Old 11-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #26
D.Massey

So it’s not the link but the thumbnail that’s the copyright violation. That makes sense, is posting a thumbnail of someone else’s photo in Railpictures forum a copyright violation?

Doyle Massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
He doesn't post links anymore, he's posting an actual thumbnail, which in fact IS a photo of our work. He's not claiming they are of his own (and I already know what's going to come out of his mouth in reply to that, something like "I wouldn't claim they are my own even with a gun to my head"), but he didn't ask our permission.

Ben

And I know the Rat is LOVING this conversation, he feeds off of it.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #27
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
And he has blocked pretty much everyone from contacting him, besides his "posse" of anti RP members.

Ben
Of course, because he's too much of a coward when confronted by those he is talking sh*t about. And you can damn well bet he's going to run like a scared little school girl when any one of us confront him in person. Oh, I can't wait for the day...

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 11-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #28
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Doyle, depends. Most of us are pretty civil to each other, MOST of us. So when we post a shot of someone elses we give the name of the photog and say something like "nice work, so and so". And when we do actually post a thumbnail, it automatically gives credit to the photog beneath it.

Ben
Old 11-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #29
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Massey View Post
That makes sense, is posting a thumbnail of someone elseís photo in Railpictures forum a copyright violation?
That would be like asking if setting up a nativity scene in a church on Christmas is a violation of the seperation of church and state.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 11-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #30
D.Massey

Jim Iím not sure Iím following you, if you need someoneís permission to use their image on a website or in a forum discussion, would that not be the same thing as using someoneís image in a discussion on railpictures forum. I may upload a picture to railpictures but I did not upload it to the discussion forum. I only ask this because I thought I understood copyright laws but maybe not so much.

Doyle Massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
That would be like asking if setting up a nativity scene in a church on Christmas is a violation of the seperation of church and state.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #31
Ween

Quote:
So it’s not the link but the thumbnail that’s the copyright violation. That makes sense, is posting a thumbnail of someone else’s photo in Railpictures forum a copyright violation?

Doyle Massey
It's not a thumbnail. It's the full up picture, but Yahoo! Groups automatically downsizes when you upload a photo to be the Group's homepage photo. And that's what he's doing: he's posting other people's photos he lifted from RP on his Group's homepage to show as an example of the "sh*tty" work RP accepts. Last I checked, he was doing a daily update, a new photo every day.

One could make the argument that since these photos appear on the front page of his Group, he's using them to basically advertise his Group, a daily "check out the worst of what RP is accepting today". And while he's not making money off of the photos himself, Yahoo! is from the ad revenue. And since they're illegally posted there, Yahoo! isn't going to want to be responsible for a copyright violation.

If he happens to post enough people's photos illegally and those folks are motivated enough to let Yahoo! know...bye-bye Rat.

Last edited by Ween; 11-13-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #32
D.Massey

I think thatís what I didnít understand, because when you click on the thumbnail it brings you back to Railpictures. Thanks Ween

Doyle Massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
It's not a thumbnail. It's the full up picture, but Yahoo! Groups automatically downsizes when you upload a photo to be the Group's homepage photo.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #33
JimThias

Quote:
Jim I’m not sure I’m following you, if you need someone’s permission to use their image on a website or in a forum discussion, would that not be the same thing as using someone’s image in a discussion on railpictures forum. I may upload a picture to railpictures but I did not upload it to the discussion forum. I only ask this because I thought I understood copyright laws but maybe not so much.

Doyle Massey
Sorry, Doyle...just joking with you.

Since these RP forums are operated as part of the entire site where the pictures are hosted, I'm sure there are ZERO copyright issues with images being posted on the forum of the site that the images are hosted on.

Last edited by JimThias; 11-13-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #34
Ween

Well, no need to contact Yahoo!...apparently this thread has frightened him enough to change the way he does business. Now he has one of his own photos on the homepage and this text:
Quote:
This group is strictly informational
Hmmm...why would he post that little disclaimer?

