh hell the world is going to end! GET a damn life. Its about shooting for oneself and enjoying it, not trying to please others.

Proof positive that everyone needs a purpose in life, no matter how ridiculous and mundane.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #20
Freericks
Met Fan

Wow - that is some psychotic crap. Do they not have lithium in PA?
Old 06-16-2012, 04:22 AM   #21
Joe the Photog

What I don't get is why they thought we needed a rating system. Aside from comments and favorites, there's also a PCA not to mention the Screeners Choice, etc. If you're really going to do a valid rating system, it needs to tell us the user who rated and a comment on why you gave it that raiting. I can deal with a "I gave you one star because it's cloudy/common and I have a psychotic vendetta against RP" better than just getting a one star.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:25 AM   #22
Freericks
Met Fan

Joe... the more interaction you have on a website, the more people will return. From a business standpoint it makes a lot of sense.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:29 AM   #23
Joe the Photog

Eventually they all go out like MySpace anyway.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:35 AM   #24
Joe the Photog

The funny thing is that Dan and his disciples aren't really reading these posts. Most of us are saying the rating system doesn't work. And by admitting they are giving some photos here one star is actually proof it doesn't work. So they really aren't accomplishing anything? Then they complained that an admin went in and took out thheir one star vote? Classic, but not surprising.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:49 AM   #25
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The funny thing is that Dan and his disciples aren't really reading these posts. Most of us are saying the rating system doesn't work. And by admitting they are giving some photos here one star is actually proof it doesn't work. So they really aren't accomplishing anything? Then they complained that an admin went in and took out thheir one star vote? Classic, but not surprising.
Oh, nothing's changed. They have responded to quite a few threads where the folks on here were being critical or suggesting changes and said "they are all sycophants."

Well, maybe they didn't use that word. That's tenth grade.
Closed Thread