There's really only one word that describes this clown: Fail

Glad to see his tough guy act only goes so far before he winces away in fear...but we already knew that was a character trait when he didn't show up in Owosso this summer for fear of running into Jim Thias.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #35
crazytiger

It seems y'all have gathered information from somewhere I didn't know about, like the guy's name, that he knows about this thread and all the copied pics.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
Old 11-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #36
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

His little online playpen is now private. You guys suck. I really did enjoy his craziness. It was very comical and it made me laugh in these post 9/11 tough times.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #37
Darryl Rule

I can assure you that "NS Brick" is not The Rat. I know who it is. He said he was going to pose this question yesterday when I talked to him because one of his shots as used for the first time on the aforementioned Yahoo Group. The Rat doesn't have the guts to join here and hold a civil conversation, plus he can't spell. I too am sad his group is now private. His insane rants were much needed after long boring days at work. Oh well!!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #38
JimThias

So the sexless coward has gone into hiding like a frightened school girl?? That's rich, man!

Old 11-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #39
jnohallman

Making the group private also, unfortunately, makes it easier for The Rat to avoid be called on the carpet for the copyright violations. By keeping any RP member out of the group, he can prevent us from seeing what's posted and raising the issue with Yahoo. Wonder if it would be worth dropping a line to Yahoo and inquiring about that . . .

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
Old 11-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #40
Ween

BTW, attached is an example of how he was violating copyright laws compared to what his current homepage looks like. You can see how the coward changed things because of this thread.

Dang, Dan...sucks about cached pages, don't it?

Fail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rodent Fail.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	4859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rodent Fail 2.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	4860  
Old 11-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #41
Ween

And even though he left the RP copyright bar on those stolen photos, he may want to read this nugget:
http://www.railpictures.net/usage/

Quote:
All photos displayed on this website (www.railpictures.net) are Copyrighted © by their original photographers, and may not be reused in any way without express written permission. All photos on this website are licensed to RailPictures.Net.

Any unauthorized use of these photos, be it for commercial or non-commercial use, is in violation of U.S. and international copyright law and is strictly forbidden.

You may not alter, crop, resize, reproduce, or distribute these photos in any fashion without permission from the owner.
Fail.

Again.

Last edited by Ween; 11-13-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #42
Ween

And another nugget of fun:
http://info.yahoo.com/copyright/us/details.html

Quote:
Yahoo! respects the intellectual property of others, and we ask our users to do the same. Yahoo! has no responsibility for content on other websites that you may find or access when using Yahoo!’s products or services. Material available on or through other websites may be protected by copyright and the intellectual property laws of the United States and/or other countries. The terms of use of those websites, and not the Yahoo! Terms of Service, govern your use of that material.
Oops. Still can't justify your stealing of photos from RP, Dan.

Fail.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #43
troy12n
Banned

Wow, I must be out of the loop, who is "the rat"?
Old 11-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #44
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Not to mention the slander he's been doing about me lately. I wouldn't know anything about it except I have some friends who have brought it to my attention, basically with a "what's this all about?" perspective. Really, I don't know what it's all about. Some odd fascination and hard on he has for me, I guess. NTTAWWT.
"what's this all about?"
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/grou...th/message/687

Old 11-13-2009, 11:52 PM   #45
Ween

This makes me laugh:
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/grou...th/message/706

Because no where in there does he address what he was doing as pointed out in this post:
http://forums.railpictures.net/showp...3&postcount=40

Tell us, Dan, how do you explain that away?

Oops.

You fool no one.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:13 AM   #46
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

He's posting his own photos on the home page now. Funny stuff.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:42 AM   #47
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

I don't think I've ever seen a bigger whiner than the rat. He's worse than a bunch of old whining women in a nursing home. I wouldn't pay him any attention.

Chris Z.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #48
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a bigger whiner than the rat. He's worse than a bunch of old whining women in a nursing home. I wouldn't pay him any attention.

Chris Z.
I think his dipper is full

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
Old 11-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #49
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

He said one of my shots had nice colour but should have been rejected because it was front-coupled.
I felt honoured that he had nothing really bad to say about it, just usual dribble.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
Old 11-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #50
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
He said one of my shots had nice colour but should have been rejected because it was front-coupled.
I felt honoured that he had nothing really bad to say about it, just usual dribble.
If he doesn't know what he's talking about when he generally kicks our shosts around, how is it that he knows what he's talking about when he says something nice about them?